Support for Rokinon/Samyang lenses?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Support for Rokinon/Samyang lenses?

Postby NNN636308317394948207 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:15 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any plans to incorporate lens corrections for Rokinon lenses? Particularly the Rokinon 12mm f/2? It's a really popular ultra-wide angle lens.

Thanks,
NNN636308317394948207

Re: Support for Rokinon/Samyang lenses?

Postby SFA » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:13 am

NNN636308317394948207 wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if there was any plans to incorporate lens corrections for Rokinon lenses? Particularly the Rokinon 12mm f/2? It's a really popular ultra-wide angle lens.

Thanks,

Well, this is a User to User forum and Phase have a policy of not commenting on possible future developments.

However they do encourage people to create Support Cases for Enhancement Requests (Put that at the beginning of the Title) and are likely to consider any lens that attracts popular support.

That said any manual lens that does not identify itself to the camera (I have a Samyang 14mm for example) is a less attractive proposition for lens correction work since there is no available way to identify the lens in order to automatically apply corrections.

I have no knowledge of the 12mm other then, as I understand, it is not aimed at the full frame sensor market.

If it is optically similar to the 14mm it may have some rather interesting distortion characteristics that in turn, for worthwhile correction purposes, may require very accurate manufacturing tolerances.

I don't know, I'm just guessing based on the experiences of a few people using the 14mm f2.8.

In other words it could possibly be a somewhat tricky optic to correct consistently and the correction provided would probably need to be applied manually by the user.

I'm not sure how attractive that might be to the developers but there is no harm in making the suggestion via a Support Case.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Mnl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:56 am

Hi there,

i also own the samyang 12mm F2.0 lens. It´s a very nice glass for APS-C with great sharpness and it´s quite popular for landscape photography.

To correct the images in Capture One I use the profil of the zeiss touit 12mm lens. This is definitely better then no correction and a good starting point. From there on you can tweak the lens correction by using the sliders provided in the lens correction tool. Especially for light falloff to compensated for the vignetting if you shoot with wide open aperture.

Please create a support case for Enhancement as I would be interested in lens profil as well.
I also was thinking about creating one by my own, but I don´t know how and I did not had the time to search on how to create an own lens profil.

Regards
Manuel
Mnl

Postby F4tty Rider » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:40 am

I also use the Zeiss Touit 12mm profile for my Samyang 12mm f2 lens.
SONY a6300 & Capture One Pro 10 (for Sony)
Win7 64bit, i7-2700k, 16GB memory
F4tty Rider

Postby NNN636574818474151803 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:23 am

Hello,

I also have the Samyamg 12mm f2 for Sony e-mount, and I find it pretty frustrating that this lens, although being released in 2014 and being a very popular lens, still is not supported by Capture One.

I contacted Phase One twice concerning this matter in the last two years, to no avail.

Now, since other users also have contacted Phase One regarding this matter and nothing has been done, perhaps we should move to a software with a better lens support :\ I find it quite annoying that I need to use LR or other software only to correct the lens distortion.

p.s. I know that some people use the Zeiss Touit 12mm profile, but I still find it difficult to correct the distortion using the sliders.

Do you have any suggestions? Can you recommend any specific settings I can use?

Thanks in advance!
NNN636574818474151803

Return to Capture One 10.x Software