Crop tool px only

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Crop tool px only

Postby IrishDaego » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:42 pm

Hello, I'm new to the fourm but have been enjoying Capture One since version 9. I recently upgraded to 11 and I'm having a problem with the crop tool. It will only display in pixels. On the tool, the drop down tab is grayed out on px. I figure there must be a setting keeping it locked, but I've been unable to find it. I have looked in the crop settings, but did not see anything about unit selection. Any help would be appreciated.
IrishDaego

Re: Crop tool px only

Postby John Doe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:46 pm

Although it's a drop-down menu, I can't imagine what other unit than pixels could be useful. So it's probably locked on purpose.
John Doe

Postby Ian3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:41 pm

John Doe wrote:Although it's a drop-down menu, I can't imagine what other unit than pixels could be useful. So it's probably locked on purpose.

I can't answer the original problem, but I can say that there should be other options so that you can crop to particular print sizes. I see in, cm and mm as well as px.

Ian
Ian3

Postby John Doe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:53 pm

Well you only need those when you're printing, it depends on the dpi you choose in the printing dialog. It's useless while you're editing your pictures on screen: your camera doesn't shoot in cm x cm or mm x mm, it shoots in pixels x pixels.
John Doe

Postby Ian3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:56 pm

John Doe wrote:Well you only need those when you're printing, it depends on the dpi you choose in the printing dialog. It's useless while you're editing your pictures on screen: your camera doesn't shoot in cm x cm or mm x mm, it shoots in pixels x pixels.

Oh, I agree that they are only relevant to printing. I always use px when I crop. Just confirming, though, that what the OP is seeing isn't as it is intended. There is probably a setting somewhere perhaps related to the output recipe or something?

Ian
Ian3

Postby IrishDaego » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:20 pm

I was just use to using inches in version 9. Yes, it's relevant to printing, but also makes it easier to crop to custom aspect ratios. I build custom made frames from hardwoods and other exotic woods. I build in inches, I like to crop in inches. Next time I go to the hardware store, I'll see if I can find a tape measure that reads in pixels, that will make life easier :roll:
IrishDaego

Postby John Doe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:28 pm

OK, I get it. :) Very specific but legitimate needs.
John Doe

Postby IrishDaego » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Hope I didn't come off as too sarcastic, just joking around. I'm new here. Sooner or latter I will find an answer and I will give an update.
IrishDaego

Postby John Doe » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:40 pm

NNN635908279798876601 wrote:Hope I didn't come off as too sarcastic, just joking around

Not at all, don't worry! Made me laugh, actually. :)
John Doe

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:16 pm

NNN635908279798876601 wrote:I was just use to using inches in version 9. Yes, it's relevant to printing, but also makes it easier to crop to custom aspect ratios. I build custom made frames from hardwoods and other exotic woods. I build in inches, I like to crop in inches. Next time I go to the hardware store, I'll see if I can find a tape measure that reads in pixels, that will make life easier :roll:

Can be tricky finding the right type of pixel .... ESP, USP or ASP - depending on where in the world you might be and which sensors are favoured .... :wink:
SFA

Postby SFA » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:32 pm

More seriously ...

The unit drop down under Scale in the Process Recipe is active still.

Looks to me like it is using the settings for the Process recipe on which the cursor "rests" in the process tool even if Proofing (either option) is not set to be active.

I'm not sure I ever noticed what happens when looking at it in the crop tool. I seem to recall I always remember it as memoranda data rather than something that can be changed on the fly in the crop tool but I may be wrong.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby ben_US » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:03 pm

SFA wrote:More seriously ...

The unit drop down under Scale in the Process Recipe is active still.

Looks to me like it is using the settings for the Process recipe on which the cursor "rests" in the process tool even if Proofing (either option) is not set to be active.

I'm not sure I ever noticed what happens when looking at it in the crop tool. I seem to recall I always remember it as memoranda data rather than something that can be changed on the fly in the crop tool but I may be wrong.

HTH.

Grant

Nope, you've got it- the unit in the Crop tool is always inherited from the unit in the Scale field of the recipe and isn't adjustable from the Crop tool
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Postby IrishDaego » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 am

Thank you guys for you help. Correct, in the process recipes I was able to change the unit of mesause. Life is back to normal :D
IrishDaego

Postby NNN636744248475435551 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:51 am

IrishDaego wrote:Hello, I'm new to the fourm but have been enjoying Capture One since version 9. I recently upgraded to 11 and I'm having a problem with the crop tool. It will only display in pixels. On the tool, the drop down tab is grayed out on px. I figure there must be a setting keeping it locked, but I've been unable to find it. I have looked in the crop settings, but did not see anything about unit selection. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi, I am facing similar kind of problem, it seems that IrishDaego got the solution but I am still facing the mobdro issue.
NNN636744248475435551

Return to Capture One 11.x Software