Processing Question (Probably Novice Level!!)

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Processing Question (Probably Novice Level!!)

Postby mikebeecham » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:00 pm

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is probably a novice-level question, but this is really the first time I've noticed this, so thought I would ask anyway. I was out shooting today, and took a photo of this bank of trees. When I get back to process the image, however, I can see a lot of green and purple fringing in between the branches. I've linked to the image, so you can see it.

I've tried working on everything I can think of: Purple Fringing, Moire, sharpness, clarity, light falloff, etc, and nothing really does the trick.

Is this a simple thing to resolve, or is it really a limitation of the lens? I'm shooting with a Fuji X-T1 and the 23mm F2 lens.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

https://cl.ly/0g170F1X363A
mikebeecham

Re: Processing Question (Probably Novice Level!!)

Postby OddS » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:41 pm

mikebeecham wrote:...a lot of green and purple fringing in between the branches.

Likely Chromatic Aberration. Often seen along high contrast edges like dark branches on a light sky background, or at the rim of speculare light reflections (sun) in rippled water surface etc. It may help to step the lens down. Some lenses are indeed worse, and one lens may do better or worse on a particular camera/sensor.

Purple fringing should be your tool, is defringing not producing any visible change?
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby mikebeecham » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Not really no...this was taken at F7.1, so I get it could be stopped down a little more...bit annoying though since I can't even remove it in post
mikebeecham

Postby photoGrant » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:04 pm

Share a quick screenshot of it at 100% in Capture One itself. Better yet, share the RAW if you're open to doing so.
Grant Hodgeon
Digital Imaging Technician
North America | Europe

http://www.photogrant.com
photoGrant

Postby jjakucyk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:07 pm

I've found Capture One's purple fringing tool to be fairly weak. My 85mm f-1.8 lens can fringe pretty badly if the focus is slightly off. I can see the tool having an effect for sure, but sometimes I want it to go 2x to 3x farther, or to have some extra controls on tint and darkening.
jjakucyk

Postby mikebeecham » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:19 pm

photoGrant wrote:Share a quick screenshot of it at 100% in Capture One itself. Better yet, share the RAW if you're open to doing so.

Here you go mate..have at it!

Thanks for the help, by the way!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/250 ... 104646.RAF
mikebeecham

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:13 pm

If you look at the RAW at 200 or 300% you can see the confusion of lines and colours.

I would say that there are a number of things going on but sharpness and diffraction are probably playing a part.

See what you think about changing the Base Characteristics Curve to Linear.

Then set the Auto adjust for Levels to to Separate Red, Green and Blue channels (Edit > Preferences - Exposure tab) and try a Levels Auto Adjust.

HDR adjust the Highlight quite a bit, the Shadows some.

Exposure up a bit and saturation too. RGB levels to bring the ends in a touch and perhaps a bit of tweaking with a curve on the Blue channel.

Add some clarity - particularly structure.

Always view and make decision at at least 65%. 100% is better. 200% will give you some idea of how the blocks/lines of colour are being changed.

After all of that I think you are simply at the limits of camera and lens capabilities but there are some things that may improve the appearance somewhat.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 9.x Software