Capture One Pro 10 is so slow that I have to give it up!!!

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x

Capture One Pro 10 is so slow that I have to give it up!!!

Postby Yankov » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:21 am

I am a Capture One Ambassedor myself and I have been having issues with Capture One 10. The most influential one being TOO SLOW. I can hardly browse through the photo in a session. FIX THIS QUICK!!!
Yankov
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Capture One Pro 10 is so slow that I have to give it up!

Postby Ste-1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:07 pm

I'm finding C1 v10 extremely slow too - much, much slower than v9. I'm not sure what the claims of increased speed an efficiency are based on. It can take 3-4 secs to select an image; up to 5 secs to apply an adjustment once I've moved a slider; constant pixelation of images when moving between them - it's like walking through mud.

I've tried suggestions I've seen on this forum such as turning off hardware acceleration, but nothing seems to help.

I'm running: OS Sierra 10.12.1; MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014); 3 GHz Intel Core i7; 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3; Intel Iris 1536 MB.

I'm not giving C1 up, but it is very frustrating when updates, which hype up increased speed and efficiency, are actually slower than their predecessor on the same spec machine.

P.S. I work in sessions
Ste-1

Postby CAPTURE NIKON DPRO1 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:11 pm

I tested the demo with my session catalog
For 2 dayes and found also no speed
I ask my self way should i change my
My better workend v9 .
CAPTURE NIKON DPRO1

Postby Minigill » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:03 pm

I have been using C1 since version 7 with not too many issues on each upgrade. However 10 is awful, it crawls... especially just going from picture to picture. I wish I hadn't bothered to upgrade ! I mainly did it for auto masking for Fuji and the speal of it being faster !!

Mac Mini quad core, 950 SSD, 16GB, Sierra, EIZO monitor. Work in catalogues.

Hope there is a firmware upgrade very very soon. Its putting me off using it and I spend many hours gladly just editing my pics until now.
Minigill

Postby FL_ » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:26 pm

Fully agree.
+
C1P10 is the most unstable and least performing release since I started with C1P8. Even worse it is advertised as "Capture One 10 is a major release with several new features and large scale performance and stability improvements to the Capture One experience" in the release notes and besides some (minor) additional feature I was expecting to pay mostly for performance and stability increase and this is certainly not the case.

Best
FL

PS: I wonder if ever 5% of all customers will use Tangent Systems. I tried the App a couple of times and have then uninstalled it as I cannot see any benefit of using it (and having an insane price). The hardware might be better due to haptic feedback but is even worse with respect to pricing.
FL_

Postby alececco » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:04 am

:shock: :shock:
i am just wondering what you guys are running it on...
I am an ambassador myself. I beta tested and I can tell you that with the exception of a couple of bugs the software is stable and fast.
It slows to a crawl if you use tiffs, that it does. any adjustments you make on a tiff file takes forever but on raw files it flies

care to tell us your sys config?
alececco
alececco

Postby ThomKlim » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:27 am

Selecting and deselecting of thumbnails is awfully slow. Sometimes the beachball is running. All in all not very promising. This is definitely not an upgrade dealing with speed improvments.
ThomKlim

Postby FL_ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:32 am

iMAC 27 i7 3.4 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 680 MX 2GB, images either on NAS with catalog on SSD (400 MB/s) or all on SSD, latest Sierra with all updates. During beta test I used catalogs with few hundred images and that was fine. Once I get into a couple of thousand (all referenced) the problem start. If they are on a NAS (currently not recommended) it gets even worse.
Try a catalog with 10 or more thousand images and click on the all images collection.
FL_

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:20 pm

FL wrote:
Try a catalog with 10 or more thousand images and click on the all images collection.

Yes. I have a catalog of 17,000 + images, and when I click on "All Images", it takes about 30 s to display all the images, while it was 5s with v9. I submitted a case #236310, and the last answer I got was : Merry Christmas :cry: and the case was reported as solved !!
tenmangu81

Postby Christian Gruner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:44 pm

Sorry guys, but You will have to be much more specific in your statements.
What is slow?
What kind of files are you working with ?
What are you doing when it is slow ?

We currently know of an issue with Tiff handling, which will be solved.

Contacting our Support will get You further than this user forum, as we 1) got a fighting chance to sit down and help You one on one, and 2) can register your issues for further tracking and prioritization.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:57 pm

Hi Christian,

Thank you for reading us. I have given the support team all the details in my case #236310, but I am ready to give them one more:
The catalog has been improved significantly with the v10, specifically by the new functionality of renaming, moving files within Capture One, with immediate effect on the files and folders storing device.
An other function of the catalog, very important to me, is to find, for instance, the pictures taken in Paris with my Summicron 90mm in May 2015. For that, I have to go to "All Images", display all the pictures in the browser, and then apply the filters. Displaying my 17,000 + pictures takes about 30s after clicking on "All Images", while it took only 5s with v9.
In Lightroom (that I quit because of its poor capacities of development), it is immediate.
All the other operations are very fast on my computer (MacBook Pro early 2014, SSD 512 GB, RAM 16 GB, referenced catalog on an external HDD 1TB 7200 rpm).

Cheers,
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby Christian Gruner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:06 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:
FL wrote:
and the case was reported as solved !!

The solved-status is seen as a Support status. They have done their job of reporting your issue to R&D.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby John Doe » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:27 pm

Christian Gruner wrote:
tenmangu81 wrote:
FL wrote:
and the case was reported as solved !!

The solved-status is seen as a Support status. They have done their job of reporting your issue to R&D.

We mentioned that previously, but let me say it once more : this "Solved" statement is very confusing to a lot of users. Makes them think that the issue was indeed solved or that Phase One doesn't give a damn. Could you consider changing it to something more meaningful to the end-user, such as "Reported" ? Thx.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby Christian Gruner » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:36 pm

John Doe wrote:Could you consider changing it to something more meaningful to the end-user, such as "Reported" ? Thx.

You have to take that up with the Support Team directly.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby FL_ » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Christian,
"Sorry guys, but You will have to be much more specific in your statements. "

I have several support cases submitted on this and also described some of the issues in more detail here in the forum
viewtopic.php?f=68&t=25212
Even though I have had extensive discussion with support and they see the issue the last response was "this should not be the case" as well as that 15s of spinning wheel when selecting a collection with just 4000 images "seems ok". Neither does help nor gives me the feedback that the issues are going to be solved and they make working with V10 basically impossible.

Version 9 was/is much much faster on the same catalogs and also more stable as the big memory bug had finally been resolved in V9 is now back.

Best
Frank
FL_

Next

Return to Capture One 10.x Software