Very slow when making adjustments...

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Very slow when making adjustments...

Postby mikebeecham » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:57 pm

Hey guys,

So I know there are a number of threads about CO9 running slow, but I wanted to add my experience in also, in case someone has some ideas..

I've noticed recently (I can't tell when it started though!), that Capture One iPro 9 is running really really slowly when I'm making local adjustments to an image. I tend to put the mask on, so i can see where I'm 'painting'. I can drag my brush along the image, then wait anything between 5-15 seconds for the mask to catch up before I can do anything else. I can't even toggle off the brush until it's finished its last action.

I've tried a number of things:

Checked that OpenCL was enabled for both options
Checked that my preview size matched the screen size
Removed Filters tool (I read on the forums this could be causing the issue!)
Removed non-essential tools from each section, just in case
Created a new catalog with one image in

None of that made any difference. I did try the same image in Lightroom, to see if the issue was Capture One, or my Mac, but LR was absolutely fine, so something is definitely going on with Capture One.

Does anyone have any wisdom on this? Thanks in advance.
mikebeecham

Re: Very slow when making adjustments...

Postby Christian Gruner » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:58 pm

What machine are you running CO on ?
Test-Manager, Capture One, Phase One A/S
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby mikebeecham » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:27 pm

I'm using a mid-2014 MacBook Pro - 2.2gz Core i7, with 16GB DDR3 Ram. Really, I wonder if it's something to do with the latest update, as previous versions *seem* to have been better, and everything is fine with Lightroom
mikebeecham

Postby HansB » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:56 pm

I've seen it through several versions of CO on a mid2009 MBP 2.8GHz DualCore 8GB and a mid2014 MBPr 2.8GHz i7 16GB. It occurs randomly, every once in a while, and is not reproducible.

CO is drawing the mask circle by circle onto the screen, slowly walking the path the cursor went. It can take 15 to 20 seconds on long walks. And the very next day, CO flies drawing the mask.

No idea how to get into that mode, or out of it without restarting.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby mikebeecham » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:03 pm

I also wonder whether Capture One should be using so much memory at 3.36GB / 1.84GB Compressed? Seems high to me?
mikebeecham

Postby Christian Gruner » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:21 am

HansB wrote:I've seen it through several versions of CO on a mid2009 MBP 2.8GHz DualCore 8GB and a mid2014 MBPr 2.8GHz i7 16GB. It occurs randomly, every once in a while, and is not reproducible.

CO is drawing the mask circle by circle onto the screen, slowly walking the path the cursor went. It can take 15 to 20 seconds on long walks. And the very next day, CO flies drawing the mask.

Regards,
Hans

Please contact Support. 20 seconds is obviously way too long for mask drawing.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Christian Gruner » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:22 am

mikebeecham wrote:I also wonder whether Capture One should be using so much memory at 3.36GB / 1.84GB Compressed? Seems high to me?

That is a perfectly normal usage-level.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby HansB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:17 am

Christian Gruner wrote:
HansB wrote:I've seen it through several versions of CO on a mid2009 MBP 2.8GHz DualCore 8GB and a mid2014 MBPr 2.8GHz i7 16GB. It occurs randomly, every once in a while, and is not reproducible.

Regards,
Hans

Please contact Support. 20 seconds is obviously way too long for mask drawing.

Thanks, Christian. I will do so.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby mikebeecham » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Christian,

When that gets figured out for you, would you mind posting what you found to be the cause. Mine isn't 15-20 seconds, but still unacceptably slow. I didn't use to be this way...
mikebeecham

Postby HansB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:19 pm

I filed a support case for slow mask drawing today. I'm still looking for a way to reproduce it, and I'll provide a screen recording next time it happens.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby Nature Isme » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:39 pm

Hans,

I have this problem consistently with some images (EOS 5DSR RAW) when I'm drawing complex masks. Simple ones are fine, but when I try to follow intricate shapes, C1 9.2.1 seems to freeze and (via iStat Menus) I see that there's a lot of CPU activity and an incredibly HUGE amount of disk activity. Page/swap stuff? This happens on 2 Macs running 10.11.6. One (Mac Pro has 32 GB of RAM and the other (MacBook Pro) has 16 GB. Capture One's hardly using any RAM on either of these, which really surprises me. C1 doesn't seem to make very good use of available memory, but it sure is hitting my SSDs up hard.
Nature Isme

Postby HansB » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Hi Nature Isme,

I have this problem just every once in a while, with 10MPix 1Dm3 as well as with 18MPix 1DX images, and even when just masking an almost straight horizon on a sunset image. Removing the layer, drawing again, same problem, over and over. After restarting, same image, same mask (as good as I can draw it), and no problem. I can't imagine why. Usually only Finder and CO are open.

I don't remember seeing anything special in iStat, but I'll check that again the next time it happens.

Memory usage has improved with CO-9. It now allocates memory dynamically with the images viewed. But I'd say it could still be smarter in releasing and reusing memory. For example, CO's memory footprint (with currently no session open) still grows and grows when opening and closing sessions sequentially.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby peter.f » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:51 pm

Long shot...

I've had this as well some time ago, very badly, and I found a very odd scenario in which it occured.

I had a number of images in a catalog from the same shoot and some were OK to handle, others would send the CPU through the roof. It turned out that the 'heavy' images were the ones on which I painted the adjustment layers masks with an old Wacom Bamboo tablet; they also had some cropping (almost every image was cropped). On those images, when moving the mouse over the image, C1 showed a spinner where normally the RGB readout is. Oddly enough, when I selected the crop tool, the CPU went back to 0; but selecting the pointer made the CPU go up to 100 again. I then cleared the cropping, and everything went back to normal. I redid the crops, and from then it stayed normal.

Oddly enough, many images in the same catalog, also cropped, did not have this problem. Those images had their mask painted on with the mouse.

I must say that I wasn't able to get into a similar state thereafter. I tried every combination of layers, cropping before and after,. etc, but C1 kept on behaving OK. Sometimes a bit sluggish, but never like that again. All this was on a Macbook Pro mid 2010.

Give it a shot, try resetting the crop and maybe, who knows, the image is 'repaired'...

Cheers,
Peter.

P.S. I did report this in March 2016.
X-T1, X100S; MBP 15" 2010, 8GB, OSX 10.11.4; Catalog on SSD, ref'd images on external USB2.
peter.f

Postby mikebeecham » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:52 am

i hope they get this sorted soon. At this point, I'd much rather take the lesser RAW capability of Lightroom, and be able to make adjustments, than stick with Capture One and spend more time trying to get it work correctly.
mikebeecham

Postby mikebeecham » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:17 pm

OK...so I've discovered what is causing such a lag when making adjustments, and it's all to do with the Manufacturer's profile within Lens Correction.

When I set it to 'Generic', everything works really quickly. Mask on, brushing, and Capture One is really really quick. The moment I put it back to Manufacturer Profile, it slows right down again.

Ordinarily I wouldn't mind, but since Fuji bake their distortion settings into the raw file, turning the profile to 'Generic' means that I get really bad barrelling on the image.

Not sure if anyone has experienced this, but if so do you have any pearls of wisdom which will help?

Thanks
mikebeecham

Next

Return to Capture One 9.x Software