Removing Green Fringing...?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x and 9.x

Re: Removing Green Fringing...?

Postby gusferlizi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:04 pm

Dinarius wrote:
gusferlizi wrote:
Dinarius wrote:If LR wasn't subscription, I'd have gone back to it by now.

What's your concern with the subscription model, may I ask?

It's too expensive for what it is.

If I could BUY LR like I can buy C1, there would be no contest, IMHO.

Vital features such as colour correction, lens correction, are better even in ACR, never mind LR. (But, CS6/ACR doesn't support Canon 5D Mk IV). In addition, simple stuff like radial gradients in LR are great to have.

D.

Interesting. I think pricing is one of the only two appealing things.
gusferlizi

Postby gnwooding » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:22 pm

Dinarius wrote:Thanks for that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fo2dbelprqx6 ... ..jpg?dl=0

Here's a sample image.

On my setup, green fringing is clearly visible in many places in the image, but most visible where the lower front edge of the footpath meets the surface of the road. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Ps. Visible at 200% or more. I tend to upsize and print large.

I think you would be able to easily remove the green fringing by using a filled local adjustment and the advanced colour editor. Select the colour of the fringing and reduce the range as much as possible so only the fringing is affected. Then reduce saturation until it is gone.

I found that I was able to eliminate the fringing in the image you posted with -50. You can then erase parts of the mask if you have problems with it affecting other parts of the image with a similar colour to the fringing.
This was a problem with the CA tools in ACR the last time I used it (not sure how it is now days though) where the CA sliders reduced saturation in other parts of the image.

You can also target fringing in specific areas using the same technique, I have found this very useful when ever the CA option isn't effective enough.
gnwooding

Postby Dinarius » Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I can't quite follow what you're suggesting. :(

If you could break it down into steps, I would be very grateful.

Your suggestion sounds more straightforward than https://prodpi.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/201992340-How-To-Remove-Chromatic-Aberration-in-Photoshop which involves a lot of brushwork in CS6, though it's very affective.

Both my 17-40mm zoom and 90mm tilt/shift produce very clean Canon 5D Mk IV files by default in C1 by simply selecting the CA box.

Also, opening older Canon 1Ds Mark III files, shot on the same 45mm T/S lens is interesting. Very obvious green fringing is removed completely by a simple click on the Chromatic Aberration box. The CA correction behaves exactly as I would expect it to.

This leads me to think that the problem lies with the C1/5D/45mm t/s combination, coz the old 1Ds files are perfect.

A bug?

Thanks.

D.
Dinarius

Postby gnwooding » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:52 pm

That is interesting it might mean that more work needs to be done on the profile, maybe you should make a support ticket and explain all of that and maybe they can improve the CA profile.

The following technique can be used to deal with residual green or purple CA left in your images.

1. Go to local adjustments tab and make a new layer (click the + sign) - you can name this whatever you like
2. Right click on your new layer and click "Fill Mask" - this means any adjustments affect the entire image, we can then erase the mask from areas we want to exclude from our adjustments.
3. While still on the "Local Adjustments" tool tab go down to the "Color Editor" and select the "Advanced" tab.
4. Zoom in to where the CA is clearly visible
5. Select the eye dropper "Pick Color Correction" and click on the CA on the image.
6. Click "View Selected Color Range"
7. Now you need to adjust the wedge shape in the color editor until only the fringing is visible.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dm247f9svfqbo ... n.JPG?dl=0
8. Now you can use the saturation slider in the color editor to remove the green fringing - I find -50 works on your image
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dfk906f9oe2b7 ... A.JPG?dl=0
9. Now the problem with this image is that doing this removes some colour from the door and sign on the right hand side. I would therefore use the erase mask brush to remove the desaturation of that colour from these areas.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q1gj4v6iacqr8 ... l.JPG?dl=0

If you wish instead of starting with a completely filled layer you can paint mask only in areas where you with to address CA.
gnwooding

Postby Dinarius » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:41 am

Thanks for that.

Not sure it's working for me.

When you click on the green CA in the image (I'm doings so at 400%), does the colour swatch in the Colour Editor appear as a green selection? For me it doesn't. It appears only as the grey of the footpath - no matter how careful I am, or how many selections I take. They are all grey.

Maybe the CS6 technique (while not totally dissimilar) is a little easier?

But, based on my experience with the 1Ds Mark III, it shouldn't be happening with the 5D Mark IV, in any case.

Thanks again.

D.
Dinarius

Postby gnwooding » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:42 pm

It can be hard to click the CA since it is quite thin. So all you need to do is try get close, then move the center dot inside the wedge to roughly the correct colour manually. Then reduce the wedge size (and rotate it to green if need be) till only the fringing has colour when show colour selection is checked. I think this technique is pretty simple and very quick to do once you get familiar enough with the colour editor.

From my understanding the higher the resolution of the camera the more apparent a lenses aberrations become. It could be that it is just more difficult for C1 to remove the CA from that combo. If you can try an apsc camera with that lens, that might give us a better idea than the 1ds.
gnwooding

Postby Dinarius » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 am

1. I've tried clicking the CA at 400%, still no joy. (The Photoshop method works, but it's extremely laborious)

2. Interesting point about higher res and more difficulty with CA correction. As well as my 21Mp 1Ds Mark III correction being perfect in C1, my 20Mp Sony RX100 is perfect also. That said, my 17-40mm and 90mm t/s are both perfect from the 5D, so my suspicion is that it's a C1 problem with the 45mm/5D combo.

Thanks.

D.
Dinarius

Postby gnwooding » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:29 pm

Instead of clicking the specific colour have you tried adding a colour (you can basically start by clicking any colour it doesn't matter) then adjusting the wedge manually - I find it is pretty easy to select the specific colour of the CA. Try make your wedge look like the one I posted previously and it should select basically only the CA.

I will try explain in more detail:
1. Click a random colour (as close as possible to the desired one will help but isn't essential)
2. Expand the selection by clicking the wedge to the left of the + sign at bottom of tool (make sure not to select invert, which is the white circle with slice taken out). Then expand the colour rand by dragging the sides of the wedge to make sure it cover the desired colour - in this case green.
3. Drag the little dot till the colour kind of matches the CA.
4. Now click show "view selected colour range", the CA should be saturated if it isn't expand wedge till it is.
5. Now the goal is to make the wedge as small as possible so only the CA remains visible (everything else should be gray)
6. You can then turn off "view selected colour range" and desaturate that colour. I found -50 to work.

You should be able to isolate the correct colour in like 20s max so this process should be pretty fast once you are familiar with it.

Yeah it could be a problem with the profile of the 5D4 and that lens.
gnwooding

Postby Dinarius » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:41 am

Hi,

1. Are you Mac or PC? (I'm Windows 10 x64 Pro)

2. At 400%, when I hold the the Pick Colour Correction dropper over a green fringe area (for example), the reading at the top of the screen (above the image preview area) is about 86, 124, 99, which is about what I would expect. However, when I click on this (being VERY careful not to move the mouse as I click), the colour swatch in the Colour Editor is not green, it's grey, and the reading in the Colour Editor panel is 59, 72, 72., a muddy grey!

I've had a support case with C1 for a while on this discrepancy. They say that this problem will be addressed, but they can't say when. Go figure.

3. I hired a 24mm t/s ii yesterday for a job, and I was using the 45mm t/s also. CA with the 24mm is present, but less pronounced than that 45mm. But, as with the 45mm, C1 CA doesn't fix it. It did with the 1Ds MIII.

Thanks for your help.

D.
Dinarius

Postby gnwooding » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:15 am

I am also using Windows 10 pro x64, I do agree clicking and getting the exact colour of the CA can be challenging since it is so thin. That is why I find it easier to adjust the wedge manually. Also the actual colour of the CA in your image is quite a desaturated teal so as long as the wedge is on the green/teal side you are good to go (if it isn't you need to rotate it till it is).

Is it possible to test your 45 T/S using an APSC camera (preferably something with DPAF). I think there are many different factors that could play a role here in why a certain combination has CA that C1 can fix automatically or not.
gnwooding

Postby SFA » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:36 pm

The Canon 5D Mk4, according to the press release and other things I have read (not yet dived into the user guide) has specific technology to address diffraction so I am assuming that Canon decided there would likely be enough concern from the technology deployed to require some sort of solution.

What is less clear is whether that work is available in RAW files or only through the in camera jpg processing. (Maybe also Canon's DPP software?)

It would be interesting to see how the Canon software deals with the challenge - perhaps by shooting with the adjustment on and off for the same setup and making the shots RAW +jpg when saved.

That said, is the example provided really diffraction? Or some other artefact of jpg processing? Or made more evident by jpg processing?

Grant
Last edited by SFA on Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby Dinarius » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:12 pm

gnwooding wrote:Instead of clicking the specific colour have you tried adding a colour (you can basically start by clicking any colour it doesn't matter) then adjusting the wedge manually - I find it is pretty easy to select the specific colour of the CA. Try make your wedge look like the one I posted previously and it should select basically only the CA.

I will try explain in more detail:
1. Click a random colour (as close as possible to the desired one will help but isn't essential)
2. Expand the selection by clicking the wedge to the left of the + sign at bottom of tool (make sure not to select invert, which is the white circle with slice taken out). Then expand the colour rand by dragging the sides of the wedge to make sure it cover the desired colour - in this case green.
3. Drag the little dot till the colour kind of matches the CA.
4. Now click show "view selected colour range", the CA should be saturated if it isn't expand wedge till it is.
5. Now the goal is to make the wedge as small as possible so only the CA remains visible (everything else should be gray)
6. You can then turn off "view selected colour range" and desaturate that colour. I found -50 to work.

You should be able to isolate the correct colour in like 20s max so this process should be pretty fast once you are familiar with it.

Yeah it could be a problem with the profile of the 5D4 and that lens.

Returning to this because I have the head space for it....! 8)

In the above method, at 400%, when I click on View Selected Colour Range, I can see only the green fringing. Great!

Now, whether I Desaturate immediately with a fully extended wedge (and yes, the green disappears at about -50), or whether I reduce the wedge size (doing so just seems to keep the green visible; nothing else seems to happen) and then desaturate to -50, my problem is this...

The entire image desaturates. And when I unclick VSCR, yes the colour returns, but so does the green fringing.

I also tried desaturating to -50 with a full wedge, and then decreasing the size of the wedge. That has no effect.

Hopefully, I'm missing something obvious because using Erase Mask (if I have to use it in this as in the first solution above) is as slow as using a colour brush in CS6.

Thanks!

D.
Dinarius

Previous

Return to Capture One 10.x and 9.x Software