Spot tool limited to 100?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Spot tool limited to 100?

Postby Sensel » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:05 pm

Is there any way to get past the limit of only 100 spot removals in 9.1?
I have some dirty negatives and, I literally can't print one because it has 102 spots on it. (Actually is has about 200+ but, for the print size, and a test print I ran, 102 show up, mostly small white specks but also one long worm like one.)
Although, I have many other negs with many, many more spots… which, apparently, 9.1 is useless for editing. (Dust and bits on negatives is par for the course with scanning from film.)
This limit was not an issue in Aperture! Indeed, I know of no limit on speck removal on any image editing software I have used since 1988. Including some that no longer exist. So this crippling of a feature comes as a shocking and befuddling surprise for me!
Why?! and in a high number version too! OK, maybe a limit on v1 or v2 but v9?!
Using heal in local will not work on this image and, it too is crippled for size adjustment of selection.
Something is rotten Denmark…
Sensel

Re: Spot tool limited to 100?

Postby fotojenic777 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:55 am

I know it's not a long term solution but with 102 spots there must be some quite close together - have you tried a larger diameter spot tool that can try and heal more than one spot at a time. I cleaned an image for a friend and registered 92 spots but several were grouped together so the actual count was over 100. In fact I didn't realise there was this limit until I read your post.
fotojenic777

Postby Sensel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:39 pm

fotojenic777 wrote:I know it's not a long term solution but with 102 spots there must be some quite close together - have you tried a larger diameter spot tool that can try and heal more than one spot at a time. I cleaned an image for a friend and registered 92 spots but several were grouped together so the actual count was over 100. In fact I didn't realise there was this limit until I read your post.

Yes, I tried that but, it does not always work due to disturbance of larger non spot area around the spots.
Don't get me started on long thin negative scratch lines… Ugh!
Sensel

Postby Sensel » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:40 pm

Polaroid, yes Polaroid, made an GREAT automatic spot and scratch removal tool and it was FREE. Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal. But it vanished when the company really bit the dust )pun intended). It stopped working with an OS X update a few version ago. Whoever has that code should get it working again and sell it. I would buy it!
Sensel

Postby John Doe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:26 pm

Apparently it was a PowerPC plugin/app: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/photosh ... filter.htm

So it probably stopped working when Apple dropped PowerPC support in Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6).
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby fotojenic777 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:24 am

Sensel wrote:
fotojenic777 wrote:I know it's not a long term solution but with 102 spots there must be some quite close together - have you tried a larger diameter spot tool that can try and heal more than one spot at a time. I cleaned an image for a friend and registered 92 spots but several were grouped together so the actual count was over 100. In fact I didn't realise there was this limit until I read your post.

Yes, I tried that but, it does not always work due to disturbance of larger non spot area around the spots.
Don't get me started on long thin negative scratch lines… Ugh!

Yes, I've been caught out by that too.
fotojenic777

Return to Capture One 9.x Software