Catalog File damaged?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Catalog File damaged?

Postby Olyver » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:13 pm

I am using C1 9 Pro (9.0.3) in catalog mode (referenced images) on my MacPro. Accidentally I discovered a difference in the catalog folder structure I have no explanation for:

On the MP the catalog file is stored in my on my boot-drive SSD in the /user/pictures directory which did not contain anything else but an Alias-link to an internal HD containing some other stuff. The RAW pictures from my catalog are organized and stored on a different internal HD.
Now it looks like the „[catalog-name].cocatalogdb“ file is not a package file anymore (right-clicking on it does not offer the option ow viewing package content) - and at the same directory level as the .cocatalogdb file (/user/pictures) there are folders named Adjustments, Cache and Originals.

Looks to me like the package file has kind of fallen apart and the constituent parts are located side by side.
I created a new folder and moved the [catalog-name].cocatalogdb file and the buddies Adjustments, Cache and Originals into it. Launching C1 from this folder results in normal operation.

Does anybody have an idea about what might have happened and how I could convert my file collection into a package file like the original one it must have been before one day?
On the other hand I could live with the current situation as everything seems to be working like it should…

Oliver
Olyver

Re: Catalog File damaged?

Postby HansB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:43 pm

Olyver wrote:...
Now it looks like the „[catalog-name].cocatalogdb“ file is not a package file anymore (right-clicking on it does not offer the option ow viewing package content)

You are mixing something up here. The '[catalog-name].cocatalogdb' file never was a package. It is the database of the package and belongs into the '[catalog-name].cocatalog' package.

Catalog:
'[catalog-name].cocatalog'

'Show Package Content' of '[catalog-name].cocatalog':
'[catalog-name].cocatalogdb'
/Adjustments
/Cache
/Originals

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby Olyver » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:00 pm

HansB wrote:You are mixing something up here. The '[catalog-name].cocatalogdb' file never was a package. It is the database of the package and belongs into the '[catalog-name].cocatalog' package.

Thanks for your clarification, Hans! The surrounding "shell" (the package file) seems to be broken somehow.

So I just added the suffix ".cocatalog" to the surrounding folder I had created earlier:
The resulting file behaves like a package file now, shows the usual file icon and has the content you would expect!

Thanks a lot for your support!

Best,

Oliver
Olyver

Postby HansB » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:08 pm

I'm glad it helped and it's back to 'normal' again.

I can only assume what might have happened.
The best two guesses are a cut+paste/drag+drop while in the package or a rename where the extension got lost.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby Olyver » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:25 pm

Yes - most likely during backing up or restoring the catalog file while playing around...

Best,
Oliver
Olyver

Return to Capture One 9.x Software