Dual Monitor Support is Poor with C1

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 11.x for Mac

Dual Monitor Support is Poor with C1

Postby RussOniMac » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:31 am

Is it just me?, but Capture One 11 and had this issue with 10 as well, seems Capture One has a mind of its own when it comes to dual monitor support. I don't know how Lightroom does it, but it's consistent, browser thumbnails on the large monitor and the viewer on my laptop. I even saved a workstation for my dual monitor. It works for a while and all of a sudden it gets strange again where the browser and viewer and both on the laptop. I move the browser back to the large monitor save a workstation and it doesn't keep the settings, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
RussOniMac

Re: Dual Monitor Support is Poor with C1

Postby Nature Isme » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:17 am

I haven't had any problems working dual monitor with C1 9-11; I also don't recall problems with C1 8. My dual monitor setups:

With C1 8, an hp lp2475w (primary) + 10" Apple CInema Display

Then in C1 9 I moved to a NEC PA272 (primary) + the lp2475

Then I moved to dual PA272s, which is what I use now with Sierra.

All of these are on a 2012 Mac Pro.

I've also used dual monitor displays with my 2012 MacBook Pro: the internal as one and the Apple CInema Display as secondary, without issues.

Well, one minor issue: If I work with tools on the secondary monitor, I need to click on the primary when I move back there. I guess C1 needs to be reminded to start working on the primary.

Have you filed a support request?
Nature Isme

Postby tenmangu81 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:56 am

I haven't encountered any issue with my dual monitor workspace, even if it is not the same as yours, Russ.
Did you save your workspace properly ?
tenmangu81

Postby WPNL » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:45 pm

This might also be a display driver / OS thing, eg: if the screens are moved to the main monitor then the second one was found too late.
Is the rest of stuff that should be on the second monitor still there?
WPNL

Postby bml » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:22 pm

When my Mac with dual monitor setup wakes up from hibernation, Capture One 'forgets' the second monitor and displays browser and viewer on the first monitor. I then load my workspace, and the viewer is displayed on the second monitor again.
bml

Postby mkphotomedia » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 am

When I was running earlier Wacom drivers under Sierra, I'd run into this fairly constantly. Changing Wacom drivers helped a lot.

Having said that, C1 does seem to have a mind of its own when it comes to placing things across screens when sleeping/waking/opening/closing, and it doesn't seem to be consistent enough to be able to put in a repro case. I've ended up working around it by saving a workspace, and then configuring Moom (https://manytricks.com/moom/) with a saved window layout for C1.

FWIW, Moom also ends up being useful for all manner of other 'please give me the window configuration I want, and don't futz with it' situations, as well as C1--their reg price has been a small price to pay for a piece of sanity. :-)
mkphotomedia
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby RussOniMac » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Hello mkphotomedia, by the way nice website!! I found someone having this issues, hard to believe as many times it's happened to me I was surprised to see how many people didn't. I use Lightroom with two monitors without any issue, C1 is very erratic and even saving the workstation doesn't bring back the saved setting correct, again it's not all the time.

What I simply want is my browser to be on my second larger display and my viewer on the MacBook Pro. Somehow the browser is stacked under the viewer as if I don't have a second monitor, so I'll manually move the browser window back to the large monitor and all seems well or just load the saved workstation. When I run into this issue is when I'm going to a single window for shooting in my studio I only have my laptop.

Anyway, thanks for your great reply and I'm checking out the Moom app, how can this help with C1 since I can save a workstation, how will this app help?

Russ
RussOniMac

Postby RussOniMac » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 pm

WPNL wrote:This might also be a display driver / OS thing, eg: if the screens are moved to the main monitor then the second one was found too late.
Is the rest of stuff that should be on the second monitor still there?

Not sure what you mean "is the rest of stuff?" Sometimes I can just reload the workstation and the browser goes back to the big monitor, but sometimes I'll have to drag back the browser to the large screen. Thank makes since about the monitor not being detected quick enough, but all my Lightroom behaves well, browser always on second larger screen.

Thanks for you're reply!

Russ
RussOniMac

Postby NN635680879799322049UL » Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 pm

There are some bugs in the dual monitor support. This refers to my setup, which has the browser on my Sony monitor and viewer on my Apple Cinema Graphics monitor. I customized this setup so that the editing tools are on the viewer and other navigation and database tools are on the browser.

Issues:
1. When last closed in dual monitor configuration, opening the catalog opens the browser on my Sony display, but I have to reselect my dual monitor workspace for it to be displayed on the Cinema graphics display.
2. Closing the viewer screen just closes that window. To exit the catalog, the browser screen must be closed, but when this is done, the viewer screen remains open unless it was closed first. Both windows should close automatically.
3.When the catalog is opened in my custom dual monitor mode, the exposure setting and all other tools on the exposure tab are blank, as if no image was selected. If any other tab is selected, after returning to the exposure tab, the values in the exposure tab are displayed.

None of these are big problems and working around them is easy, but they are annoying. This is what should happen:
1. Opening in dual monitor mode, should show both displays (browser and viewer) in the same way they would appear by manually selecting the dual monitor workspace, regardless of customizing tabs and tools on each display.
2. The exposure setting should display without having to toggle back and forth to another tab.
3. Closing the catalog from wither display should close C1 and close both windows.

I will also submit a bug report to the support folks.

Jerry C
NN635680879799322049UL

Postby mkphotomedia » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:56 am

Moom lets you save profiles for window positioning. In theory, C1 workspaces include that information--but, 1) it's buggy, and 2) if you tend to field-customize your workspaces without saving them back, Moom will let you assign a shortcut to things like 'move window 1 onto screen 1 at fullsize but not fullscreen, and move window 2 onto screen 2', or do things like forcing the current window onto one screen or another--which is really handy if you're doing Live View, and 3) it's also handy for window resizing/repositioning if you tend to move from single to n-monitor setups and back all the time.

RussOniMac wrote:Anyway, thanks for your great reply and I'm checking out the Moom app, how can this help with C1 since I can save a workstation, how will this app help?

Russ
mkphotomedia
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NNN636527182959440439 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 pm

I am having a similar problem, except if I minimize the Viewer it will not come back up unless I switch back to one of the single monitor workspaces and then back to a two monitor workspace.
NNN636527182959440439

Return to Capture One 11.x Software for Mac