Changing Date/Time EXIF data

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x for Mac

Changing Date/Time EXIF data

Postby FredK » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:45 pm

Is it possible to batch change the date/time EXIF data once a set of mages has been imported into the catalog? I need to adjust for an incorrect camera time zone setting so need to change every image time stamp by the same number of hours.
FredK

Re: Changing Date/Time EXIF data

Postby John Doe » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:48 pm

CO never modifies or lets you modify a file. So the answer is no. You'll have to modify the files beforehand with an EXIF editor.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.1.2 (macOS Sierra 10.12.5)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby tenmangu81 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:07 pm

+1

I use ExifTool, from Phil Harvey, free, but you have to enter into the terminal console to write specific commands.
There are some other options, not free, such as Exif Editor or PhotoMill. However, it won't be possible to change date/time for pictures taken before 01/01/1970 (e.g. negative scans....), as Capture One would not accept them.
tenmangu81

Postby Eric Nepean » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:33 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:+1

I use ExifTool, from Phil Harvey, free, but you have to enter into the terminal console to write specific commands.
There are some other options, not free, such as Exif Editor or PhotoMill. However, it won't be possible to change date/time for pictures taken before 01/01/1970 (e.g. negative scans....), as Capture One would not accept them.

I use pyexiftoolgui as GUI to control ExifTool. It is available at https://hvdwolf.github.io/pyExifToolGUI/
Cheers
Eric
(OSX 10.11, iMac and MacBook Air, Panasonic GX7,GM5,G5, Olympus E-M1)
Eric Nepean

Postby tenmangu81 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi Eric,

I have tried to do it, but it doesn't start, and an error window appears with the following message:

exiftool is missing or incorrectly configured in Preferences!
This tool is an absolute must have!
Please set the correct location or install exiftool first.

But I know I have exiftool in my computer, as I can make it work through the terminal !!

It opens then an other window asking me to select something in the finder. If I cancel the action, it tells me:

You canceled the exiftool selection.
The program will quit!
First install exiftool or restart this program and select the correct exiftool.

I tried it many times, and I eventually gave up. :?

Cheers,
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby John Doe » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 pm

You need to tell it where exiftool is located on your system.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.1.2 (macOS Sierra 10.12.5)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:39 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:Hi Eric,

I have tried to do it, but it doesn't start, and an error window appears with the following message:

exiftool is missing or incorrectly configured in Preferences!
This tool is an absolute must have!
Please set the correct location or install exiftool first.

But I know I have exiftool in my computer, as I can make it work through the terminal !!

It opens then an other window asking me to select something in the finder. If I cancel the action, it tells me:

You canceled the exiftool selection.
The program will quit!
First install exiftool or restart this program and select the correct exiftool.

I tried it many times, and I eventually gave up. :?

Cheers,
Robert

John Doe wrote:You need to tell it where exiftool is located on your system.

Hi Robert

The finder window that opens is the result of pyexiftoolgui asking where exiftool is. Your exiftool is probably located here: /usr/local/bin/exiftool

When the finder window opens, I forget if you must select the /usr/bin folder or select the exiftool file, but the tough part may be navigating to the /usr folder since finder doesn't normally show it.

Hiowever, once pyexiftoolgui opens the finder window, if you type shift-apple-G or select "go to Folder" you can then type in /usr, and the rest should be straightforward from there.

An alternative is to start with finder, type shift-apple-G, type in /usr <enter>, now you will see the bin folder, drag it to your finder sidebar. Then start pyexiftoolgui, when it opens the finder window, select the bin folder in the sidebar, and go on from there.
Cheers
Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby tenmangu81 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Hi,

Thanks !! I could open pyexiftoolgui, but cannot display neither the loaded image, nor metadata. I guess this is because exiftool is used within Exif Editor : I could find it only in the Resources of Exif Editor, but not in /usr/local/bin.
But I think I will find out, anyway....
Thanks again !!
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby Eric Nepean » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:16 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:Hi,

Thanks !! I could open pyexiftoolgui, but cannot display neither the loaded image, nor metadata. I guess this is because exiftool is used within Exif Editor : I could find it only in the Resources of Exif Editor, but not in /usr/local/bin.
But I think I will find out, anyway....
Thanks again !!
Robert

pyexiftoolgui doesn't change the metadata itself. It takes the users input from it's window, and then makes a command or series of commands that should make exiftool do the actual work. But this all breaks down if it cannot find exiftool.

Since you know exiftool is present, but not where, this command should help you find it. Copy and paste into terminal the following, and press enter:
Code: Select all
sudo find -x / -iname "exiftool"

Translation from unix: "Acting as superuser (sudo) , search all folders starting at the root directory (find /), skipping folders representing other drives or devices (-x) , for a file or folder called "exiftool", ignoring case (-iname "exiftool")

Terminal will start by asking for your admin password, and then take a few seconds to run.
Cheers
Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby tenmangu81 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:24 pm

Thanks Eric,

Yes, I did find it at /usr/local/bin/
But it doesn't work anyway, I don't know why. I can load an image, but I can't display any metadata :?:
It works almost well with Exif Editor, which uses Phil Harvey's exiftool as well.
Did you use the bundle or the tar.gz to download the software ?
tenmangu81

Postby Eric Nepean » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:07 am

It's so long ago I don't remember- probably the dmg. I'm heading off on a ski weekend, so I won't be online for a few days.
Cheers
Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby Eric Nepean » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:56 pm

tenmangu81 wrote:Thanks Eric,

Yes, I did find it at /usr/local/bin/
But it doesn't work anyway, I don't know why. I can load an image, but I can't display any metadata :?:
It works almost well with Exif Editor, which uses Phil Harvey's exiftool as well.
Did you use the bundle or the tar.gz to download the software ?

Since you say that you can load an image with pyexiftoolgui , that means it is running.
With pyexiftoolgu running, go to the preferences pane of pyexiftoolgui, and you will see at the top a field marked "Exiftool"

Type in this field "/usr/local/bin/exiftool"
Cheers
Eric
Eric Nepean

Postby tenmangu81 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Eric Nepean wrote:
Since you say that you can load an image with pyexiftoolgui , that means it is running.
With pyexiftoolgu running, go to the preferences pane of pyexiftoolgui, and you will see at the top a field marked "Exiftool"

Type in this field "/usr/local/bin/exiftool"

Yes, this is what I did !! But nothing is displayed in the window "View data". I have tried with CR2, TIFF, DNG,.... nothing.
But this is out of the scope of this forum, and I have asked the question to the pyexiltoolgui team and developers.
Wait and see.
Thanks for your time anyway, Eric, and have a nice ski weekend !!
Cheers,
Robert
tenmangu81

Postby dredlew » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:24 am

If you don't want to jump through command line hoops and you still have a copy of Aperture, use that instead. Handle all your metadata edits in Aperture, then write them into the file and update the metadata in C1 (this obviously only works for referenced catalogs).
Nikon D750 - C1 10.0.2 on OSX 10.12.2 - iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) / 3.4GHz i7 / 32GB / GTX 680MX 2GB
dredlew

Postby tenmangu81 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks dredlew,

I don't have Aperture, but it seems to work with Lightroom too. Except when time/date data are before January 1st, 1970, that Capture One can't take into account, I don't know why.....
tenmangu81

Next

Return to Capture One 10.x Software for Mac