using LUT (3dl, cube etc..)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

using LUT (3dl, cube etc..)

Postby NN112222UL2 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:12 am

Hi,
I am about move from PS to C1.
How can I use Look Up Tables (LUT) such as .3dl or .cube (from 3ldcreator or SmallHD)?

thanks in advance!
Sam
NN112222UL2

Re: using LUT (3dl, cube etc..)

Postby brianmerwin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:53 pm

Hi Sam.

First - Capture One isn't an alternative to Photoshop, it's something you'd typically use in combination (Raw processing in Capture One, and retouching in Photoshop).

At present, capture one doesn't support LUTs. It does however support ICC profiles.

Typically my approach here would be either to use software to convert a LUT to an ICC profile and import the profile in to Capture One or (more likely) finish my raw processing in Capture One, and launch Photoshop for retouching - and from there I'd load in a LUT as an adjustment layer.

There's no right or wrong answer here because it depends largely on the volume of images you're working on, but I personally follow a workflow closer to that of video production which is that color grading is one of the last steps - so all of my raw processing ends up fairly neutral and then I perform the color grade near the end of retouching in Photoshop.

For me this makes the most sense because if I do the color grade in the RAW processing step, and then perform a lot of retouching, I'm stuck with that color grade. If at that point I change my mind, or a client changes their mind about the color grade... I would have to start the retouch over from scratch. So I like to do all of the retouching first, and THEN apply color grading so I have more flexibility.

If you're processing hundreds of images for a job that might not make a ton of sense though.

Good luck!
brianmerwin
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby Stauss Photo » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi Brian,

Quick question on how exactly you would convert the LUT to an ICC profile? I've tried using Photoshop to convert, but the .icc doesn't seem to register when loaded into the "Profiles" folder. Any chance you could help out? I'd rather not pay for a converter, as the only Mac converter is rather expensive. Thank you!

Mac OSX
Capture 10.1.2.26
/Users/<user>/Library/ColorSync/Profiles

Cheers,
Matt
Stauss Photo

Postby frederic_h » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 pm

3D LUTs are not limited to grading tasks. They can be used to correct/alter some color issues in a series too (fixing things like an annoying cast in the shadows during an interior shoot, for instance).

I really wish I could load them directly in C1 so they appear early in the processing pipeline, and have requested such a feature.
Feel free to drop the support a line if you need that too...
frederic_h

Postby PhilippeG » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

You can convert LUTs to ICC profiles for Capture One with the app Lattice (https://videovillage.co/lattice/)
It's not cheap though…
PhilippeG

Return to Capture One 10.x Software