Sessions and the "captureone" folder

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Sessions and the "captureone" folder

Postby NN636139655180027490UL » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:36 am

On my Secondary internal hard drive, my folder structure for my model ship hobby is something like this. .

E:\Hobby\Model Ships\Cheerful\Page 01
E:\Hobby\Model Ships\Cheerful\Page02, etc.

I use the same location for each model ship, so the "Longboat" would be. .

E:\Hobby\Model Ships\Longboat\Page 01
E:\Hobby\Model Ships\Longboat\Page02, etc.

I always save my exports to each model ship page # where the raw file is located and not the Capture One "Output" folder. Also, I don't need to use the other default folders like "Selects" or "Trash".

Is there any way to setup a session so that a "captureone" folder isn't auto created at each page # that I edit in?

Thanks,

Mike
NN636139655180027490UL

Re: Sessions and the "captureone" folder

Postby cdc » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:52 am

No.

The CaptureOne folder holds the sidecar files that store your ratings, adjustments, etc. If the CaptureOne folder is removed your work within Capture One will be lost.

If you switched over to working with a catalog instead of a session then you will not have the CaptureOne folders on your Page folders.
cdc

Postby NN636139655180027490UL » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:56 am

That's what I was thinking would be the case. Would it make sense to have one catalog the covers all my model ship projects?
NN636139655180027490UL

Postby SFA » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:32 am

NN636139655180027490UL wrote:That's what I was thinking would be the case. Would it make sense to have one catalog the covers all my model ship projects?

That depends on how you work and how you like to see them. Also whether you sometimes use other photo processing applications.

Why not try it by creating a catalogue by importing some of your existing sessions and then see what you think of it?

The sessions will remain as they are unless you choose to eliminate them so there is nothing to lose by trying it out.

Grant
SFA

Postby Pedro Dias » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:02 pm

Your folder structure will soon collapse in on itself as the years go by. Once you start getting past 50 thousand or more images, what you really need is to TAG the images in a way that lets you find them without having to remember exactly where or how you stored them.

I can find all outdoor images of my wife, children and dogs, I can find all images of friends that come over for dinner and make a fast slideshow on our screens at home. I can find all family images that are NOT of my wife.

The secret to all of this is keywords. Embedded keywords in the images that can be read and indexed by catalog software.

When importing or culling images, if you tag them well, you give yourself a world of options for finding them later. I used to use FotoStation in the past, but have since turned to Photo Mechanic for this task. When I tag my daugther Elinor, for example, the image is automatically tagged with the keywords "people, family, female, girl". If I take an indoor portrait of her, the image is also tagged with "portraits, indoor, flash". Photo Mechanic lets me create a curated list of keywords that I can apply, so when I click "Elinor", all the other words, being parent "categories" are automatically added. This is not a commercial for Photo Mechanic. There is plenty of other software that does this as well.

I plan on using Capture One mainly for studio work, and I seriously hope that I can pre-set a list of keywords for the shoots that I do. Haven't tried yet :)

My main tip is: Say "no" to sidecar files, always go for "embed" option (provided the software gives one)

There is a keyword standard older than XMP format named IPTC that is still the king of the hill as far as news and media goes. I know, metadata can include author, photographer, description and a whole bunch of other stuff you never need. Keywords though are special, because you want to be able to search for them!

IPCTis a binary, embedded metadata format for any type of file (XMP is XML based, and can exist either as a physically separate file, which is a bad idea, or embedded into the document). "Everyone" can read IPCT, I'm not sure the same is true for XMP, even though by now, it should be.

Capture One Would not be considered even remotely professional without IPTC or XMP support. Professional photographers are required to embed things such as title, description, ownership information, copyright info and other fields on every image they submit. It's how the professional world works, or at least did (I may be slightly out of date, last I checked was 5 years ago).

Under Preferences -> Image, the last section "Metadata", you should uncheck the very last option (do NOT prefer sidecar xmp over embedded metadata), and for my own self, I still go with embedded IPTC over XMP simply because more software support IPTC, making my images more compatible overall.

Embedding means ALL the metadata that you store on an image is saved within the imagefile itself, and will never get lost. Bonus: You can read that information in any software later on, as just about any semi-professional image loader understands XMP and IPTC. If you move your images, you just re-scan the folder with your digital asset manager (DAM) of choise, and you have all the keywords available for search again.

If you want a different DAM, no problem, the data is contained in the images, not pesky sidecar files.
BTW: I mentioned Catalog software at the top, and now I'm calling it DAM - they're the same, different names, same animal)

I organize my files by subfolder structure:

YEAR\## Monthname\## Subject (where ## are month in two-digit form, and the second ## is day in two-digit form, i.e:

2018\10 October\18 Ski-training with the kids

My DAM software picks up all changed files, reads their embedded keywords and lets me quickly find them. I have over 200 000 images in my storage spanning over 23 years. I can find any one of them within seconds, as long as I remember vaguely which keywords I used.

If I know I did a shoot last week, or want to pull up some christmas photos from last year, I don't even open Photo Mechanic, but just browse to that folder.

Be smart about tagging your images, use keywords for speed and ease of use, and organize your images in a chronological way, so that you can move the oldest stuff off to cheaper/long term storage as space becomes a concern.

That's actually a feature in FotoStation that I miss, the ability to read IPCT from burned DVD ROM's and add them to the library, so I can still search and see previews and thumbnails of files that aren't even immediately available. It is not sorely missed yet though. 200 000 images isn't really alot. Oh, and I don't work for FotoWare either :)
Pedro Dias

Return to Capture One 11.x Software