White blocks showing in B&W conversion

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

White blocks showing in B&W conversion

Postby flashbangwallop » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Invoking Black & White in the colour tab produces random white blocks in the image. Moving the sliders in B&W changes the number and position of the white blocks, but they're always the same shape and size.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_46 ... ateposted/
The white blocks appear in the jpg/tiff image after recipe processing. It's not just local to CO.

Any ideas why this is happening? (Capture One 11.2 on Windows 7 64 bit)
flashbangwallop

Re: White blocks showing in B&W conversion

Postby Ian3 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:34 pm

Does turning hardware acceleration off make any difference?

Ian
Ian3

Postby flashbangwallop » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:41 am

Thanks, Ian3 for your suggestion. Turning hardare acceleration (both options) to Never in CO Preferences/General and then re-starting CO does not solve the problem. I do have OpenCL installed in Win7.
Martin
flashbangwallop

Postby SFA » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:25 pm

Martin,

I don't seem to be able to see the example. I get a "403" error message.

Flickr does show me some of your other images but not that one.

Grant
SFA

Postby flashbangwallop » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Apologies, I had it as 'Private' in Flickr - now public so you should see it.

Further investigation reveals that the white blocks appear if the crop tool has been used on the B&W conversion. Open up the crop frame to near full image size and they disappear. Zooming in to the image in the edit window invokes the white blocks too, both in the edit window and on the processed image. Only seems to happen with a B&W conversion; colour images no problem.
Martin
flashbangwallop

Postby SFA » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:02 pm

Yep, I can see it now.

Very odd.

What happens if you change the ICC profile and maybe then try setting the Curve to Linear (which will require other adjustments of course but that doesn't matter in terms of seeing what happens to the white squares.

Also does turning off annotations make any difference.

And what happens if you select a different Process recipe? Maybe put proofing on as well.

Just trying to get a feel for what does and does no affect the appearance.

It almost looks like over active hot pixel correction but with a very odd result.

Probably one to present to the Support Crew and make their Friday!

Grant
SFA

Postby Ian3 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:37 pm

I've looked at the link now. I don't know the answer to the problem, but I have a vague recollection of a similar issue being raised in the forum before (a year or two ago, maybe?). You could try a search to see what you can find.

Ian
Ian3

Postby gusferlizi » Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Does this happen to all X-T2 files? Does it happen to other cameras' files? Did it happen of a sudden?

Could be a memory address issue specific to your hardware.

I've had an X-T2 from launch day and never seen something like this.
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby flashbangwallop » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:27 pm

Hi Grant (SFA) & gusferlizi. Thanks for your suggestions.

I have tried changing the ICC profile, and the curve; turned off Annotations; tried proofing on and off with various recipes; all to no avail.

I seem to have tied this down to simply zooming in on the image in the editor window, irrespective of whether a crop has been made.

After invoking 'Enable Black & White', changing the profile or the white balance alters the number and position of the white blocks but does not eliminate them.

I have been using Fuji X-Trans sensor (X-T1 & 2) where this has shown up. But checking on some older Canon CR2 raw files, the white blocks also appear but they are there all the time after a B&W conversion, not just on zooming in. Seems somewhat unpredictable re number and position of white blocks.

Latest tests show that even if the editor window is clean, the jpg or psd processed image is corrupt. Please see https://www.flickr.com/photos/martin_46 ... ateposted/ (jpg and psd results in browser)

I'm relatively new to CO, maybe 6 months, but do quite a bit of B&W work. I've tested this on several images converted to B&W with similar results.

Maybe it's time for new hardware.

Martin
flashbangwallop

Postby SFA » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:50 pm

Martin,

If you are prepared to share a problem file and its edits I would be happy to see what happens with it running in my PC.

Whether that would help much I don't know, it's not exactly a new device and I'm running Windows 7.

However at the simplest test level if I cannot invoke the problems on my machine then it would suggest that the problem is hardware or firmware related somehow.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby flashbangwallop » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Grant, thanks for your offer of reviewing the images on your machine. Howver, I've now had a chance to install CO11.2 onto a Windows 10 laptop and have checked the two images in question, copying the settings. The problem does not show.

I must conclude that it is (probably) a hardware problem on my desktop machine. Just have to find out what and how to solve it. (Likely a new computer!)

My thanks to all who have commented and offered suggestions.

Martin
flashbangwallop

Postby SFA » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Martin,

I'm glad you managed to make some sort of progress with the problem. It's never easy to decide what is best to do under those circumstances.

If you have hardware problems they can probably be analysed and may even be reported in even logs and similar. However if a new machine is an option for you then it probably makes sense.

My notebook is now coming up to 6 years old but is standing up remarkably well even in the performance side of things. However I fairly regularly keep an eye on what may be available to replace it when the time comes.

Grant
SFA

Postby gusferlizi » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:04 pm

If you can play a moderately heavy 3D game without artifacts on screen, it's less likely to be a hardware issue.

Could be a bad driver.

Drop a message to the support team either way.

https://www.phaseone.com/en/SupportMain ... pport.aspx
Praise Kek.
gusferlizi

Postby NNN634550056619885232 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:30 pm

I have the same problem with white/grey blocks on B&W conversion. MacPro Quad Core 2,66, AMD Radeon HD 7950 3072 MB.
I noticed, that the blocks disappear when the luminance in the noise reduction tool is set to zero.
NNN634550056619885232

Return to Capture One 11.x Software