Slow performance on CO 9 and CO 10

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Re: Slow performance on CO 9 and CO 10

Postby NNN636156073736100359 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:52 pm

Hello everyone here. I'm back because as I wrote previously here the bug was so horrible and made CO10 so sluggish I had to reuse Lightroom again. No fixed given by the support even a month after I contact them, I decided to ask them to cancel my subscription because I couldn't use CO10 normally.
I just came back yesterday to ask them if it's now fixed and they just answered me few minutes ago, "It's mark as fixed in 10.0.1". I know it's written fixed in the release note of the 10.0.1 but just in the WINDOWS column not in the MAC one.

So please users, can you confirm me now you don't undergo any slow performances with CO10 on MAC OSX when clicking, displaying multi layers TIFF files please?

Thank you a lot.
NNN636156073736100359

Postby Mark BCN » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:33 pm

At least with simple layered TIFFs 10.0.2 seems to work correctly for me (older versions would hang for several minutes with the same files).

However, I still have a raft of performance issues relating to the catalogue handling and OpenCL dropping out with errors. I have an open support case for these, but there is as yet no solution. For example, launching CO10 is an embarrassment if "all images" was selected when you last quit - as it just sits there seemingly doing nothing for about a minute. Not good if you are with a client. As a work around, all you can do is to avoid ever selecting "All Images".

Part of the problem is that CO10's SQL handling appears to have a number of problems. One issue I had was lags of up to 10 seconds when selecting more than one variant. I fixed this by opening the catalogue DB in an SQL editor and deleting the indexes. Once CO10 had rebuilt them, selection now works quickly again. I can not say that I have ever needed to do this with any other software :?

On the "all images" hang, I suspect that what is happening is that CO10 is trying to update the contents of the DB while also trying to read from it (likely an update run the first time that an album or similar is selected). The result is a huge amount of conflicting IO on the database, with not much to show for it.

I have no idea if my problems are specific to my catalogues, or if they are generic. However, if a solution is not forthcoming shortly, I will have to dump CO and revert to Lightroom - which at least works reliably and quickly. The performance problems are particularly galling because one of CO10's primary improvements was supposedly its performance.
Mark BCN

Postby FL_ » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:50 pm

No it is not you. There are lots of similar comments and observations and several people have filed bug reports. Unfortunately 10.01 was even worse than 10.0 and 10.02 did not show any improvements at all. I myself have submitted more than 5 technical support cases over the months since the first release. Support has not yet been helpful and for some cases I just don't get any answer at all.

As there no other points official point of contacts provided by PhaseOne all we can do is wait and see...
FL_

Postby col_du_aspin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:33 am

NNN636156073736100359 wrote:
So please users, can you confirm me now you don't undergo any slow performances with CO10 on MAC OSX when clicking, displaying multi layers TIFF files please?

Thank you a lot.

You and I had similar problems with regards to layered TIFFs. I can confirm that there is zero slowness when it comes to clicking between NEF to TIFF, TIFF to TIFF or TIFF to NEF. I could not believe my eyes. Yes all my TIFF files are massive, greater than 1.5GB. I even tried putting my catalog file and image files on an external hard drive (5400RPM) via USB 3.0 and it was very fast.

I tested it using v10.0.1.
col_du_aspin

Postby dredlew » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 am

col_du_aspin wrote:
NNN636156073736100359 wrote:

Thank you a lot.

You and I had similar problems with regards to layered TIFFs. I can confirm that there is zero slowness when it comes to clicking between NEF to TIFF, TIFF to TIFF or TIFF to NEF. I could not believe my eyes. Yes all my TIFF files are massive, greater than 1.5GB. I even tried putting my catalog file and image files on an external hard drive (5400RPM) via USB 3.0 and it was very fast.

I tested it using v10.0.1.

Unfortunately, I cannot confirm this. Still seeing this lag with TIFF files in v10.0.2. Created a brand new catalog, imported images and made some TIFFs with layers out of it. With comparatively small (~400MB) files, I do get about 5secs lag when selecting a TIFF file. Would you mind providing one of your TIFF files for download so that we can see whether it would be file related? TIA
Fuji X-Pro2 - C1 11.3.0 on OSX 10.14.1 - MacPro (Late 2013) / 3.7GHz Xeon E5 / 64GB / 2x AMD FirePro D300 2GB / BenQ SW320 31.5in 4K
dredlew

Postby col_du_aspin » Tue May 16, 2017 7:14 am

@dredlew - sorry for the late reply. Are you still have slowness issues? direct message me and I can send you a TIF file over to see if you still have speed issues.
col_du_aspin

Postby dredlew » Wed May 17, 2017 7:19 am

col_du_aspin wrote:@dredlew - sorry for the late reply. Are you still have slowness issues? direct message me and I can send you a TIF file over to see if you still have speed issues.

No worries, thanks for checking in. I did have the issue still with 10.0.2 but it's finally gone for me in 10.1.0.
I also don't experience locking up of the UI anymore when trying to import a folder of images that has a bunch of TIFF files in it.

So far so good, fingers crossed it stays that way! :D
Fuji X-Pro2 - C1 11.3.0 on OSX 10.14.1 - MacPro (Late 2013) / 3.7GHz Xeon E5 / 64GB / 2x AMD FirePro D300 2GB / BenQ SW320 31.5in 4K
dredlew

Previous

Return to Capture One 10.x Software