Pentax K1 pixelshift support

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Pentax K1 pixelshift support

Postby Hybrid » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:23 am

I have red several seemingly contradicting reports about the Pentax K1 pixelshift support in Capture One 9.2
For example the release notes state that pixelshift is not supported but here the author actually does get the pixelshift to work with C1 when using DNG. Pixelshift must have been applied since the image looks sharper than without pixelshift, although the result was not as good as in Lightroom or SilkyPix.

So to clear things up once at for all for everyone, I'd like to ask:

1. What actually happens in C1 when I open a RAW file that has pixelshift data. Will it open? How does it extract an image from the RAW? Will it be better or worse than a RAW without pixelshift data?

2. Is it true that when using DNG, we can actually get the pixelshift data applied and used in C1?

3. How likely is it that C1 will support pixelshift in the future? It doesn't look too likely to me, it seems that C1 does not support any pixelshift technology from any camera that is currently on the market.

4. Could you suggest a workflow (maybe using additional software like SilkyPix) that lets me edit the RAW files in C1 and also apply pixelshift, including pixelshift with movement correction which the Pentax K1 has.
Hybrid

Re: Pentax K1 pixelshift support

Postby Class A » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Hybrid wrote:For example the release notes state that pixelshift is not supported but here the author actually does get the pixelshift to work with C1 when using DNG.

The image "with PS" most likely only looks sharper because different (default) sharping levels are used.

C1 sadly does not support PS for the K-1, so the improvement cannot come from actually considering the data from all four PS frames.

Hybrid wrote:4. Could you suggest a workflow (maybe using additional software like SilkyPix) that lets me edit the RAW files in C1 and also apply pixelshift, including pixelshift with movement correction which the Pentax K1 has.

Use dcrawps to (pre-)process a PS image into a single image with (linear) RAW data. You can then process the latter in Capture One.
Class A

Return to Capture One 9.x Software