Session subfolder can't include JobName?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Session subfolder can't include JobName?

Postby NNN635952790483209638 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 am

Just something I found odd. It's possible to even use the description field for naming a session subfolder automatically, but for jobs, only "JobIdentifier" is supported and not "JobName".

I am now using the "Description" field for this, but is there a particular reason why JobName is supported for photo names but not subfolder names?
NNN635952790483209638

Re: Session subfolder can't include JobName?

Postby Jim_DK » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm gonna guess here as to what I think you mean.

Job name is a freetext field extracted by the Job name token for the purpose of batch operations.

The same concept exists for folders, but its called Sub name. This is extracted to a folder name by using "Sub name" token in the Sub folder field (recipe>file).

Does that answer your question?
James
Phase One DK
Jim_DK
Crew
Crew

Postby NNN635952790483209638 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:32 am

Jim_DK wrote:I'm gonna guess here as to what I think you mean.

Job name is a freetext field extracted by the Job name token for the purpose of batch operations.

The same concept exists for folders, but its called Sub name. This is extracted to a folder name by using "Sub name" token in the Sub folder field (recipe>file).

Does that answer your question?

Apologies for being a little bit unclear about what I wanted to ask. Let me try again:
I want to organize my photos in the format of
Code: Select all
year/
    year-month-date---job-name/
         year-month-date---job-name-01.RAW
         year-month-date---job-name-02.RAW
         year-month-date---job-name-03.RAW

The problem is that the import dialog does not give any option to include the job name in the subfolder naming pattern. Only the "Job Identifier". The "file name" pattern on the other hand allows to name files with whatever is written in the job name field.

Odd fields like "Description" are usable in both subfolder naming and file-naming, making it a lot more versatile than "Job Name" but it feels hacky.

I figured out that I can still trick C1 to create it the way I want by ignoring the "Sub Folder" field completely and just write slashes ("/") into the file name recipe. However, adding or deleting any extra character is automatically removing all slashes from the file name Recipe which tells me that C1 does not want me to do this.
On top of that, if I import files this way into subfolders, it creates the folders correctly but the images don't actually show up in the Capture One session window.

I guess the question is: Why can I not use "Job Name" in the sub-folder recipe? And is there a other way to get what I want?
NNN635952790483209638

Postby SFA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:33 pm

NNN635952790483209638 wrote:
I guess the question is: Why can I not use "Job Name" in the sub-folder recipe? And is there a other way to get what I want?

Enter the same text in the Sub Name option (for folders) as you have in the Job Name option (For files)?
SFA

Postby DutchieOnABudget » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:45 pm

SFA wrote:
NNN635952790483209638 wrote:

Enter the same text in the Sub Name option (for folders) as you have in the Job Name option (For files)?

Okay, so I am having the same problem where I want the "job name" in the sub-folder name. I can't figure it out and the suggestion made here doesn't seem to work either, as there is no such token as "Sub name"......
How can i get the job name in the sub folder name??? Shouldn't be too hard, should it?
Also, what is the difference between the "job name" and the "job identifier"?

Thanks, Eric
DutchieOnABudget

Postby Jim_DK » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:13 pm

As already stated Job name is a freetext field extracted to the Job name token for the purpose of batch operations - Import naming and batch rename for example.

The idea is simply to take the text in the Job name field and parse it where the job name token is in the name for that operation. It is not stored any where as a variable to use elsewhere or later.

Typically the use case is to quickly replace some text in the naming without risk of altering the rest of the string.

I may have confused some concepts in my previous post: lets try this again.

The same concept of parsing text from a field and replacing the token exists for folders, but its called "Sub name". This is extracted to a folder name by typing some text in the recipes Sub name field, then use the "Sub name" token in either the Output location > sub folder field, or the recipe "Sub folder" field.

The differences are Jobidentifier (gets text from IPTC field Jobidentifer) and Jobname gets it from the Job name field.
James
Phase One DK
Jim_DK
Crew
Crew

Postby DutchieOnABudget » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:41 pm

Jim_DK wrote:As already stated Job name is a freetext field extracted to the Job name token for the purpose of batch operations - Import naming and batch rename for example.

The idea is simply to take the text in the Job name field and parse it where the job name token is in the name for that operation. It is not stored any where as a variable to use elsewhere or later.

Typically the use case is to quickly replace some text in the naming without risk of altering the rest of the string.

I may have confused some concepts in my previous post: lets try this again.

The same concept of parsing text from a field and replacing the token exists for folders, but its called "Sub name". This is extracted to a folder name by typing some text in the recipes Sub name field, then use the "Sub name" token in either the Output location > sub folder field, or the recipe "Sub folder" field.

The differences are Jobidentifier (gets text from IPTC field Jobidentifer) and Jobname gets it from the Job name field.

Hello Jim,

I think you are talking about the Exporting recipes. However, I was talking about when I want to import my images form my memory cards to my drive, using he "Import Images" command.
I have a screenshot showing what I am talking about but don't know how to attach that here. It shows there is no token for the "Sub name" in that subfolder naming routine. So, both the "Job name" and the "Sub name" are used in the exporting recipes and such but not in the importing function.....
Why is it available elsewhere and not there?

Eric
DutchieOnABudget

Postby Jim_DK » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:45 am

In the recipe scenario you can have multiple recipes processing simultaneously, all using different Sub names - and so by using the Sub name token in the output automate each recipe naming or folders.

As import is only a single action it was not needed (at least in how sub name was intended).

However I can see what you are getting at from a more holistic design point of view. I'd raise a feature request with support so it is logged.

That field is scritptable though (on Mac)... ;)
James
Phase One DK
Jim_DK
Crew
Crew

Postby DutchieOnABudget » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Jim_DK wrote:In the recipe scenario you can have multiple recipes processing simultaneously, all using different Sub names - and so by using the Sub name token in the output automate each recipe naming or folders.

As import is only a single action it was not needed (at least in how sub name was intended).

However I can see what you are getting at from a more holistic design point of view. I'd raise a feature request with support so it is logged.

That field is scritptable though (on Mac)... ;)

Hello Jim,

Unfortunately I am on a Windows system.....
I haven't had a chance to look into the exporting thing. I am just now started using Capture One and this is on of the functions I would like to use to import my images into CO and also copy them to my hard drives for further processing and backing up....

How do I do the feature request?

Eric
DutchieOnABudget

Postby DutchieOnABudget » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:07 pm

Hello All,

I am back using Capture Pro 11 now, after having bought a Sony A7III.
I notice that the above issue is still around and nothing has been added to the Sub-folder creation during Image import into the Catalog, to allow for the sub folder name use the "Jobname" as well, like for the creation of the file name.
At this point I am hacking this by adding the Jobname from the file name creation into the screen where you setup the sub-folder tokens and just paste the jobname text into field there. Not handy if you need to do a lot of imports.

How do I achieve the following during import and setting up my Catalog(s):

year/
yymmdd - jobname/
yymmdd - jobname-0001.RAW
yymmdd - jobname-0002.RAW
yymmdd - jobname-0003.RAW

SO, again, how do I get the "Job name" token to be available for the sub folder creation?
What is the process to do the feature request?

Thanks to all and it is good to be back. I love this program, now that I (sorta) know how to use it.

Eric
DutchieOnABudget

Return to Capture One 10.x Software