Backup Workflow Assistance

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Backup Workflow Assistance

Postby NN635830684188779139UL » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:41 am

Hi All!

New Capture One user here. I'm trying to migrate my existing workflow over from Lightroom. I've been working on this for a couple of days now and watched everything I can find online. I'm wondering if I'm pushing the proverbial uphill by attempting to work the way I always have, and so I'm looking for a little advice on how this process might be adapted to Capture One or how I might achieve a similar workflow in Capture One.

So, allow me to lay out how I work.

My workflow looks like this after a shoot:

1. Copy memory cards to dropbox (this gives me three copies of my images immediately)

2. Import those images into my "working catalog" (This contains my last month's work in Lightroom)

3. Post process, deliver

4. Open master catalog on external drive (these are my archive drives) - import work from previous month while copying raw files to archive drive

5. Backup archive drive

6. Remove working files from dropbox as they are now backed up elsewhere

The troubles that I'm having with Capture One start at Step 4. There seems to be no convenient way to import from one catalog to another in Capture One while copying the original images to a new location. I have to move them manually within the new catalog after importing. However, in my experience, even this doesn't refresh to folder hierarchy effectively in Capture One (sometimes files are present in the folder on disk, but not in the capture one hierarchy, however they are visible in Capture One collections).

To be honest, at this stage I'm regretting my purchase and would love some help!
NN635830684188779139UL

Re: Backup Workflow Assistance

Postby Ian3 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 am

It seems to me that your preferred way of working would work well with a Session used for the current month's work instead of a catalog. Sessions are ideally suited to this kind of workflow, and when you move on to the next month you can simply import the session into your master catalog. (Or if you prefer not to import the whole session, import just the images you want. For example, the default session structure has 4 folders for Capture, Selects, Output and Trash. I just import the Selects and Output into my catalog when the month, vacation, or whatever is finished.)

Ian
Ian3

Postby NN635830684188779139UL » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:22 pm

Ian3 wrote:It seems to me that your preferred way of working would work well with a Session used for the current month's work instead of a catalog. Sessions are ideally suited to this kind of workflow, and when you move on to the next month you can simply import the session into your master catalog. (Or if you prefer not to import the whole session, import just the images you want. For example, the default session structure has 4 folders for Capture, Selects, Output and Trash. I just import the Selects and Output into my catalog when the month, vacation, or whatever is finished.)

Ian

Thanks a lot, Ian. I'll look into this. Still struggling to understand the file management of Capture One.
NN635830684188779139UL

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:28 pm

I agree with Ian3.

I suspect you might be overworking your backup process as well - good to have the locations but less good if it causes additional work and stress in your work flow. Did I read it right that you delete from Dropbox when you have processed the images? Do you have an alternative "off-site" storage?

Also ... do you load the catalogue from your Dropbox account rather than one of your local disks? (did I misunderstand your description at that point?)

If I am travelling (lite and by air) I back up cards to a netbook and, when time and battery allows, an external disk. Also keep the memory cards available unless I really need to re-use them.

On return I will use one of those sources to import to a (usually new) session.

I keep the previous backups at this point.

When the session post processing is well under way or more likely complete - it depends on the purpose of the work - I copy the entire session to an external disk or disks or, more recently, a NAS used mostly as a storage unit rather than a network file server.

I should probably run regular backups but I tend not to. I do undertake irregular backups when I feel it to be sensible.

I don't use catalogues but working with sessions it would be easy enough to create one or more catalogues should I wish to for what I would consider to be "archived" work. I might do that one day if I ever get around to adding Keywords to significant parts of my old collections.

To copy completed edits from one catalogue to another it is my understanding that you would first export the selected images complete with their edit details and then import the files to your target catalogue. So 2 step process but not too difficult. I'm sure someone with practical experience of that process will drop by and comment at some point.

HTH

Grant
SFA

Postby Bobtographer » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:00 pm

A session would certainly save you a couple of steps.

I run a single session and just point C1 towards the folder with the images I want to work on - no importing needed. So you could copy the files over to your Dropbox folder, and then point C1 to that folder.

Then once you've delivered all you need to do is backup your folder from dropbox.
AMD R1700 OC 3.8GHz | AMD R9 Fury 4GB | 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz DDR 4 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe
LG 27UD88 | LG 27 ColorPrime | C1 11.3 | Win10 64Pro 1803
Bobtographer

Postby IanL » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:09 pm

NN635830684188779139UL wrote:My workflow looks like this after a shoot:

1. Copy memory cards to dropbox (this gives me three copies of my images immediately)

2. Import those images into my "working catalog" (This contains my last month's work in Lightroom)

3. Post process, deliver

4. Open master catalog on external drive (these are my archive drives) - import work from previous month while copying raw files to archive drive

5. Backup archive drive

I also agree with the other posters here specifically is how it could work in your current work flow (your word copied and tweaked in bold):

2. Import those images into this project's session (This contains just the images from the current project)

3. Post process, deliver

4. Copy the finished project's session and images to archive drive

5. Open master catalog on external drive (these are my archive drives) - import work from project's session into the master cataloge

6. Backup archive drive

7. Remove working files from dropbox as they are now backed up elsewhere
IanL

Postby IanL » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:10 pm

I should have added that's pretty much how I do things except I don't use drop box - my back up is just different.
IanL

Postby NN635830684188779139UL » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:30 am

IanL wrote:
NN635830684188779139UL wrote:My workflow looks like this after a shoot:

3. Post process, deliver

5. Backup archive drive

I also agree with the other posters here specifically is how it could work in your current work flow (your word copied and tweaked in bold):

2. Import those images into this project's session (This contains just the images from the current project)

3. Post process, deliver

4. Copy the finished project's session and images to archive drive

5. Open master catalog on external drive (these are my archive drives) - import work from project's session into the master cataloge

6. Backup archive drive

7. Remove working files from dropbox as they are now backed up elsewhere

Thanks, Ian. This is what I'd understood from your previous post and have worked this into my current flow. Although it means I now have sessions littered about for each project, it does eventually serve the same purpose. A little messy, but it seems the best way to do it within Capture One's system. Thanks for the help.
NN635830684188779139UL

Postby NN635830684188779139UL » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:32 am

SFA wrote:I agree with Ian3.

I suspect you might be overworking your backup process as well - good to have the locations but less good if it causes additional work and stress in your work flow. Did I read it right that you delete from Dropbox when you have processed the images? Do you have an alternative "off-site" storage?

Also ... do you load the catalogue from your Dropbox account rather than one of your local disks? (did I misunderstand your description at that point?)

If I am travelling (lite and by air) I back up cards to a netbook and, when time and battery allows, an external disk. Also keep the memory cards available unless I really need to re-use them.

On return I will use one of those sources to import to a (usually new) session.

I keep the previous backups at this point.

When the session post processing is well under way or more likely complete - it depends on the purpose of the work - I copy the entire session to an external disk or disks or, more recently, a NAS used mostly as a storage unit rather than a network file server.

I should probably run regular backups but I tend not to. I do undertake irregular backups when I feel it to be sensible.

I don't use catalogues but working with sessions it would be easy enough to create one or more catalogues should I wish to for what I would consider to be "archived" work. I might do that one day if I ever get around to adding Keywords to significant parts of my old collections.

To copy completed edits from one catalogue to another it is my understanding that you would first export the selected images complete with their edit details and then import the files to your target catalogue. So 2 step process but not too difficult. I'm sure someone with practical experience of that process will drop by and comment at some point.

HTH

Grant

Hi Grant,

Yes, perhaps I didn't provide enough information. At any given point in the process, I have 3 backups. At least one of these is offsite. Everything is automated, so it's simply a case of copy-and-paste the files and the rest is done for me.
NN635830684188779139UL

Postby IanL » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:57 pm

NN635830684188779139UL wrote:A little messy, but it seems the best way to do it within Capture One's system. Thanks for the help.

I suppose that's true. Since after I have added my session to the catalogue I only ever see the files (pictures) through C1 after that. I never look at the HD folders directly - out of sight out of mind :)
IanL

Return to Capture One 11.x Software