2 questions - Cap One express

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

2 questions - Cap One express

Postby Pareshk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi - New here...The quick start says: If you have yet to make a new Session, go to File>New Session. You will be
asked to name your Session and choose a location. But there is no option for new session - only to import an existing session.

Also I downloaded some presets & the instructions say: After download open .zip file; select language; copy the folder inside language folder to: (Mac) [user folder]/Library/Application Support/Capture One/Presets60; (Win) C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Presets60. But there is no app data folder under C/users/user name.
Any ideas? Thanks!!
Paresh
Sony Rx 100 camera
Win 7
Pareshk

Re: 2 questions - Cap One express

Postby Thies » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:56 pm

Regarding the second point, you might need to show hidden items. In Windows Explorer, tab view, just mark the hidden items in the show/hide block.
Thies

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:14 am

NN636090515443321334UL wrote:Hi - New here...The quick start says: If you have yet to make a new Session, go to File>New Session. You will be
asked to name your Session and choose a location. But there is no option for new session - only to import an existing session.

Also I downloaded some presets & the instructions say: After download open .zip file; select language; copy the folder inside language folder to: (Mac) [user folder]/Library/Application Support/Capture One/Presets60; (Win) C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Presets60. But there is no app data folder under C/users/user name.
Any ideas? Thanks!!

Express does not offer sessions - it used Catalogues only.

(Win) C:\Users\[YOUR user name]\AppData\Local\CaptureOne\Presets60

Did you enter your User Name as it is defined for your system? I.e. whichever user name you were logged on as when you installed the Capture One software.

Grant

Which version of Windows do you have installed? (For reference.)
SFA

Postby Pareshk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:57 pm

Thanks for the replies. Yes I did enter my user name but somewhere I read that at least some, if not all of the presets are not for express. I will update after a little more study. I'm on Win 7.
Paresh
Sony Rx 100 camera
Win 7
Pareshk

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:30 pm

NN636090515443321334UL wrote:Thanks for the replies. Yes I did enter my user name but somewhere I read that at least some, if not all of the presets are not for express. I will update after a little more study. I'm on Win 7.

That is quite likely I think. It would not surprise me if quite a few of the presets use features that are only available as part of the Pro version.

If you are able to run the software as a trial (I.E. if you have not already run the release as a 30 trial previously) you could start it up in Pro mode and check for differences. No download is required to change from Express to Pro and back.

Main differences are noted in the on-line help pages alongside the features being described but you would need to read them in some detail to get all of them.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Pareshk » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:27 pm

Thank you al! I did find the app- data...will wait until I upgrade to try loading presets.

Still, the quick start says: If you have yet to make a new Catalog, go to File>New Catalog. But there's no option to do that - only to import a catalog from either Lightroom or Media Pro...I don't have either. This is the only thing that keeps me from upgrading - I need to understand file management better.
Paresh
Sony Rx 100 camera
Win 7
Pareshk

Postby HansB » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:06 am

CO Express only allows a single catalog.
If there isn't one, you'll be prompted to create it or browse for it while loading.
One of the Express limitations.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby Pareshk » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:01 pm

Thank you Hans. All I can do is import images from my hard drive. Maybe that's all I need?? So far there's no prompt to create a folder except to import a catalog from either Lightroom or Media Pro...& I don't have either.

I don't know why this is so hard for me to understand...the same for Lightroom.is there a link or post that would help? I'm slowly going through tutorials but haven't figured this out yet. Thanks everyone for hanging in there with me!!
Paresh
Sony Rx 100 camera
Win 7
Pareshk

Postby HansB » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:46 am

NN636090515443321334UL wrote:...
All I can do is import images from my hard drive. Maybe that's all I need??

If you can import in CO, you already have a catalog. That's all you have in CO Express. And it's all you need.
Import some images, and then organize them within your catalog. You'll see.

When you move or delete the catalog on your disk, you will be prompted to create a new one or browse for the existing one. (Don't delete a catalog with images you want to keep!)

The Express version is feature-limited. Single catalog, no sessions, and a number of missing workflow-, adjustment- and editing tools. Things I use every day I use CO.

I'm not an Express or Sony user, and I cannot say much about the limitations of this version in detail. I don't know if there are other limitations within this catalog, like managed or referenced use, creation of folders, albums, and so on. Maybe somebody else can post some details here.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby John Doe » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:00 am

Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby Pareshk » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:37 pm

very helpful...thank you both!! their quick start seems a little misleading. I will learn by doing (+ occasional forum help!)
Paresh
Sony Rx 100 camera
Win 7
Pareshk

Return to Capture One 9.x Software