Removing Green Fringing...?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x and 9.x

Removing Green Fringing...?

Postby Dinarius » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 pm

Anyone got any thoughts on removing green fringing?

Working on a landscape that has both purple (easily removed with the slider) and green fringing.

Well?

Many thanks.

D.
Dinarius

Re: Removing Green Fringing...?

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:39 pm

(1) Is the green fringing just the other side of the purple fringing (opposite side of the same object that has the purple)?

(2) Have you tried getting C! to analyse the chromatic aberration rather than just use the default setting. (Click the ... button on the tool and choose "Analyse".) It generally makes an improvement.

(3) You need to judge the results of these things zoomed in at at 100% - purple fringing and CA correction don't show up well in previews.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Dinarius » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:09 pm

Ian,

Thanks.

Yes, I’ve tried Analyse. No joy.

The green/purple fringing are separate.

I check everything at 100% or 200%.

Even bog-standard programs like ACR have separate red/green sliders.

Way overdue in C1, in my opinion; along with other features and fixes.

As I’ve said before, too much time between releases spent tweaking C1 for new cameras and lenses; less on improvements and fixes.

Thanks again.

D.
Dinarius

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:04 pm

I’ve never seen anyone asking for green fringing correction before. Not that it might not be a good idea, but it might be that the best thing to do is to put in an enhancement request using the support case approach and if a lot of people are asking for it, they might implement it.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Dinarius » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:22 am

Ian,

Way back in 2015, they were talking about improving this tool.

Scroll down to the chat on https://blog.phaseone.com/fix-purple-fringing/ and you'll see what I mean.

It should have been there from the off.

D.
Dinarius

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:48 pm

Dinarius wrote:Ian,

Way back in 2015, they were talking about improving this tool.

Scroll down to the chat on https://blog.phaseone.com/fix-purple-fringing/ and you'll see what I mean.

It should have been there from the off.

D.

I don't have any complaints about the existing tools so I am interested to understand where recent comments about this matter, notably connected to a Sony lens recently, arise.

Can you share a sample file with which I can experiment?

I have an old fully manual 600mm lens from 1982 (according to the manufacturing date info) that, under certain circumstances of strong sun at a particular angle, can produce very extreme purple fringing on highlight. Especially blown highlights that end up with a halo of pink rather than purple.

C1, even at version 9, deals with them very well. The most extreme of the most extreme - if you see what I mean - might end up requiring some special attention to get to the last few pink pixels but I would expect that.

I rarely see diffraction - probably because much of my usage is with lenses wide open rather than stopped down.

Chromatic aberration is also rare for most of my kit but that is probably more down to luck than judgement and mainly using lenses designed for full frame on bodies with some degree of sensor crop thus avoiding the edges of the full lens coverage where CA might be more evident. Another reason why I would like to experiment with a known problem image to understand what can and cannot be achieved.

Grant
SFA

Postby gusferlizi » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Have you tried the colour editor to desaturate the fringing?

I never saw green fringe and don't think I have much to contribute to the matter, but apparently green fringing is not simply 'chromatic aberration'.

gusferlizi

Postby Dinarius » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:02 pm

1. The problem is easily fixed in CS6. But, it would be nice to be able to batch fix it in C1 (I don't want to know about creating an Action in CS6, even if this is possible, since I don't believe I should have to do this)

2. The problem may be with the lens - 45mm tilt-shift.

That said, I have a straightforward Jpeg image I could upload, for others to see.

How can I do this?

Thanks.

D.
Dinarius

Postby gusferlizi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 pm

Dinarius wrote:1. The problem is easily fixed in CS6. But, it would be nice to be able to batch fix it in C1 (I don't want to know about creating an Action in CS6, even if this is possible, since I don't believe I should have to do this)

2. The problem may be with the lens - 45mm tilt-shift.

That said, I have a straightforward Jpeg image I could upload, for others to see.

How can I do this?

Thanks.

D.

Paste a link from whatever hosting service (if you want it to be displayed as an image, paste it between the 'img' brackets). This ( https://cubeupload.com/ ) seems to work well if you don't have flickr, dropbox, google drive, etc.
gusferlizi

Postby Dinarius » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks for that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2fo2dbelprqx6 ... ..jpg?dl=0

Here's a sample image.

On my setup, green fringing is clearly visible in many places in the image, but most visible where the lower front edge of the footpath meets the surface of the road. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Ps. Visible at 200% or more. I tend to upsize and print large.
Last edited by Dinarius on Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinarius

Postby Ian3 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:49 pm

There's also purple fringing visible at the top of the kerb (where the vertical part of the kerb meets the flat part of the sidewalk) and in a few other places too. Have you confirmed that adjusting to eliminate the purple doesn't also eliminate the green?

Ian
Ian3

Postby Dinarius » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Ian3 wrote:There's also purple fringing visible at the top of the kerb (where the vertical part of the kerb meets the flat part of the sidewalk) and in a few other places too. Have you confirmed that adjusting to eliminate the purple doesn't also eliminate the green?

Ian

Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

For that process, Red Fringing was set to 65, and I can no longer see it on my setup.

Red Fringing has no effect whatsoever on green fringing for me.

There is no comparison between what Lens Correction in CS6 is capable of and what C1's equivalent is capable of.

If LR wasn't subscription, I'd have gone back to it by now.

Thanks.

D.
Dinarius

Postby gusferlizi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:43 pm

All the green I see in this picture is moss... :D

Convert to B&W maybe? Somethings just aren't worth processing in colour.
gusferlizi

Postby gusferlizi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:45 pm

Dinarius wrote:If LR wasn't subscription, I'd have gone back to it by now.

What's your concern with the subscription model, may I ask?
gusferlizi

Postby Dinarius » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:55 pm

gusferlizi wrote:
Dinarius wrote:If LR wasn't subscription, I'd have gone back to it by now.

What's your concern with the subscription model, may I ask?

It's too expensive for what it is.

If I could BUY LR like I can buy C1, there would be no contest, IMHO.

Vital features such as colour correction, lens correction, are better even in ACR, never mind LR. (But, CS6/ACR doesn't support Canon 5D Mk IV). In addition, simple stuff like radial gradients in LR are great to have.

D.
Dinarius

Next

Return to Capture One 10.x and 9.x Software