Custom XMP data readable by Capture One?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Custom XMP data readable by Capture One?

Postby murphysm2342 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:46 pm

Hi,
I have some custom XMP data that I have created for our work files. It is info specific to our usage within Photoshop, Bridge and our DAM and is applied via some javascripts we run when naming our files. We're starting to explore the use of Capture One but not finding much info on custom XMP metadata within Capture One. Is it possible for CO to read this custom data? And hopefully modify as well? A screen shot of our XMP panel below.

Thanks,
Sean

murphysm2342

Re: Custom XMP data readable by Capture One?

Postby brianmerwin » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:29 pm

At this point no it's not possible so far as I can tell because the metadata fields available for entry in Capture One are hard coded (you'll need to submit a feature request with Phase One via the support system) but typically the workflow I see with larger organizations that might need this type of metadata is that you shoot the job tethered to capture one, sync metadata (to create xmp sidecar files) and once the job is wrapped people will import the images into their larger DAM system - and honestly you'd be better off using existing IPTC standard metadata fields to avoid this specific issue.

That said, generally speaking I'd strongly recommend creating C1 sessions rather than using the catalog system they have going. It's advanced by leaps & bounds since it was launched but I personally still don't love it and prefer a different system.

If this custom metadata is a big deal for you, I'd definitely reach out to the guys at ShotFlow 1 http://shotflow1.com/ because their product sounds like it's right up your alley.

If you're doing a lot of high volume product photography, then Capture One is definitely the right tool (it's literally 700% faster for tethered shooing than lightroom as a quick example) so I'd give it some serious consideration.

Good luck!
brianmerwin
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Re: Custom XMP data readable by Capture One?

Postby NNN636329868254944849 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:20 pm

Hey murphysm2342,

I have a quick question for you. We too also have started to create custom metadata fields. In your post you included a screenshot showing a tab that groups all your custom metadata in to a nice and organized window. How did you create that window? As of right now I can only see our custom info in the Raw section under our ID Tag.
NNN636329868254944849

Return to Capture One 9.x Software