Yellowish Preview Picture

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Yellowish Preview Picture

Postby NN635763638525940093UL » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi guys,

I am using Capture One Pro (for Sony) on the latest version and got some issues regarding the color representation.
Even if I enhance the brights such that they end up with being 255 255 255, the picture keeps having a yellowish look in the preview picture. I chose the same proof profile as for the export but the pictures differ quite alot in preview and export, which is absolutely annoying.

Can you help me fixing this? I tried all rendering intents without success.

Cheers,
Dominik
NN635763638525940093UL

Re: Yellowish Preview Picture

Postby HansB » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:38 am

Let's start with some questions.

Is your monitor (freshly) calibrated and the correct profile in use?
Is it in browser thumbs and viewer?
What's your proof profile?
Is it only in CO, that there are no clear whites?

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby NN635763638525940093UL » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your reply!
No, my monitor was not recently calibrated, but the exported pictures (jpg) are much whiter than the viewer in CO.
It is the viewer, not the thumbnails. But now that you ask I realised it is wrong for both.
The proof profile / ICC profile used for export is sRGB IEC61966-2.1.
Yes, it is only CO - they exported pictures look fine. I took a screenshot and compared it to the exported image and they differe massively!

Thanks for any help!
Dominik
NN635763638525940093UL

Postby HansB » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:58 pm

I've run out of ideas for now.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby NN635763638525940093UL » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:13 pm

This is bugging me very much, especially since it happens to be the same on my desktop PC and my notebook. I will quickly upload two examples:

One is a screenshot from the preview, the otherone is the exported picture. It was exported using the sRGB profile which is also set under view -> proof profile.

I can not imagine nobody else is facing this problem as I am using quite comming equipment (Sony a6000, Windows 10 on usual hardware).
NN635763638525940093UL

Postby NN635763638525940093UL » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:57 am

I am not entirely sure where this problem comes from, but currently I presume the following situation causes the troubles (please feel free to correct me, as I have no real clue about ICC profiles).
When editing photos in C1, the Proof profiles selector seems to transform the image from the current profile to the newly selected ones, using an algorithm associated to the settings in Preferences -> Color -> Transform -> Rendering Intent.
When I leave the proof profile to sRGB, open the image with rightclick -> edit with in Affinity and in Affinity I change the profile to Samsung Natural Color Pro (got a Samsung monitor) then it looks perfectly fine. Affinity does, by changing the profile, not transform the image but just changes the way of interpretation.
If on the other side I change to Samsung Natural Color Pro in C1 already, it seems to transform the yellowish image to the new profile making it looking pretty bad again.

The same situation occurs with using Nik Filters btw.

Is there a possibility to tell C1 to use a different profile without transforming the image? Why is C1 using sRGB in the first place and, even more importantly, why does this make the pictures yellowish? My A6000 is using sRGB as well if I am not mistaken.
NN635763638525940093UL

Postby ben_US » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:59 am

Capture One is using sRGB as it's what is set in the Proof Profile.
Let's break it down a bit more-
The preview you're seeing on screen is a graphic representation of what Capture One will output given the parameters you've set on the file (input ICC profile, any adjustments/LCC/etc, and the proof profile). The Proof Profile is just a visual representation of what the output file will look like, not actively changing your file. On that same note, Capture One is a read-only application in that it'll never actively change your original file.

I suggest toggling OpenCL to Never for Processing (under Preferences > General) and restarting Capture One to commit the change. It's unlikely this is the issue since Nik is behaving the same however it's worth a shot. If that doesn't resolve it, please send us a support case at the link below with the output JPG and an EIP of the file (you can generate an EIP via File > Export > Originals, check Pack as EIP).
Please make a support case for Technical Support with Capture One software:
http://support.phaseone.com and click on Contact Support, then select Technical Support.
ben_US
Crew
Crew

Return to Capture One 9.x Software