Importing twice

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Importing twice

Postby MikeFromMesa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:28 pm

There must be something I am missing.

I imported some of my wife's jpgs from one day of our recent trip to do some adjusting. I wanted to do some local adjustments to color the sky, but not the ground, but C1 would not allow me to do that (apparently it does not allow local adjustments for jpgs) so I decided I needed to use one of my external editors to do the work. Instead of using Edit With I decided to use Open With since I had not actually done any adjustments on the file yet and, when I exported the adjusted file back to the original folder, it did not (of course) show up in the filmstrip because the copy (with a different name) had not been part of the original import. I then imported the single jpg image assuming it would show up with the other images I imported previously, but instead I got a new view with only that single image.

OK. I know what caused the problem - I should have used Edit With to allow C1 to produce the new file. It would then have been added to the catalog and I would be good to go. I know that, but forgot when I used Open With instead. The question is - what can I do to get back to the original contents of the catalog and then move this new file into it so I have all of the photos from that day's work, including the newly created one? I have looked through the menu commands assuming I would find something like "Move Current Image into Original Catalog Because You Did Something Stupid", but I could not find that or anything else that looked like it would do what I wanted to do.

Any help would be appreciated.
MikeFromMesa

Re: Importing twice

Postby fotojenic777 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:38 am

MikeFromMesa wrote:There must be something I am missing.

I imported some of my wife's jpgs from one day of our recent trip to do some adjusting. I wanted to do some local adjustments to color the sky, but not the ground, but C1 would not allow me to do that (apparently it does not allow local adjustments for jpgs).

I only edit jpegs and use local adjustments all the time. I do have the pro version not the express which from memory did have that restriction.

In my experience when editing jpegs you can't do the following (there may be more that you can't do, I just haven't come across it)

Show focus mask
Use Auto Masking (though I think this might now work in v10)
Use pre-defined WB settings

Robin
fotojenic777

Postby MikeFromMesa » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:18 pm

fotojenic777 wrote:
I only edit jpegs and use local adjustments all the time. I do have the pro version not the express which from memory did have that restriction.

OK. But then I do not know what else might be causing the following:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vv88eudmbyf9v8c/CannotCreateMask.jpg?dl=0

Perhaps the problem instead is the jpg format from my external editor. I will load this image into another editor and make sure it is re-written and see if that solves this problem. Thank you for the info.

Of course this still leaves me with the original problem in that I can not find a way to combine the newly imported image with the original images. I guess I will have to create a brand new catalog and start over again, this time always using Edit With.
MikeFromMesa

Postby fotojenic777 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:21 pm

Mike. The error message from Dropbox is saying that you cannot use the AUTO mask feature on jpegs. This is one of the three functions I have so far uncovered that COP does not allow on jpegs. However manually drawing the mask works just fine; I use it myself all the time.

Regards Robin
fotojenic777

Postby MikeFromMesa » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:55 pm

fotojenic777 wrote:Mike. The error message from Dropbox is saying that you cannot use the AUTO mask feature on jpegs. This is one of the three functions I have so far uncovered that COP does not allow on jpegs. However manually drawing the mask works just fine; I use it myself all the time.

Regards Robin

Thank you. I see that now. I guess I just fell into the trap of not paying sufficient attention to what the software was telling me. I read the message, but assumed that it was talking about masking, not Auto Masking.

Thank you. Oh, and I have also solved the original problem (importing a new image left me with a workspace with only that image, not all of the rest).
MikeFromMesa

Postby fotojenic777 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:05 pm

No worries and I'm glad you sorted your other issue

Rgds Robin
fotojenic777

Return to Capture One 9.x Software