COP deletes originals?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

COP deletes originals?

Postby NNN636178173677592474 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:33 am

COP seems to have deleted over 20 originals from disk after export. It seems to have done that months after I export, suddenly the originals are gone. However, not everything I export is gone. When I sync the folder that used to contain the originals that are referenced in my album, they are removed from my album so now I can't reference the file names of the deleted files so I can search my backups for them. I am basically hosed on those 20+ files.

I love COP but I am now considering switching back to LR because this has never happened with LR.

I use GoodSync to automatically backup my photos to Amazon Drive, but I have used it with LR as well and never had a problem with LR.

This is really bad since I now can't print some photos because COP seems to be deleting them on its own...!!

Anyone else experiencing this behavior or now how to prevent it?
NNN636178173677592474

Re: COP deletes originals?

Postby OddS » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:01 am

NNN636178173677592474 wrote:COP seems to have deleted over 20 originals from disk after export...

How do you know what software deleted your files?

(These days the MS Windows October update may be among the prime suspects :shock: )
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby SFA » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:37 am

NNN636178173677592474 wrote:C

I use GoodSync to automatically backup my photos to Amazon Drive, but I have used it with LR as well and never had a problem with LR.

Is your sync program set up to be one way sync? Will it also sync deletions?

If so it is storage as a main function rather than backup.

But as OddS has already observed, unless you can be totally sure that something in C1 has deleted the files and you did not do anything that might have started that activity it would be wise to look at other possibilities. Also check that the file have been deleted and not just moved somewhere by some process. Does the sync program provide a log file of activities?
SFA

Postby Bobtographer » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:28 pm

NNN636178173677592474 wrote:COP seems to have deleted over 20 originals from disk after export.

not possible..
have you given them a colour or star rating and clicked something in the search bar that would negate you from seeing them?

if you have backups, just copy all the images back into the folder?
AMD R1700 OC 3.8GHz | AMD R9 Fury 4GB | 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz DDR 4 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe
LG 27UD88 | LG 27 ColorPrime | C1 12.1 | Win10 64Pro 17763
Bobtographer

Postby blacksheepbiker » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:24 am

I have also had this, had to abandon COP and switch to LR. Happened initially less than a week into a 1 year contract and Phase One refused to let me out. When I told them it was eating my originals they pretty much told me I was dreaming, even though it was a repeatable issue. I'd go and add some files to a new catalog and by the next day they'd be gone off disk, but still in the catalog with marks on the thumbnails to indicate originals were missing. Same issue did NOT happen with the Mac when I tested that, just Windows. Wonder if they even care, since so few of their users are on Windows.
blacksheepbiker

Postby SFA » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:54 am

blacksheepbiker wrote:I have also had this, had to abandon COP and switch to LR. Happened initially less than a week into a 1 year contract and Phase One refused to let me out. When I told them it was eating my originals they pretty much told me I was dreaming, even though it was a repeatable issue. I'd go and add some files to a new catalog and by the next day they'd be gone off disk, but still in the catalog with marks on the thumbnails to indicate originals were missing. Same issue did NOT happen with the Mac when I tested that, just Windows. Wonder if they even care, since so few of their users are on Windows.

Interesting.

How did you manage to consistently repeat the issue and which version of Capture One were you using at the time?

Also which version of Windows?

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 11.x Software