Automatically cropped images?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Automatically cropped images?

Postby AgostinoM » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Hello all, I've shot a few pics with my Sony camera (and a 20mm Minolta lens) in RAW format. When I open them in C1 Pro 9.3, I see that their edges are slightly cropped. Have a look at the following example:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4IWETxTpuLUUU5mQk9CbEt5V28

(Left: the image opened with Preview. Right, the same file as displayed in C1).

But if I look at the same image in the C1's Navigator pane, the image is not cropped. It's only in the Viewer/Browser (and then in the resulting file, once processed) that the cropping arises:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4IWETxTpuLUSHNXYnRBYzlTNEk

Is there anything I could do to avoid this?

Thanks and regards
Kind regards,
Agostino Maiello
AgostinoM

Re: Automatically cropped images?

Postby Ian3 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:53 pm

This is the result of C1 automatically applying lens corrections. If you go to the lens tab, and uncheck the box that says hide distorted areas, you should see a difference. I think there is a way of getting it not to do that automatically, but I can't recall exactly what it is However, there have been quite a few threads in the forum about it, so a search will probably lead you to at the answer.

Ian
Ian3

Postby NN635638260313156410UL » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:24 pm

Here a link to a very good description about this phenomena.

http://lifeafterphotoshop.com/can-captu ... ur-camera/

It's more present on the wide-angle side - and well, it's somtimes just helpful !
NN635638260313156410UL

Postby AgostinoM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks guys, your tips have been useful.
Kind regards,
Agostino Maiello
AgostinoM

Postby Ian3 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:28 am

Also, depending on the camera sensor and the lens, you may be getting more than the official size. One of my cameras is a Canon S110 compact producing 12 megapixel images. Zoomed to wide angles I get by default a 4000 x 3000 pixel image. But in the crop tool I can actually stretch to 4668 x 3257. (It's pretty distorted at the edges, though.) On the other hand zoomed to the longest focal length, I can't stretch the crop beyond 4000 x 3000.

I think the comment about it being sometimes useful is absolutely right. Just occasionally (more often with a different camera and lens) I sometimes stretch a wide angle shot in this way if I couldn't otherwise quite fit everything in and it's the kind of shot where the distortion won't be too noticeable. But generally the bits that the lens distortion tool hides are best left hidden.

Ian
Ian3

Postby AgostinoM » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:40 pm

Ian3 wrote:Also, depending on the camera sensor and the lens, you may be getting more than the official size. One of my cameras is a Canon S110 compact producing 12 megapixel images. Zoomed to wide angles I get by default a 4000 x 3000 pixel image. But in the crop tool I can actually stretch to 4668 x 3257. (It's pretty distorted at the edges, though.) On the other hand zoomed to the longest focal length, I can't stretch the crop beyond 4000 x 3000.

I think the comment about it being sometimes useful is absolutely right. Just occasionally (more often with a different camera and lens) I sometimes stretch a wide angle shot in this way if I couldn't otherwise quite fit everything in and it's the kind of shot where the distortion won't be too noticeable. But generally the bits that the lens distortion tool hides are best left hidden.

Ian

Ian, I agree with you. In my specific case, unchecking the Hide Distorced Areas did not change anything. But I noticed that my Distortion slider was set at 33% and C1 was automatically applying the lens profile, ie the Sony A-mount 20mm F/2.8 (actually I have the Minolta version, though). If I set the Distortion to 0%, or I disable the lens profile and use a generic one, the image stretches out and I gain back the lost pixels.
Kind regards,
Agostino Maiello
AgostinoM

Return to Capture One 9.x Software