Change Camera Capture Time

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Change Camera Capture Time

Postby NN636083863020929153UL » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:19 am

I am a wedding photographer and I have recently switched over from Lightroom to Capture One. I often edit a wedding with three different cameras and I really need to be able to change the capture time of a second shooters camera to match my cameras. I used to do this in Lightroom and I have found a way to easily do it in Photo Mechanic. However for some reason the capture time changes in Photo Mechanic DO NOT transfer properly to Capture One which really slows down my workflow. I have tried to find a solution to this and have failed. I would appreciate any help anyone can provide.
NN636083863020929153UL

Re: Change Camera Capture Time

Postby tenmangu81 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:19 am

Capture One can't change the capture time, as it is a real EXIF data. It is not in their philosophy, and I can understand that, as modifying EXIF metadata could open the door to many misuses.
But I have had a similar problem with scanned negatives for which I knew approximately the capture time (at least the day or month and year...), and Capture One displayed only the date of creation (i.e. scanning). I have used Exif Tool (© Phil Harvey) with success. It is a free tool, but you have to go through the terminal to change capture times.
An other solution (not very expensive) is Exif Editor, which is a GUI to do it. You'll find it on the Apple Store.
tenmangu81

Postby OddS » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:37 am

NN636083863020929153UL wrote:...for some reason the capture time changes in Photo Mechanic DO NOT transfer properly to Capture One

Could you please be a bit more specific with respect to "do not transfer properly"? Does C1 not at all reflect capture time changes made in PM? Or does C1 not handle a transferred capture time value the way you want C1 to handle it?
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby Jim_DK » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:40 pm

Capture One is a read only "parametric editor" - it never adjusts file data or structure.... but... Media Pro and Media Pro SE have a Capture date editor under the Action menu and can do batches. Bonus marks for different modes too: replace, relative (considering the selection) and time difference - with the added bonus of a UI to make it easy(ier).

Maybe that helps you?
James
Phase One DK
Jim_DK
Crew
Crew

Postby peter.f » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:43 pm

Jim_DK wrote:Maybe that helps you?

You mean we have to pay €189 + VAT to be able to change the capture time? Wow!

Peter.
X-T1, X100S; MBP 15" 2010, 8GB, OSX 10.11.4; Catalog on SSD, ref'd images on external USB2.
peter.f

Postby OddS » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:12 pm

peter.f wrote:...we have to pay €189 + VAT to be able to change the capture time?

Principles have a price :-)

I tend to think that changing capture time in the image file using Media Pro would not work any better or worse than changing capture time using some other tool. James (Jim_DK) can probably explain the rationale here.

Thing is that I can change capture time in Photo Mechanic and see the effect in C1 Pro metadata, and I also see the effect when sorting images on date in C1 Pro before and after changing capture time in Photo Mechanic. It never fails. I am curious about the real issue here and hope the OP returns with more details.

I do use a Windows 10 PC rather than a Mac, but I don't expect that to be significant.
--
Odd S.
OddS

Postby BillBooth » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:47 pm

Not trying to be a smart-ass here, but if Capture time is really important, take a minute to synchronize the time in your various camera bodies before you embark on a multi-body shoot. (or am I missing something?)
BillBoothPhoto
BillBooth

Postby peter.f » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:20 pm

BillBooth wrote:Not trying to be a smart-ass here, but if Capture time is really important, take a minute to synchronize the time in your various camera bodies before you embark on a multi-body shoot. (or am I missing something?)

You're absolutely right. But... I'm not always in control of the camera's; sometimes I get pictures from different people that even don't know each other (e.g., event shots from visitors). In those cases, it's impossible to tell them to get together and sync their cameras :-)

And yes, I sometimes forget it myself (blush).

Anyway, it seems to be a common use case, and most software can adjust it (after all, it's just meta-data in the catalog). So I do think that it is a reasonable thing to ask.

Cheers,
Peter.
X-T1, X100S; MBP 15" 2010, 8GB, OSX 10.11.4; Catalog on SSD, ref'd images on external USB2.
peter.f

Postby BillBooth » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:35 pm

Peter,
Well, it looks like I did miss something. So obviously, you will have to better train your surrogates, some of whom you have never met!!
I did take a peek in the database, but not knowing the internal links, attacking the metadata directly would be a real mugs game.
Good shooting.
BillBoothPhoto
BillBooth

Postby dancar09 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:32 am

Hey Peter,

Did you ever find a way to make this work. I have the exact same issues for weddings and have tried using PhotoMechanic to do the time shift. Which seems to work in there perfectly and images are all lined up.

In Capture One it doesn't seem to read those new times and are still out of sync.

Cheers
dancar09

Return to Capture One 9.x Software