How to Stop Auto Editing Upon Import

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x and 9.x

How to Stop Auto Editing Upon Import

Postby jhoffman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:52 am

I shoot with various filters, but when importing images Capture One usually undoes/"corrects" the filters used as the preview is loading. You can see the preview change from how it appears on my camera to a more auto-adjusted image as it is loading. For instance, if I shoot with the Clear filter on my camera, the software takes away all the contrast that I intentionally sought in the shooting. I do NOT have Auto Adjust selected on the import screen, nor is it selected in the Adjustments tab. FYI when I send the image straight to IOS it translates perfectly. How can I get the software to import as is?
jhoffman

Re: How to Stop Auto Editing Upon Import

Postby cdc » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:12 am

Filters and some settings you set in camera will always be applied to JPG images and they will only be applied to RAW files if you open them with the software that is native to your camera. If it is a Nikon camera, use Nikon ViewNX2 for example. I suspect the reason you are seeing the filters applied in IOS is because the camera is transferring JPG images, or there is a native camera app on IOS that is reading the filters.

To get your filters in Capture One you will need to import JPG's from the camera. I'd recommend to learn to do the processing yourself on RAW files however, you will likely end up with better results once you're familiar with the tools.
cdc

Postby jhoffman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:48 pm

I am shooting RAW on a Sony a7rii, and the images are being imported with the arw format. You think that's the issue?
jhoffman

Postby John Doe » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:32 am

jhoffman wrote:I am shooting RAW on a Sony a7rii, and the images are being imported with the arw format. You think that's the issue?

Yes it is. As explained, in-camera filters are only applied to JPG files. RAW (arw) files only contain the raw data from the sensor, which you're supposed to adjust to your taste with an app such as Capture One.
John Doe

Postby jhoffman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:16 am

I thought you meant nonnative software was a potential problem and didn't realize you also meant that in-camera filters will not carry over at all in RAW. I've used the Capture One software extensively and prefer it to Lightroom, but sometimes due to time constraints the filters are useful, such that I'm happy with the image overall and it requires only a gentle tweaking. Also the in-camera filters give you the option of viewing it live while shooting. I am particularly fond of one specific filter with a specific lens. It has become my go-to when in a rush. Oh well. Guess I can't have it both ways. Bummer.
jhoffman

Postby Ian3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:19 am

You can have it both ways to some extent. If you want to be able to use the in camera filters sometimes, shoot raw and jpg together. Use the raw files to get the best out of your images. But if you are, as you say, in a hurry, you can use C1 also to adjust the jpgs that have had your filters applied (though without quite the full degree of control you get with a raw file).

Ian
Ian3

Postby jhoffman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:38 pm

I don't know why I didn't think of that! Thanks so much.
jhoffman

Return to Capture One 10.x and 9.x Software