Auto Select new frame on Web Version of Capture Pilot

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Auto Select new frame on Web Version of Capture Pilot

Postby DarylOrillaza » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:59 pm

Hey all—

Another little quirk I've noticed in my work flow—

The other day working on a really big stills campaign, I wanted to setup multiple viewing screens around the studio (to stop 40 people sitting over my shoulder at the computer)...

The iPad Capture Pilot app works a treat, but I wanted to set up a big monitor — like a video village on motion sets.
I thought to use the web stream of Capture Pilot on an iMac setup up in client area, so they could watch while they chat away amongst each other. Setup was way, sharing the local ip and all— but I discovered that as far as I could tell, there wasn't a way to Auto-select new captures (like the iPad app does)... and so, the images wouldn't auto select to latest frame. So unless someone was sitting there driving the computer, it wasn't going to work as a viewing monitor.

Is there a setting I'm missing here? Or is it not possible on the web stream version of Capture Pilot?
DarylOrillaza

Re: Auto Select new frame on Web Version of Capture Pilot

Postby DarylOrillaza » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:20 am

anyone??
DarylOrillaza

Postby PhaseoneUser55657 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:21 pm

I don't know if this would work.

But, connect an AppleTV to the monitor/TV, and then have the iPad mirror to the AppleTV.

Robert
PhaseoneUser55657

Postby zoemax » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:13 pm

DarylOrillaza wrote:anyone??

I do not know anything about Capture Pilot, but from the description ( and searching )...

from PhaseOne Site:
What is the Capture Pilot web function?
The web browser function offers an additional means of viewing and rating images for photographers or clients. This new function means anyone can access Capture Pilot as long as they have a web browser enabled device. This avoids the 'monitor huddle' of multiple people. It could also enable viewing of shooting sessions from remote locations, via the Internet.

More important: Alternatively, web mode can be used to rate images using any browser enabled device (e.g. Android)

https://captureintegration.com/capture-pilot-how-to-use-the-remote-server/ See bottom- Part 2 Instructing your Clients

This seems, well.. maybe technical if you have to 'show/explain' to many clients, BUT, if its somewhat easy, they could see/select their own pictures and not just what is being displayed at the time & if I'm reading correctly, rate them?

cheers
dan
zoemax

Postby Nicolas6 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:40 pm

@Daryl: I have the absolutely identical problem and request.

- One could use an external monitor over a tunderbolt cable (inconvenient)
- Capture Pilot is only available for iPad and iPhone (convenient, but screen too small)
- web interface is not showing the last shot, and one would have to manually forward to reach the latest (inconvenient)

I searched the web for hours, even thought of Airplay, nothing exists or is so slow and lagging it's not worth considering.
(like Teamviewer or similar, but way too slow...)

I contacted PhaseOne concerning Capture Pilot for OSX: no chance. I even considered using an iOS simulator.
I know this sounds desperate... but I am absolutely clueless and I am surprised that not more photographers don't enjoy having 10 people in their back...

If only the browser version would offer a bit more convenience... :?
Nicolas6

Postby John Victor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:07 am

Hello,

I am relatively new to the forum, I realize this post is over a year old however, it is the closest to the inquiries I have.

I am hoping @DarylOrillaza or someone from the thread can offer an update.

I am using Capture One 9.3 and like Daryl when I am running Capture Pilot “Web” (connected to a local network) viewing a tethered session on a web browser, I run into some frustrating concerns:

1. One annoying quirk is that if you let the thumbnails run in their default ascending order they tend to randomly go out of order (e.g. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 becomes 3, 4, 1, 2, 5.)

2. When you reload the page the images are now in descending order however, the next image will now appear next to the first image at the bottom of the page (very frustrating.)

3. Finally, if I select a thumbnail to view full size and continue with the tethered session the full size images don’t update. You have to go back to the thumbnails page to see the update, then select it to view full size. I thought for sure the images used to update, but perhaps I am confusing how the Capture Pilot app works on an iPad/iPhone.

Are these all inherent problems within Capture Pilot Web?

I am guessing this is just how Capture Pilot Web operates and there is nothing that can be done to address these concerns from within Capture Pilot.

I am just looking for reassurance that I am not a complete dope.

When in this situation I am using screen sharing more and more - I imagine it can be a little annoying to the client if they are in front of a 50” television and see me flipping though images however, provided the connection is solid, screen sharing has worked out well for me.
John Victor
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby DarylOrillaza » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 am

Nicolas6 wrote:@Daryl: I have the absolutely identical problem and request.

- One could use an external monitor over a tunderbolt cable (inconvenient)
- Capture Pilot is only available for iPad and iPhone (convenient, but screen too small)
- web interface is not showing the last shot, and one would have to manually forward to reach the latest (inconvenient)

I searched the web for hours, even thought of Airplay, nothing exists or is so slow and lagging it's not worth considering.
(like Teamviewer or similar, but way too slow...)

I contacted PhaseOne concerning Capture Pilot for OSX: no chance. I even considered using an iOS simulator.
I know this sounds desperate... but I am absolutely clueless and I am surprised that not more photographers don't enjoy having 10 people in their back...

If only the browser version would offer a bit more convenience... :?

Yeah totally.
The other day, was on another 'big' shoot, with 30+ crew. Issue on this job was while we needed a large 2nd monitor for client viewing, we were on location (NOT STUDIO), so best way was to set up a base for client to watch what we were shooting. Production were thoughtful enough to book in a 'video village tech' from the video/motion world on the job, who worked along side me to get a client monitor up. I guess this could just as easily be replicated inside in a studio environment.

WIRELESS HDMI Transmitter
We were shooting tethered to a MacBook Pro. Our Split Tech was able to provide a Teradek-style wireless HDMI Transmitter which plugged straight into my HDMI port on the MacBook. 50ft away, a receiver was plugged into a simple flatscreen-TV, and basically the client had a stable mirror of my monitor all day. This worked brilliantly in allowing everyone on set to have access to a screen, without crowding the tech with 20+ people behind a laptop.

A few downsides to this, even though this seems to be the best way I've seen to solve this issue:
1) Unlike Capture Pilot, the client can only see a full mirror of the monitor, and not full screen display of the shots (only).
Anything else I needed to do on the computer (backups, email, etc) came up on the screen for all the see as well.
(I wonder, if there's a way to solve this in studio, by running a fullscreen 2nd monitor, and feeding the wireless HDMI feed from that instead of the main screen computer?)

2) The resolution on the TV is a lot less than the MacBook computer. The TV scales down the image quite a bit. While this is fine for general viewing, it made any critical viewing (details) quite hard to see on this screen. ie. make up artist couldn't use it to check her work, you couldn't tell if focus was sharp or not on this monitor. Any tools on the screen were unrecognisable. (Wondering if a hi-res computer monitor was used instead, if the HDMI signal would transfer cleanly?... or does this only work because of the lower-res nature of TV's?)

3) Battery. The Teradek needed a V-lock battery to run, which made the entire unit quite large and bulky and heavy. Attached to the Digi Tech Seaport & tripod, this made the unit quite cumbersome to move. It also seemed to drain the laptop battery dramatically more (we ended up using 4 x Hyperjuice 150w/s batteries to power the laptop all day).

**It's occurred to me now, that while the Terradek is a good solution on location, a simple router and Apple TV device would more than suffice in a studio environment.
DarylOrillaza

Postby John Victor » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:20 pm

Hello @Daryl -

Regarding your “big shoot” - I have had three similar shoots recently, and I successfully used a portable router plus a WiFi extender router to screen share the tethered MacBook Pro to: a MacBook hard-lined via HDMI into a 50”+ TV (which was more than 50’ away through some thick walls and bendy corners without a problem), in addition to (1) other MacBook/monitor set up about 30’ feet away, and an additional iMac in the same room as us…plus of course in iPad (Capture Pilot) and second monitor that was hard-lined into the tethered monitor for the photographer.

One solution we used for not annoying the client was to ONLY share the image for approval, and not the entire process of building the shot, too many people with their input which delayed things a lot however, this of course depends on the client and relationship but, this helped as I could turn screen share off and output selects from a previous shot while they were reviewing the current shot.

I was using a second MacBook Pro for emails, plus across the network (and behind the scenes) to the tethered computer for labeling folders and such, and just basically fulfilling client requests to their files.

It required a bit of juggling however, the process makes sense to me and with my current knowledge seems like the best solution with the tools available. I am open to suggestion.

Regarding Apple TV, that may be a good solution in a close-knit studio environment however, I went with the advice of another tech that the Apple TV isn’t as reliable as the screen sharing option, plus it saved some $ using a built in function within the Macs.

I hope this helps a bit with your workflow.
John Victor
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 9.x Software