Watermarks. Again

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Watermarks. Again

Postby Focuspuller » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:43 am

OK. Never having gotten an answer as to why watermarks are applied to ALL images in ALL folders, before any Process is activated, I have another watermatk issue.

For some reason, an image processed with a watermark, destination Output Folder, exports from there WITHOUT the waterrmark. How can this happen? I have successfully exported watermarked images in the past and now cannot seem to export a watermarked image with the watermark. What am I missing?

And I STILL would like to know why watermarks apply to all images everywhere without ANY Process initiated.

Appreciate any help.

-Alan D
Focuspuller

Re: Watermarks. Again

Postby John Doe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:41 am

Focuspuller wrote:OK. Never having gotten an answer as to why watermarks are applied to ALL images in ALL folders, before any Process is activated, I have another watermatk issue.

You did get an answer, IIRC. It's not /applied/ : what you see is what your pictures /will look like/ if or when you process them. Simply disable the watermark and everything is back to "normal", CO never ever modifies your originals.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby Focuspuller » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:08 am

Sorry but maybe you are not understanding my issue, which is: What is the logic of a global application of a watermark in a Tab where nothing else happens unless Process is activated on selected images? Why should every single image in a Session be affected by what I want to see in selected images? What if I need a different watermark, placed differently, in many images? What am I missing?

Best,

-Alan D
Focuspuller

Postby John Doe » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:53 am

Then you create another process recipe and select it instead of the currently active one.
Sony DSC-RX100 - Capture One Pro 10.2.1 (macOS Sierra 10.12.6)
THIS IS A USER TO USER FORUM. FOR FEATURE REQUESTS AND BUG REPORTS, FILE A SUPPORT CASE AT https://www.phaseone.com/SupportMain.aspx
John Doe

Postby Keith Reeder » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:15 am

Focuspuller wrote: What is the logic of a global application of a watermark in a Tab where nothing else happens unless Process is activated on selected images?

Lightroom is exactly the same - if you set up a watermark, it applies at export/process to every file unless you deactivate or change it for files you want handled differently.

Perfectly reasonable for software developers to assume that if you set up a watermark/signature, you're likely to want that as the default output.
Why should every single image in a Session be affected by what I want to see in selected images?

How is Capture One supposed to know which "selected images" you want to see the watermark on, unless you take some sort of action to tell it?
What if I need a different watermark, placed differently, in many images? What am I missing?

What John said.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby SFA » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:58 pm

Alan,

In the recipe set the opacity to 0.

No watermark will appear on your screen.

When you are ready to use the recipe with watermark, select the images you want and change the opacity so that display presents to you how they will look.

Remember this is only a display thing to help you see what the WM would look like. Nothing is changed in the edit files. It's just a form of overlay.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Focuspuller » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:03 pm

Grant, and others,

Thanks for replying. Here is what confuses me still:

In my Selects folder I select an Original Raw image to Process with a recipe which includes a watermark, placing it in a particular place and opacity and color for THAT image and hit Process, and that image, now a watermarked jpeg in the Output folder, in my mind should be no longer affected by anything I do in the future with the Recipe I just used. If I use the same recipe and tweak the watermark for a different image, back in the Selects folder, WHY should my previously processed images in the Output folder (or everywhere elese, for that matter) now show the tweaked watermark meant for a different image? Makes no intuitive sense to me. Output folder images should be immune from any changes unless they are selected again, shouldn't they?

-Alan D
Focuspuller

Postby SFA » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:54 pm

Focuspuller wrote:Grant, and others,

Thanks for replying. Here is what confuses me still:

In my Selects folder I select an Original Raw image to Process with a recipe which includes a watermark, placing it in a particular place and opacity and color for THAT image and hit Process, and that image, now a watermarked jpeg in the Output folder, in my mind should be no longer affected by anything I do in the future with the Recipe I just used. If I use the same recipe and tweak the watermark for a different image, back in the Selects folder, WHY should my previously processed images in the Output folder (or everywhere elese, for that matter) now show the tweaked watermark meant for a different image? Makes no intuitive sense to me. Output folder images should be immune from any changes unless they are selected again, shouldn't they?

-Alan D

If you are looking at your output images through C1 and currently defaulting the viewer to use the "Selected Recipe" AND that recipe has an active and visible Watermark then it will be overlaid on all of the images viewed (and C1 will consider your previously output file as a "new" original - it has no way of knowing that you do not want to edit it further.)

So, either change the application you use to view the Output files OR change the Recipe (edit) to suppress the Watermark.

Or use a different recipe without a watermark or - possibly better depending on what purpose you had for the output file complete with watermark - set "No Prof Profile" in the "View (menu) > Set Proof Profile" option.

Creating an output file with a watermark strongly suggests that is is either a file prepared for printing or for some sort of display - perhaps via the internet or a projector. It's not something you would usually continue to edit in a RAW conversion and edit application like C1.

So normally I would expect to view the output in an image viewer or browser or after printing.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Focuspuller » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:03 am

Thanks, Garth,

I have opened a support issue and the recommendation was to avoid EXPORT altogether and use a recipe in the Output tool for exporting any time I want to share watermarked images. I just don't see why I can't have jpegs in the Output folder with watermarks baked in. Nothing else in the Output folder changes with various recipes selected in the Output tool. Clearly the "Output folder" is for output; printing, posting, emailing, whatever, NOT for further processing. Why I can't have versions of my selected images already processed in the Output folder ready to go depending on the ultimate destination just because there might be watermarks escapes me. But I think I get the Capture One "way" and will proceed accordingly.

Thanks again,

-Alan D
Focuspuller

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:11 am

Focuspuller wrote:Thanks, Garth,

I have opened a support issue and the recommendation was to avoid EXPORT altogether and use a recipe in the Output tool for exporting any time I want to share watermarked images. I just don't see why I can't have jpegs in the Output folder with watermarks baked in. Nothing else in the Output folder changes with various recipes selected in the Output tool. Clearly the "Output folder" is for output; printing, posting, emailing, whatever, NOT for further processing. Why I can't have versions of my selected images already processed in the Output folder ready to go depending on the ultimate destination just because there might be watermarks escapes me. But I think I get the Capture One "way" and will proceed accordingly.

Thanks again,

-Alan D

???

You can have you jpgs prepared with watermarks ready to print in whatever folder you wish.

I don't understand how that relates to the original post that describes the problem.

However I agree with the suggestion to use Recipes and Process rather than Export. Much clearer control.

Grant
SFA

Postby NN635299624516976000UL » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Keith Reeder wrote:
Focuspuller wrote: What is the logic of a global application of a watermark in a Tab where nothing else happens unless Process is activated on selected images?

Lightroom is exactly the same - if you set up a watermark, it applies at export/process to every file unless you deactivate or change it for files you want handled differently.

That's wrong. LR never shows you the images with watermark. They are only applied at export time and you have to check the mark to activate it (if you haven't already as a preset). In CO having watermark set the watermarks are shown on all images which slows CO down massivly in addition. This behaviour is .... I don't know what developer where thinking.
NN635299624516976000UL

Postby SFA » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:32 pm

NN635299624516976000UL wrote:
Keith Reeder wrote:

That's wrong. LR never shows you the images with watermark. They are only applied at export time and you have to check the mark to activate it (if you haven't already as a preset). In CO having watermark set the watermarks are shown on all images which slows CO down massivly in addition. This behaviour is .... I don't know what developer where thinking.

I have not noticed any particular difference in processing speed with or without a watermark.

No doubt there can be an effect but "massive" it certainly is not, at lest in my experience. Different types of watermarks?

Grant
SFA

Return to Capture One 9.x Software