Slow performance on CO 9 and CO 10

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Re: Slow performance on CO 9 and CO 10

Postby NNN636156073736100359 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:43 pm

I'd like you to be aware of this: It's been some days I'm working with the support team by sending them materials, screen recordings, elements from the OSX monitor activity and they answered today that they agree with me, there's an issue here. The bug as been reproduced and it will be fixed shortly...but they can't tell when.
NNN636156073736100359

Postby Lorenzen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:24 pm

Well lets hope that they are quick
Henrik
Sometimes i am so negative that i can't be developed
Mac book pro 1 TB ssd Nikon D3,D200 and D90
Lorenzen

Postby col_du_aspin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:04 am

NNN636156073736100359 wrote:I'd like you to be aware of this: It's been some days I'm working with the support team by sending them materials, screen recordings, elements from the OSX monitor activity

I have just done the same and will report back with their feedback. Let's see what they have to say. I do like their support case system.
col_du_aspin

Postby col_du_aspin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:06 pm

I have heard back from Phase One support and they have confirmed it as a performance bug however as to when this is going to fixed and in which update, I have no idea.

They did indicate that they read the entire TIFF file upon import and when zooming into the file at 100% or beyond. The thumbnails you see in the browser window are "regenerated proxies". I am not sure what they imply by "generated proxies" whether Capture One is creating its own thumbnails and storing it in SQLLite or reading the embedded JEPG inside the TIFF. Something i am waiting for clarification upon.

Edit: As soon as I posted this I had received an update of my query from support. I have pasted their reply verbatim.

"I can not say when it will be fixed, or in what future release. as this is beyond what I can tell. If there is an easy fix in the code it might be a quick fix. If there is a complicated underlying issue that connects to a whole lot of other things it might take time to fix. However, R&D are aware if this and I am sure it it a quite high priority to solve this. The generated proxy is stored in capture one cache in a catalog or *.cop file in a session, it is basically a lower res jpeg of the original file. this we call the "preview" and this is the one that regenerates if your "regenerate preview" size of this is set in capture one preferences. You never view the original unless you zoom in to 100%. hence why you always need to do your proofing at 100% view and not in fit view. Proxy/preview is not stored in the sqllite. as this is considerad as cache and can be rebuilt from original file. thumbnails are a bit different. But if there is no thumb in the Tiff we will generate one and this does on mac take more time then on windows, due to underliend image handleing "engines".."

I would like to know if any Windows users are experiencing the TIFF issue. There is hope.
col_du_aspin

Postby NN139002UL » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:34 am

I'm running the trial version of Pro 10 for now and have been a paid Pro user of C1 for quite a few years.

I bought a new iMac 27# 5K machine about a week ago. Referring only to C1 pro execution, it was almost unusable with its baseline 8GB of memory (hardly surprising) and I received my new 32GB yesterday and found the expected great improvement.

HOWEVER:

I simply cannot get C1 Pro 10 to import files into a new Catalog. No error message is generated but nothing happens. I found it worked if I copied an existing Catalog and import new files into that, however bizarrely even that is impossible. The imports I did achieve were incredibly slow.
NN139002UL

Postby dredlew » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:53 am

col_du_aspin wrote:I have heard back from Phase One support and they have confirmed it as a performance bug however as to when this is going to fixed and in which update, I have no idea.

They did indicate that they read the entire TIFF file upon import and when zooming into the file at 100% or beyond. The thumbnails you see in the browser window are "regenerated proxies". I am not sure what they imply by "generated proxies" whether Capture One is creating its own thumbnails and storing it in SQLLite or reading the embedded JEPG inside the TIFF. Something i am waiting for clarification upon.

Edit: As soon as I posted this I had received an update of my query from support. I have pasted their reply verbatim.

"I can not say when it will be fixed, or in what future release. as this is beyond what I can tell. If there is an easy fix in the code it might be a quick fix. If there is a complicated underlying issue that connects to a whole lot of other things it might take time to fix. However, R&D are aware if this and I am sure it it a quite high priority to solve this. The generated proxy is stored in capture one cache in a catalog or *.cop file in a session, it is basically a lower res jpeg of the original file. this we call the "preview" and this is the one that regenerates if your "regenerate preview" size of this is set in capture one preferences. You never view the original unless you zoom in to 100%. hence why you always need to do your proofing at 100% view and not in fit view. Proxy/preview is not stored in the sqllite. as this is considerad as cache and can be rebuilt from original file. thumbnails are a bit different. But if there is no thumb in the Tiff we will generate one and this does on mac take more time then on windows, due to underliend image handleing "engines".."

I would like to know if any Windows users are experiencing the TIFF issue. There is hope.

Thanks for the update, which confirms my suspicions.

As for;
But if there is no thumb in the Tiff we will generate one and this does on mac take more time then on windows, due to underliend image handleing "engines".."

well, that's BS, since A) my TIFF files do have embedded previews, no need to generate one, and B) Aperture (or Lightroom) handle TIFFs just fine on the Mac. What their statement is really implying, is that C1's engineers don't know how to take advantage of macOS's underlying architecture. Begs the question whether they ever thought about actually asking Apple for advice on how to build a performant RAW editor. It's not like Aperture is a competition anymore.
Fuji X-Pro2 - C1 11.3.0 on OSX 10.14.1 - MacPro (Late 2013) / 3.7GHz Xeon E5 / 64GB / 2x AMD FirePro D300 2GB / BenQ SW320 31.5in 4K
dredlew

Postby col_du_aspin » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:51 am

dredlew wrote: What their statement is really implying, is that C1's engineers don't know how to take advantage of macOS's underlying architecture.

Over the Christmas break, I had reinstalled Mac OS Sierra on my mac together with all the other applications I use. Since I had ample space I partitioned and installed evaluation copies of Windows 10 Enterprise, Capture One 10 and Photoshop CC.

I copied one of my projects (including catalog and images) that I had shot and edited in December to the windows partition. I could not believe my eyes how well Capture One v10 handled the large TIFF files. My TIFF files varied from 1.1GB to 3.5GB with a lot of layers. Changing between TIFF files was lightning fast even the same between NEF to TIFF or TIFF to NEF.

Even under a freshly installed version of Sierra, the TIFF files from the project lagged.

Albeit not being a scientific test but it does prove that Capture One v10 under the mac os has some underlying issues pertaining to the OS.

On a different note I am impressed with Windows 10 as well. The question is do I move to Windows 10 ?
col_du_aspin

Postby col_du_aspin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:40 am

I cannot believe my eyes !!! Seems like Phase One with their release of 10.0.1 seems to have fixed the large TIFF file issue I have been so vocal about in my various posts.

There is literally no slowness when going from NEF to TIFF or vice versa especially with >2GB TIFF files.

Bravo Phase One !!! You have made me very happy. I just hope its not short lived.
col_du_aspin

Postby alan_b » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:34 pm

col_du_aspin wrote:There is literally no slowness when going from NEF to TIFF or vice versa especially with >2GB TIFF files.

Sorry if I missed it: are you talking layered or flattened TIFFs?
alan_b

Postby col_du_aspin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:23 pm

alan_b wrote:Sorry if I missed it: are you talking layered or flattened TIFFs?

All my TIFF files are layered. I cant have flattened files as I will be shooting myself in the foot.
col_du_aspin

Postby alan_b » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 am

Great news - thanks!
alan_b

Postby col_du_aspin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:40 am

alan_b wrote:Great news - thanks!

any chance you can share your feedback on layered TIFF performance ? I am well aware that you will have a different mac system compared to me hence the feedback as it could help someone else.
col_du_aspin

Postby alan_b » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:19 am

col_du_aspin wrote:
alan_b wrote:Great news - thanks!

any chance you can share your feedback on layered TIFF performance ? I am well aware that you will have a different mac system compared to me hence the feedback as it could help someone else.

I stopped using layered TIFFs in C1 since they were unusably slow.

I'm not much help here - not upgrading from 9.3 until 3 showstopper bugs are fixed:
Open CL crashing
Lens movements -> histogram disappears
Layered TIFFs (fixed?)
alan_b

Postby m. kobal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:45 pm

After the upgrade to C10, I experienced painful export speed. 30 files 20 minutes.. I was thinking either my comp. is to slow or the new version of c1 is...
If I wouldn't come across OpenCL term and method of disabling it, I'd definitely go trying to install v9 again or do other silly stuff.
All the speed issues from my experiences and were related to OpenCL (graphic card memory if I understand correctly)...Whatever that is, it helps maybe with previews but for sure disable it for 'processing'. My CPU worked with 20% with OpenCL set on 'auto' mode while exporting files in C1, only 20%! And therefore it took a century.
After I disabled 'OpenCL' for processing, CPU kicks in with 100% and 30 files are processed in 2minutes.

To disable OpenCL:
c1-> edit -> prefferences -> General ->Hardwareacceleration (use openCL for)-> display auto/processing NEVER!
m. kobal

Postby FL_ » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 pm

Might be that a GPU bug is also back in V10 that was solved in 9.2 somewhat and fully in 9.3.
You might want to have a look here

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=21549

If the time it takes to export TIFF or JPG images increases over time almost linearly than this is most likely this bug. I don't see it on my machine but in V9 days not all machines have shown the GPU bug either.

Switching off GPU is the only work around I know off but it has some drawbacks on overall computer performance.

Best
Frank
FL_

PreviousNext

Return to Capture One 10.x Software