Worklflow issues

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x for Windows

Worklflow issues

Postby DerChef1959 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:00 am

Hi there, maybe someone out there can help me with making my workflow easier:
I save my picture files as follows: the main folder has the format yyyy-mm-dd [description] and that's were the jpgs should end up, in a subfolder called arw I save the raw files.

Right now I have created an import mask like this [Bild Jahr (yyyy)]\[Bild Jahr (yyyy)]-[Bild Monat (MM)]-[Bild Tag des Monats (d)]\arw which puts the raws where I want them. This will only work if I select a (general) import folder manually as the import mask will only then work. I wonder whether this can be done automatically as well, so far I have not found out how.

After the raw import I may end up with several folders for several days which I like to be in just one folder, so I copy them all in one raw subfolder and give the root folder the description as detailed above.

I have not found out to tell the output recipes to store the processed jpgs one folder level above the folder where the raws are. I need to to this manually which is prone to mistakes. I guess I could tell C1 to do this for me but I have fiddled around with all the features it does not work.

All the files are on the local harddrive as my NAS and/or my network is not fast enough to render the raws quickly enough. After I am done with adjusting and processing I move the whole folder to the NAS (and get rewarded with permant crashes since the latest update, see my post below https://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=26332)

Thank you very much for your help
DerChef1959

Re: Worklflow issues

Postby Bobtographer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:02 pm

Are you using Catalogues or Sessions?

I use a single Session.

I copy the files from my cards using Downloader Pro (from Breeze Systems) using DRIVE:\{Y} {m} {J} {b}\RAW - ie. 2017 07 JOBNAME Jul/RAW (using BreezeBrowser Pro I select the keepers and move them up a level in the directory to 2017 07 JOBNAME Jul)

Then in C1 I just point it at the folder in the LIBRARY tab / System Folders, C1 makes the usual directorys inside the selected folder.

When it comes to export. I have C1 pointed towards my export Drive. Using the Sub Folder, I then input the \JobName and hit Process.

C1 has no trouble with me moving / renaming directories while it's still open..

using this method, i've also been able to use 2 machines back in the day to process image heavy jobs (weddings), I was able to map the drive from my workstation on my laptop and select 1/2 the job and hit process, while processing the other 1/2 on the workstation..
Last edited by Bobtographer on Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bobtographer

Postby Bobtographer » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:07 pm

Just as a Test, I've been moving a job directory over to my FREENAS box. Just pointed C1 at it, and it's handling it like a champ over my local 1Gb network..
Bobtographer

Postby DerChef1959 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:52 pm

Bobtographer wrote:Are you using Catalogues or Sessions?

I am using a catalogoue and apparently you do not answer my main question
DerChef1959

Postby Bobtographer » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:29 pm

Do you move the folder in Explorer or in C1?
Bobtographer

Postby DerChef1959 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 pm

Bobtographer wrote:Do you move the folder in Explorer or in C1?

I move in C1 otherwise I lose all the information.
DerChef1959

Postby NN635535894137993652UL » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Dont know if this helps but:
If you type "..\" (without the quotes) in the subfolder field of the process recipe your files will be placed one level up.
NN635535894137993652UL

Postby GerardHenninger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:22 am

NN635535894137993652UL wrote:Dont know if this helps but:
If you type "..\" (without the quotes) in the subfolder field of the process recipe your files will be placed one level up.

Are you sure about this? Doesn't seem to be working in Capture One 10.2 on my Mac.
GerardHenninger

Postby John Doe » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:58 am

Maybe "../", I don't know. "\" has no special meaning on macOS.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.0 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby GerardHenninger » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:55 pm

John Doe wrote:Maybe "../", I don't know. "\" has no special meaning on macOS.

"/" is an invalid character, can't even use it.

I would help me switch to C1 so much if I can just export my photos to the parent folder of where my RAW files are..
Something like : "..\EXPORTS_TIFF".
GerardHenninger

Postby SFA » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Using the Process recipes you can set up your export to go anywhere you like (that the system can access at the time you process and export).

Assuming you are using a Pro level of C1.

I'm not sure about Express for Sony.

Grant
SFA

Postby GerardHenninger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:29 am

SFA wrote:Using the Process recipes you can set up your export to go anywhere you like (that the system can access at the time you process and export).

Grant

I understand, but I want a recipe that basically says "Okay, I will export your edits/selects up one folder to a new folder called "EDITS".

My folder structure is this (like many other photographers)
2017-02-05 - <subject>
-- RAW
-- EDITS
-- SELECTS
-- EXPORT_CLIENTS
-- EXPORT_PORTFOLIO.

All my photos are in RAW but I want my exports to go to EDITS or SELECTS. So one folder up of the RAW folder.
GerardHenninger

Postby Christian Gruner » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:42 pm

GerardHenninger wrote:
SFA wrote:Using the Process recipes you can set up your export to go anywhere you like (that the system can access at the time you process and export).

Grant

I understand, but I want a recipe that basically says "Okay, I will export your edits/selects up one folder to a new folder called "EDITS".

2017-02-05 - <subject>
-- RAW
-- EDITS
-- SELECTS
-- EXPORT_CLIENTS
-- EXPORT_PORTFOLIO.

All my photos are in RAW but I want my exports to go to EDITS or SELECTS. So one folder up of the RAW folder.

In Output tab -> Process Recipe -> File -> Root folder - set to "Image folder"
then in again under Process Recipe -> Sub Folder - set to "..\Edits" (or whatever you like)

this is given you use sessions or a referenced catalog.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby GerardHenninger » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:24 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:
GerardHenninger wrote:

Grant

2017-02-05 - <subject>
-- RAW
-- EDITS
-- SELECTS
-- EXPORT_CLIENTS
-- EXPORT_PORTFOLIO.

In Output tab -> Process Recipe -> File -> Root folder - set to "Image folder"
then in again under Process Recipe -> Sub Folder - set to "..\Edits" (or whatever you like)

this is given you use sessions or a referenced catalog.

Thanks for the reply. Tried that and this happens :

So it creates a weird "-." folder within the same RAW folder.

These were my settings (new recipe, nothing else changed).

I'm on a Mac (MacOS Sierra). Are there any (Mac)users out there where this works?
GerardHenninger

Postby John Doe » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Ask in the Mac section of the forum, you're currently in the Windows section.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.0 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Next

Return to Capture One 10.x Software for Windows