New Monitor, New Problem (updated)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

New Monitor, New Problem (updated)

Postby NFG » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:22 am

I recently picked up a new monitor, and C1 is doing something very strange. When I drag the viewer window from the old monitor to the new, the image changes abruptly when it's halfway between the monitors. This isn't a matter of it looking different on different screens, but C1 actively rendering it differently on each monitor.

Basically, C1 is the only app I use (out of four) that is showing me a different image. While editing in C1 the image has a greenish cast, but the output JPGs are coloured correctly in every app, on both monitors. Only C1 is actively changing the image when I drag it from one monitor to another.

<Stuff deleted, update follows>

Slowly solving my own problems here.

C1 is using Windows' monitor colour profile, but I was using Windows' profile selector incorrectly. Though I was adding and selecting the colour profiles, they don't take effect until I 'set as default' one profile or another.

Currently, I've set the profile to sRGB, and the Benq monitor is in sRGB mode, and that seems to have sorted my problem out. There's a difference in brightness between the two monitors (mostly in the shadows, the Eizo has less contrast) but the colours are consistent.

Setting the profile to nothing, or to the Benq-supplied monitor profile, results in a green cast in C1 but nowhere else. It seems weird to me that NOT using the monitor profile makes things work, and so...

I guess my question now is:

Is this the correct way to solve the problem? Am I creating any problems I don't yet notice?
NFG

Re: New Monitor, New Problem (updated)

Postby Bobtographer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:09 pm

you don't have any monitor calibration hardware? :shock:
AMD R1700 OC 3.8GHz | AMD R9 Fury 4GB | 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz DDR 4 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe
LG 27UD88 | LG 27 ColorPrime | C1 11.3 | Win10 64Pro 1803
Bobtographer

Postby NFG » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:10 pm

You don't mention any of the things I did, nor offer anything related to the questions I asked.

So, in all seriousness, is your reply in any way relevant to my question? Why would having a calibration device explain how C1 manages its display rendering, or whether using sRGB will cause me trouble?
NFG

Postby John Doe » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:29 pm

NFG wrote:You don't mention any of the things I did, nor offer anything related to the questions I asked.

So, in all seriousness, is your reply in any way relevant to my question? Why would having a calibration device explain how C1 manages its display rendering, or whether using sRGB will cause me trouble?

CO10 introduced an automatic calibration feature for Eizo monitors, so it might indeed be relevant.

Also, try not to be rude when replying to fellow users. Thanks.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby Bobtographer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:46 am

NFG wrote:You don't mention any of the things I did, nor offer anything related to the questions I asked.

Monitors don't come calibrated out of the box, every screen is different.. you might want to look at getting something like a Spyder or a X-Rite to make sure both monitors are as close to each other as possible.. I take it your Benq is a IPS panel and not TN?
AMD R1700 OC 3.8GHz | AMD R9 Fury 4GB | 32GB G.Skill FlareX 3200MHz DDR 4 | 250GB Samsung 960 Evo M.2 NVMe
Bobtographer

Postby NFG » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:08 am

John Doe wrote:CO10 introduced an automatic calibration feature for Eizo monitors, so it might indeed be relevant.

Also, try not to be rude when replying to fellow users. Thanks.

I'm sorry I didn't mention I'm using C1 v9, but it changes nothing - my Eizo panel is not one of the ones that C1 supports regarding calibration.

And I went out of my way to avoid being rude, if you inferred otherwise I suggest the problem is on your end.

Bobtographer wrote:Monitors don't come calibrated out of the box, every screen is different.

You are incorrect, sir. Some monitors, including this one, are factory calibrated, and mine came with a nice A4 sheet detailing the specifics of that calibration (which is stored in the monitor, and does not rely on the OS or software to support it).

And calibration is not my problem nor my question. I asked (and answered myself) how C1 determined what it should be doing with the monitor display (it relies on Windows' color management profiles). The monitor supports 100% of sRGB, and in sRGB mode with an sRGB profile applied, it seems to work fine.

I am asking, specifically, why it might be that the default monitor profile (the same as no profile at all) is so far off, and if by choosing this sRGB profile I might be inviting problems I don't foresee.
NFG

Postby Bobtographer » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:35 pm

NFG wrote:You are incorrect, sir. Some monitors, including this one, are factory calibrated, and mine came with a nice A4 sheet detailing the specifics of that calibration (which is stored in the monitor, and does not rely on the OS or software to support it).

Ah, so you use the same lighting conditions as those in the factory where it was calibrated? Impressive ;)

Glad you're solving the problems slowly yourself :)
Bobtographer

Postby NFG » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Bobtographer wrote:Ah, so you use the same lighting conditions as those in the factory where it was calibrated? Impressive ;)

No, because it's irrelevant and I'm not interested in that level of accuracy. "Pretty close" is close enough for me.

Bobtographer wrote:Glad you're solving the problems slowly yourself :)

Pretty much have to around here. :P

(Hey John: Now I'm being rude, feel free to chime in.)
NFG

Postby WPNL » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Keep in mind most GPU's support only 1 gamma table.
So if you want both monitors to use their own and a calibated setting you should have 2 GPU's.

Unless you're on a Quadro or FireGL? (if I understood right)
WPNL

Postby NFG » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:45 am

WPNL wrote:Keep in mind most GPU's support only 1 gamma table.
So if you want both monitors to use their own and a calibated setting you should have 2 GPU's.

That's interesting, I didn't know that. If both monitors are set to 2.2 am I more or less OK on this front?
NFG

Postby WPNL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 am

I'm not on my pc so forgive me for not being able to write story, try from here?
I meant calibration (not only gamma specifically)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53122572
WPNL

Postby NFG » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:02 pm

WPNL wrote:I'm not on my pc so forgive me for not being able to write story, try from here?
I meant calibration (not only gamma specifically)

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53122572

I've been looking around and haven't found anything specific about my video card (An AMD R9 200) yet, but I've found several comments that seem to indicate that most -modern- cards do have dual LUTs and can handle separate profiles. Not sure how true that holds as a rule, but it makes sense that it's the older cards that suffer.
NFG

Return to Capture One 9.x Software