Re: Can I retrieve Images from Catalogue w/o original files

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Postby NN635218242853298600UL » Thu May 04, 2017 4:39 am

Hey all,

I have a very technical software questions and I am not sure if this is the forum for it. My drive crashed and the recovery firm lost my drive somehow and I dont have any other back up. I cannot retrieve the images from my SD cards. I'm an apple user and I work on both my macbook pro & an iMac.

Like LR, you can still download the Preview but I have used LR since I started using CaptureOne in years. Is there a way to pull previews from CaptureOne catalogue. Even though its not the full file, Is there a way to even see the images without the file itself.
NN635218242853298600UL

Postby peter.f » Thu May 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Sorry to hear that. What a story!

On a mac, the catalog file you see in the Finder is actually a folder. Right-click (or Control-left-click) on that file and select "Show Package Contents". This opens a new Finder window with the contents of the catalog. In it you'll notice a "cache" folder, and in there is a "Thumbnails" folder with loads of ".cot" files. These are actually little jpg files. Unfortunately, they don't have the original file names and they are rather small. But it might help.

The "Previews" folder contains all previews in a series of subfolders, and the files have the original file names. I thought they (the .cop files) were jpg or tif files, but it seems they're not. Maybe PhaseOne would be willing to help you with these.

HTH,
Peter.
X-T1, X100S; MBP 15" 2010, 8GB, OSX 10.11.4; Catalog on SSD, ref'd images on external USB2.
peter.f

Postby NN635218242853298600UL » Sat May 20, 2017 9:49 am

Thank you Peter

This was really helpful. I have been looking at .cot files for the past few days and cannot seem to see signs of the images I am looking for. I then realized that I created a seperate catalogue in for this wedding I am looking for. My question now is that- what if i create catalogues for each wedding, would this cache folder also be stored the same way for each catalogue & would have it's own ".cot" files?

Also, do you know the direct PhaseOne contact to direct me to? Any help is appreciated.

~Tunji
NN635218242853298600UL

Return to Capture One 9.x Software