Color shift from C1 pro to Photoshop?

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Color shift from C1 pro to Photoshop?

Postby Lodewijk Duijvesteijn » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:11 am

Hey Folks,

We're having a problem and we can't seem to find an answer in the forums or the C1 documentation. When i process an image from C1 9 and open the file in Photoshop on our mac pro / Sierra, there is a shift in contrast and color.

I'm watching the images on the same calibrated screen, using the same color profile..anyone had this problem before? There is quite a distinct shift in color and contrast, it's easily noticeable.

Any info is very welcome, thanks!
Lodewijk Duijvesteijn

Re: Color shift from C1 pro to Photoshop?

Postby tenmangu81 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:26 pm

Hi,

It depends upon what you are doing. If you "open with", Photoshop will open your file using ACR (Adobe Camera Raw), which is a derawtiser by itself. As the engine is different, you'll obtain a different result.
On the contrary, if you "edit with...", Capture One will open a window and ask you what type of variant you want to create, and it will create a new variant (with your adjustments and colors), which will be opened in the software you choose, but not as a RAW (usually as a tiff). It means that the RAW conversion will have been done with Capture One, and you will keep your colors.
tenmangu81

Postby Lodewijk Duijvesteijn » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Hello there, thanks for your reply. Indeed the raw conversion has been done in Capture one. I convert the IIQ file to a Tiff file, in adobe RGB.

If i then open this Tiff file in Photoshop and i look at the same image still opened in myCapture one viewer, there is a big difference. Same calibrated screen, same color profile, yet there is not a 100% match between the color/contrast i created in Capture one and the resulting Tiff file opened in photoshop. Somewhere there is a shift in color and contrast, be it perceptual or otherwise.

I've spent some time googling this problem, i haven't found a clear answer yet alas.
Lodewijk Duijvesteijn

Postby SFA » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:34 am

Your description sounds like some form of double profiling of the image but I can't help with suggestions about where, why and how that might happen.

And I could very well be wrong of course.

Grant
SFA

Postby Grant Kernan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:54 pm

Did you have this issue prior to upgrading your OS?

I copy paintings for a living where absolute colour matching is imperative. Therefore, I make my own profiles.

I have learned to not only apply the profile but to embed the profile using the settings in the output recipe. Try selecting "Open with none" to make sure that something isn't going on in a PS setting.
I can open in PS using the embedded profile and view in CO using the same profile. They match.

When I later convert to Adobe RGB 1998 in PS, they still match.
Grant
Grant Kernan

Postby Lodewijk Duijvesteijn » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:09 pm

Hey Grant,

thanks for your reply. I use all the steps you recommend, and have doublechecked. Still the same problem. However..i do not think i had this problem before upgrading. I upgraded to Mac os Sierra and to C1 9.3.0.69

Perhaps the problem is caused by these upgrades.
Lodewijk Duijvesteijn

Postby JUK » Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:25 pm

First, Verify problem comparing at 100% magnification. This is usually a product of two different preview systems – Capture One scales from Raw direct to Zoom level. If it is still different, turn off OpenGL in Photoshop performance preferences.

Check the Proof Profile in Capture One – it must match output profile

Check that Photoshop is not soft proofing or assigning a new profile

There is also a slight difference in the color engine as well. This can usually be seen in darkest shadows.

Otherwise, please make a support case at http://support.phaseone.com
Kind regards,

Justin
Team Phase One Support

Please make a support case for technical support with Capture One software:
Http://support.phaseone.com and click on "Contact Support"

Connect with Phase One on our social media channels.
JUK
Crew
Crew

Postby Lodewijk Duijvesteijn » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Hey Justin,

Thanks for taking the time to check in on this discussion. I'll check all your suggestions and i'll get back to you.

Regards,
Lodewijk Duijvesteijn

Return to Capture One 9.x Software