Image files in Finder not visible in C1P9

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Image files in Finder not visible in C1P9

Postby ashamota » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:18 pm

After experiencing several weeks of grief with the C1P10 upgrade I returned to C1P9 and have found it quite a bit better except for the fact that I am unable to view some image files in C1P9 that I see in my finder.

The files in question are Tiff files that I variants of files that I took from C1P9 into Photoshop to do a little work on and saved and it's been my experience that such filess are almost immediately visible Capture One with the PS adjustments applied. That actually did occur this morning with one other file that I took from C! to PS made a few adjustment ansd then saved back to C1. However, for several others it doesn't work although the files are visible in the finder.

I made sure that all filters were off in C1 so that's not the problem and the images are in the right file in the finder but aren't visible in C1.

Can anyone tell me why this might be happening.

Thank you
ashamota

Re: Image files in Finder not visible in C1P9

Postby RobertJosephBailey » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:54 pm

Dear Ashamota

I don't have an answer, but I do have the same problem.

I posted this on 23rd December 2016 (I have removed some of the irrelevant bits):

I am starting the process of scanning my film.

I use the OEM scanning software through Photoshop Elements 2. This enables me to batch convert the scan files to a variety of formats and rename them.

I am saving to TIF files.

The TIF files display fine in Windows Explorer and Mac Finder (and Preview).

The problem is:
When I try to import them into C1 (9.3 Mac) The import window shows them as an outline (no thumbnail) and I have to choose which files to import by checking the file name rather than looking at the thumbnail. This is very time consuming and frustrating.

Once I press the import button the thumbnails start to appear.

Can anyone help with this.

Thank you.

Robert

I have no answer but it seems no one else here does because I have no replies.

A least we know we are not crazy and imagining it! :-)

Robert
Robert
RobertJosephBailey

Postby RobertJosephBailey » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:58 pm

I will add that files saved as TIF in Nik software and Affinity Photo show up fine.
Robert
RobertJosephBailey

Postby ashamota » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks for your reply. This is puzzling but Something must have changed the file in a way that C1 can't digest. I'm not sure what because I just successfully processed an image this morning in Photoshop and then returned it OK to Capture One;however, some of the files I processed yesterday and I can see in the Finder do not appear in Capture One even though other files in the same folder with the same format do.
ashamota

Postby SFA » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:13 pm

Are there any differences in the PS output for the TIFF files that appear compared to those that don't appear?

Bear in mind that there are a number of variations on the TIFF format standard.

Also check sizes. (See the release notes.) Very small or very large file dimensions might cause a limitation although that is less likely if you are using a recent release of V9.

Grant
Last edited by SFA on Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFA

Postby peter.f » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:50 pm

OK, maybe this is silly, but...

Can you check the extension of the files? It shouldn't make a difference, but I vaguely remember encountering a similar issue where C1 was very picky about the extension. E.g. jpg, JPG, jpeg or JPEG and tif, tiff, TIF, TIFF.
X-T1, X100S; MBP 15" 2010, 8GB, OSX 10.11.4; Catalog on SSD, ref'd images on external USB2.
peter.f

Postby TomR » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:05 pm

SFA wrote:Are there any differences in the PS output for the TIFF files that appear compared to those that don't appear?

Bear in mind that there are a number of variations on the TIFF format standard.

Also check sizes. (See the release notes.) Very small or very large file dimensions might cause a limitation although that is less likely if you are using a recent release of V9.

Grant

I, too, have this problem with certain TIF files and I suspect that it might be their sizes as opposed to profile information, etc. I note that most scan that I do with the Silverfast software produce TIF files that C1 seems to import without problems. VueScan, on the other hand, produces larger files (given my settings) and these show up as outlined boxes. Changing the output format to "dng" (again, in VueScan) fixes the display problem, however.

Question: Where do I find the Release Notes for Capture One, Version 9.3?
TomR

Postby Ian3 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:01 pm

TomR wrote:Question: Where do I find the Release Notes for Capture One, Version 9.3?

Answer: https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download/Software-Archive/COReleaseNotes.aspx

Ian
Ian3

Return to Capture One 9.x Software