Very slow when making adjustments...

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Re: Very slow when making adjustments...

Postby alececco » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:34 pm

mikebeecham wrote:OK...so I've discovered what is causing such a lag when making adjustments, and it's all to do with the Manufacturer's profile within Lens Correction.

When I set it to 'Generic', everything works really quickly. Mask on, brushing, and Capture One is really really quick. The moment I put it back to Manufacturer Profile, it slows right down again.

Ordinarily I wouldn't mind, but since Fuji bake their distortion settings into the raw file, turning the profile to 'Generic' means that I get really bad barrelling on the image.

Not sure if anyone has experienced this, but if so do you have any pearls of wisdom which will help?

Thanks

There are many factors that slow down C1 to the point of crawling. Sometimes is the lens profile, other times ( often) is a style you added. From what I understand there are still parts of the code that do not take advantage of CL and so if a profile or a style uses them, the whole program slows down. Perhaps some one from PO might want to comment on this... :lol: yea right. Learn how to live with it
alececco
alececco

Postby mikebeecham » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:10 pm

alececco wrote:
mikebeecham wrote:OK...so I've discovered what is causing such a lag when making adjustments, and it's all to do with the Manufacturer's profile within Lens Correction.

When I set it to 'Generic', everything works really quickly. Mask on, brushing, and Capture One is really really quick. The moment I put it back to Manufacturer Profile, it slows right down again.

Ordinarily I wouldn't mind, but since Fuji bake their distortion settings into the raw file, turning the profile to 'Generic' means that I get really bad barrelling on the image.

Not sure if anyone has experienced this, but if so do you have any pearls of wisdom which will help?

Thanks

There are many factors that slow down C1 to the point of crawling. Sometimes is the lens profile, other times ( often) is a style you added. From what I understand there are still parts of the code that do not take advantage of CL and so if a profile or a style uses them, the whole program slows down. Perhaps some one from PO might want to comment on this... :lol: yea right. Learn how to live with it

Well, one thing I can't do is learn to live with it. We're talking significant slowdown. Not just a minor decrease in speed, but a slowdown which results in a long period of waiting for Capture One to 'catch up' with what I'm doing. For the price you pay for the software, that kind of waiting around is simply unacceptable, With regards to the different factors affecting performance...I totally agree with you. In my case, however, it's the lens profile setting that is causing my slowdown.

Cheers
mikebeecham

Postby SFA » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:46 pm

alececco wrote:

Thanks

OpenCL is not a "fix" for everything to do with speed.

If allows the potential for load sharing where parallel processing is both viable and will, on balance, benefit from the extra work involved with splitting processed apart, processing and then putting them back together again.

Not all process will benefit form attempted parallel processing even if we can assume that all implementations of OpenCL are equal in the third party hardware and software areas.

Grant
SFA

Postby mikebeecham » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:17 pm

OK, so I have more information regarding the slowness of making adjustments.

When I take photos using my Fuji X100, everything works as normal. When I use my Fuji X-T1, either coupled with my 35mm F2 or 27mm F2.8 lens, I noticed the slowdown.

Is there an issue with the profile of the camera here, or the lenses? The lens is a fixed lens on the X100, so seems to be classed as maybe a 'Generic Fuji Profile'?

Not sure...I wonder if there is anyone from PhaseOne around the forums who might be able to comment on this, or shed light on the issue?
mikebeecham

Postby Christian Gruner » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:36 am

mikebeecham wrote:OK, so I have more information regarding the slowness of making adjustments.

When I take photos using my Fuji X100, everything works as normal. When I use my Fuji X-T1, either coupled with my 35mm F2 or 27mm F2.8 lens, I noticed the slowdown.

Is there an issue with the profile of the camera here, or the lenses? The lens is a fixed lens on the X100, so seems to be classed as maybe a 'Generic Fuji Profile'?

Not sure...I wonder if there is anyone from PhaseOne around the forums who might be able to comment on this, or shed light on the issue?

There is a very logical explanation for this:
X100 is Bayer-based, thus it can use OpenCL
X-T1 is Xtrans-based, which cannot use OpenCL. That makes it slower to adjust and process, as it then uses the CPU instead.
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby mikebeecham » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:25 pm

Thanks for the update...

So, even more curious, I've just bought the new Fuji 23mm F2 lens and, from what I can see, I don't have the same issues with local adjustments that I do on the 35mm F2..or at least it's definitely not as bad. Could there be an issue with the lens profile in Capture One perhaps?
mikebeecham

Postby pjshutterbug » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:25 pm

FWIW, I have the same problem. With an initial adjustment layer edit on a RAW file, there's a brief lag, which I can live with. However, if I 'edit with' in Photoshop and then save and return to CO and attempt to make another adjustment layer edit, the delay is to the point where I no longer bother with it. All my adjustment layer edits have to be and are done on the original RAW file/variant, or not at all.

Hopefully, the next iteration will have a more robust process engine.
pjshutterbug

Previous

Return to Capture One 9.x Software