OpenEXR export

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

OpenEXR export

Postby redbeard » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:08 pm

Hello everybody,

New to this forum and not sure if a feature request protocol is in place or not. Having said that, I'd very much appreciate OpenEXR as an export file format option, so as to smooth things out with the rest of my "pipe".

I noticed there was only one other post regarding this, at the beginning of the year - surely I'm not alone in wanting a NEF/.cr2 -> EXR workflow?

Cheers,

Roy
redbeard

Re: OpenEXR export

Postby SFA » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:35 pm

redbeard wrote:Hello everybody,

New to this forum and not sure if a feature request protocol is in place or not. Having said that, I'd very much appreciate OpenEXR as an export file format option, so as to smooth things out with the rest of my "pipe".

I noticed there was only one other post regarding this, at the beginning of the year - surely I'm not alone in wanting a NEF/.cr2 -> EXR workflow?

Cheers,

Roy

Roy,

I have no idea what OpenEXR is but the way to create an Enhancement Request is to make a Support Case and start the title of the request with "Enhancement Request:"

Then describe the request.

This way all requests are assessed and managed in the system that Phase uses to control the support and development of Capture One.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Re: OpenEXR export

Postby redbeard » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:19 pm

Thanks for that, Grant. I'll be sure to put in a formal request.

For those wondering, OpenEXR is a file format that now dominates the visual effects industry (particularly in the world of compositing, at the end of the chain). It's an HDR format pioneered by ILM: cf. http://www.openexr.com/

As it's a 16-bit (half-float) *floating point* format (not integer like TIFFs, JPEGs, etc.), it can accommodate an incredible dynamic range - it could easily preserve all the data in a RAW format and is typically about half the size of a 16-bit TIFF.

It would a wonderful option for those wanting to use Capture One as a bridge between RAW capture and post-prod...

Cheers,

Roy
redbeard

Return to Capture One 9.x Software