Any way to Process Output and Overwrite Files?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Re: Any way to Process Output and Overwrite Files?

Postby mikekatz » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:46 pm

I also would like this option, and as said above every other software I know simply asks whether to overwrite. It's standard practice.

One reason I need this even more, though, is because the preview window in Capture One is not that accurate. So, I export and then review outside of Capture One, and I frequently need to make a small adjustment and re-export.

I have also filed a feature update request, but it looks like they are not interested.

Sometimes software developers are like this. I know, I was one myself :roll: !

This one is almost like WhatsApp telling me they won't release version on the iPad because it's not a mobile device (!), and then subsequently releasing a version for my Windows desktop (!!!).
Mike
mikekatz

Postby OddS » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:52 pm

SFA wrote:I would agree OddS, but I suggest there will be people out there who will not want to take on the decision making and who would expect "a professional application" to make the decisions for them without needing to define the rules in advance.

Like they do with the "Delete" actions, right? 8)
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby SFA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:24 pm

OddS wrote:
SFA wrote:I would agree OddS, but I suggest there will be people out there who will not want to take on the decision making and who would expect "a professional application" to make the decisions for them without needing to define the rules in advance.

I suspect that that is another example of "doing things for the user so they don't have to" which would be much in demand from some people and totally opposed by others.

I am not sure but it seems to fit with the Apple way of doing things so that people just accept what is offered and make use of it whereas Windows users are more used to having to get their "hands dirty".

Linux users, at the other extreme, positively insist that nothing is goiong to work as they need it to unless they are forced to get their hands very dirty!

;)

And then there are the phone manufacturers and apps ...

At some time in the past decade all of my family have had cameras of one sort of another, usually decent quality compacts from various manufacturers.

Now they only use their phones to take stills and video. They get some good results - very much fit for the purpose they intend for the shots they take. And very happy despite the limited options they deploy for image manipulation.

This thread subject may have very little to discuss within the next decade. Indeed the entire forum may have very little to chat about by then.

Grant
SFA

Postby WPNL » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:25 pm

OddS wrote:

... I don't expect a professional program to generate files with different names than which I have set in my output settings...
WPNL

Postby SFA » Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:56 pm

WPNL wrote:
OddS wrote:

... I don't expect a professional program to generate files with different names than which I have set in my output settings...

Best option then is to suspend the output processing and put up a warning message.
SFA

Postby WPNL » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:37 am

That would be an improvement indeed, and if this message gave the option to cancel / overwrite / rename we should be "done" :-)
WPNL

Postby SFA » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:06 pm

So, just like a windows copy routine then?

The thing is when that asks me if I want to overwrite or skip, sometimes the answer is obvious, sometimes not at all obvious. Especially not for several hundreds or thousands of files.

But if that works for the purpose then an instant "available today" solution that adds very little overhead would be to write the revised output files to a new folder, thus avoiding any additions to the name, and then use the OS's copy routine to replace the originals in the original folder using the facilities the OS provides.

Job done, adds a few seconds to the task if you keep a window open to facilitate the copy knowing that you about to do it.

For a one-off file replacement simply delete the one you are going to replace first and then reprocess. (Assuming that the output files are not themselves being treated as "originals" as far as C1 is concerned.)

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635071005880730612UL » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:34 am

Has there been an update to allow the overwrite of files on export ?

It would be handy when processing 1000 images and then go back to make a few changes - then just re-export to same location.

My current workaound is to export to new different folder, then drag the new files to the old folder ..

If there isn't a way to overwrite (as in LR) then fair enough - just need to know !

Mike
NN635071005880730612UL

Postby Ian3 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:00 pm

NN635071005880730612UL wrote:If there isn't a way to overwrite (as in LR) then fair enough - just need to know !

Mike

There isn't!

Ian
Ian3

Postby Maurice01 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:25 pm

NN635071005880730612UL wrote:It would be handy when processing 1000 images and then go back to make a few changes - then just re-export to same location.

Exactly my workflow as well. One of the first things in fact that sold me on shooting Raw, long ago.

My current workaound is to export to new different folder, then drag the new files to the old folder ..

The single most annoying thing to have to do. How do they not see this issue!?

"Capture One is built to minimize your workload and maximize your efficiency. Design your own workspace and find your way of working in Capture One." :roll:
Maurice01

Postby mikekatz » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:12 pm

Maurice01 wrote:
NN635071005880730612UL wrote:It would be handy when processing 1000 images and then go back to make a few changes - then just re-export to same location.

Exactly my workflow as well. One of the first things in fact that sold me on shooting Raw, long ago.

The single most annoying thing to have to do. How do they not see this issue!?

"Capture One is built to minimize your workload and maximize your efficiency. Design your own workspace and find your way of working in Capture One." :roll:

+1
Mike
mikekatz

Postby ben_US » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:02 pm

I suggest sending us a formal feature request via the link in my profile.
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby WPNL » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:33 pm

Did so quite some time and versions ago :-)
WPNL

Postby mikekatz » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:35 pm

WPNL wrote:Did so quite some time and versions ago :-)

Me too.
Mike
mikekatz

Postby Jmouritsen » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:35 pm

Coming from Lightroom with a pretty solid workflow for managing images for book projects with lots of images.
I regularly update images during the design phase. The way Lightroom handles overwriting files with a dialog showing the files that will be updated, works perfectly, and I have never overwritten a file by mistake.
I really hope C1 will consider to implement a similar feature.

Anyway on OSX i found a simple workaround, it is not the most elegant, but at least it is automated.
I created a folder action on a folder that C1 temporarily export to, with a single action to "Move Finder Items" to the final destination. (With the option to replace existing files).
This works, but is is not so flexible, because the destination path i fixed, so the folder action would have to be recreated for each output destination.
Jmouritsen

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 11.x Software