Can't make adjustments to archived images

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Can't make adjustments to archived images

Postby Robert4 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:22 pm

I just realized that I am unable to make any adjustments to any of my archived raw files that were burned to disc. The images look fine, but all the sliders are missing. When using Photo Ninja, however, all adjustments are there and fully functional. When I view the same back-up files from my external hard drive, everything is fine - all the sliders are there and active.

I must be doing something stupid, but, unfortunately, don't know what it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robert4

Re: Can't make adjustments to archived images

Postby Ian3 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:41 pm

The files you burned to disc would be read only. I don't know whether you are using a catalog (and if so whether referenced or managed) or a session. I tend to use sessions, and Capture One stores small files for the previews, and the adjustments, and things like local adjustment masks, in subfolders of the folder where the raw files are. Obviously if that is a read-only location it can't do that.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Robert4 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:26 pm

Thank you for your reply. If the files are read only, why is it possible to make full, comprehensive adjustments in Photo Ninja and DPP?
Robert4

Postby Ian3 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:46 am

Maybe Photo Ninja and DPP don't try to store information about adjustments in the same location as the raw files. But you said that the archived files were "burned to disc" by which I assume you mean burned to a CD or DVD, in which case they are certainly read only.

Ian
Ian3

Postby Robert4 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks, Ian3, for the response. Your explanation makes sense. I always knew my original raws were "good burns," I was just a little surprised that they couldn't be manipulated in Capture One. That's OK - I have work-arounds, so no big deal.
Robert4

Postby Ian3 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:56 am

Robert4 wrote:Thanks, Ian3, for the response. Your explanation makes sense. I always knew my original raws were "good burns," I was just a little surprised that they couldn't be manipulated in Capture One. That's OK - I have work-arounds, so no big deal.

Apart from anything else, you can always copy them from the optical media to some other place.

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 9.x Software