Customer complains: files (on USB Stick) have leading "."

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Customer complains: files (on USB Stick) have leading "."

Postby steffensfoto » Mon May 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Occasinally it seems that my CO V10.2 produces output files lookong like this: .HS_20190412_0001.jpg
With the leading dot the files cannot be opened (by less experienced users, eg. my customers).

My Workflow is:
- I let CO output everything to Harddisk, different sizes and qualities - one directory per type
- spot check some files in different directories (on the HDD)
- then I copy everything onto an USB Stick which I send to the customer.

Could that be a problem of the USB Stick I used? Or of the OS my customer is using?
Because the configuration of the output location are identical through all my recepies.

I am Using a MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra)
steffensfoto

Re: Customer complains: files (on USB Stick) have leading ".

Postby Ian3 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:44 pm

If you google on the subject of file names starting with a dot, it appears that they may be for some reason designated as hidden files.

Also, what file system is in use on the USB stick? (FAT32, MacOS Extended, etc)? Could you try reformatting the USB stick using disk utility to a different file system? Do you need to give it to customers using Windows? (If so probably you need to use FAT32).

Ian
Ian3

Re: Customer complains: files (on USB Stick) have leading ".

Postby steffensfoto » Tue May 14, 2019 7:31 am

Yes thank you, I will look into that.

For the records: I found out that IrfanView sometimes has trouble with filenames that have space characters.
This may also be true if the name of a directory (containing the files in question sit) has spaces, eg. "My Directory".
steffensfoto

Return to Capture One 10.x Software