Feature Requests Please!

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Feature Requests Please!

Postby oliver11 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:01 pm

1) Why is there no option to Not Import Duplicates when adding images to a catalog. This is essential.
2) There also needs to be a shortcut key to View Original image after adjustments. I know you can create a version but why be forced to do this when you just want a quick look at how any adjustments are. I know you can right click on the reset button but both these seem very inefficient and time wasting. Aperture uses the 'M' key : click once to view original and again to revert to edited version.
3) To add the option to have 3 images on screen (side by side) and edit while selecting the middle frame (like Aperture does) so when you are editing images you see the before and after images either side while tagging middle one and moving forward or backwards via the arrow keys. A very quick way to edit rather than have to go though images one at a time. This is an area that CO Pro needs to develop to take over from Lightroom.
4) Develop a serious Mobile option to sync images offline for viewing / editing as in Lightroom mobile.
5) To be able to handle large referenced or managed catalogs without slowing down. Aperture and Lightroom (referenced) handle this well.
Capture One Pro is by far and away the best Raw processing software (Used it for 14 years)... just needs a few more serious options to be able to edit and export/sync to a mobile option. Lightroom is far ahead with this.

Any other ideas?
oliver11

Re: Feature Requests Please!

Postby harald_walker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:10 pm

This is a user to user forum. If you want Phase One to notice your feature requests, then create a support ticket.
harald_walker

Postby oliver11 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:04 pm

I have as well.... just wanted to see what other users thought......
oliver11

Postby SFA » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:44 pm

1) Is it really so difficult to manage this already?
2)It's a single keystroke to create an unedited variant - which is in effect the same thing. Plus using variants you can compare many versions at the same time. To may the OOC version is rarely of much interest.
3) I don't understand the description and how it differs from what one can already do.
4) In C1 terms I can't see that being much use unless the mobile device was just a terminal front end to an SaaS solution where the main processing resource was a remote server instance. Basic edits (Crop options, social media styles and preparation, etc.) might be viable. But why bother with that from a potentially massive RAW file?
5) No comment except that I don't use catalogues and I really don't see how they would fit with your item 4 given C1's current approach to processing.

Grant
SFA

Postby BobRockefeller » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:55 pm

Have asked for several via support request:

Allow stacking of images in the Library for all images in a collection, not just variants.

Allow for multiple source points to be selected on a healing adjustment layer.

The icon in the upper left of the first thumbnail in a stack shown in the browser and used to collapse/expand the stack does not always appear. If an album is being displayed, it does. If a project is being displayed, it does not.

Unlock metadata. If the image size is smaller than 900px on the smallest side, CO treats it as read-only.

With several images selected in the Library browser, and Edit All Selected Variants on, modifying metadata in the Metadata Tool does not modify the metadata in all selected images. I would expect to be able to select images and apply or edit metadata for them all at once
Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
http://www.bobrockefeller.com
Midway, GA
BobRockefeller

Postby Andriy.Okhrimets » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:28 pm

Bob, thank you. You are amazing. Pls keep us with updates from C1.

I suggest to follow Bob approach here open ticket, and post it to thread.
Andriy.Okhrimets
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby harald_walker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:34 pm

Some of my feature requests:

As a user I want to have automatic hot pixel detection and removal so that I can save time when editing images and don't deliver images to clients with hot pixels.

Add extended IPTC fields as meta-data edit fields. As a photographer I want to enter additional meta data for images like those that have been defined in the ITPC Extension.

As a user that is organizing images in the catalog I want to be able to see which images are part of an album in order to find those that need to be organized.
1) Add a smart album rule that allows me to filter in images that are in a certain album (project, folder) or in no album (project, folder).
2) When looking at the image info or image context menu, show in which albums (projects, folder) an image exist. From there allow the user to go to the album.
3) When selecting one or more images, add a context menu function to add them to an existing album.
harald_walker

Postby oliver11 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:33 pm

SFA wrote:1) Is it really so difficult to manage this already?

If you have a referenced catalog and add images to an existing folder structure when you import into the catalog you are shown all the images again. Why doesn't the software recognise the duplicates. Almost every other DAM software does.

2)It's a single keystroke to create an unedited variant - which is in effect the same thing. Plus using variants you can compare many versions at the same time. To may the OOC version is rarely of much interest.

Yes it's a single keystroke but the ability to view before and after without making a variant would be very useful. Why are you forced to make a variant then delete the variant..... a simple before / after key would be great.

3) I don't understand the description and how it differs from what one can already do.

To be able to edit and view 3 images horizontally and and only tag the centre image so you see the frame before and frame after...... a very quick way to edit. This has been implemented in Aperture since it was launched.

4) In C1 terms I can't see that being much use unless the mobile device was just a terminal front end to an SaaS solution where the main processing resource was a remote server instance. Basic edits (Crop options, social media styles and preparation, etc.) might be viable. But why bother with that from a potentially massive RAW file?

You would work form the High res previews.... which would then sync back any edits. How Lightroom Mobile works which is far ahead in terms of mobile editing. They also have a great system for Presenting a synced gallery form say an iPad Pro...great for clients!

5) No comment except that I don't use catalogues and I really don't see how they would fit with your item 4 given C1's current approach to processing.

I would like to be able to edit on my desktop and iPad...... and sync back any tags/ basic edits.....

Grant
oliver11

Postby BobRockefeller » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:29 pm

A couple more:

I would like to see a lens profile added for the Olympus M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 Pro lens with the M.Zuiko 1.4x teleconverter mounted.

Show the actual camera's focus points as an overlay to the image with the active focus point highlighted in some way. This Lightroom plug-in is an example: http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com. And Aperture used to have this as a built in feature.
Bob
-----
Robert J. Rockefeller
http://www.bobrockefeller.com
Midway, GA
BobRockefeller

Postby jjakucyk » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:09 am

Definitely agree that catalog optimization needs to be prioritized. An Aperture library with 40,000 photos opens in 8 seconds, but the same library imported into C1 takes 35 seconds to open. Smart folders and searches are instantaneous in Aperture, but can take many seconds with spinning beachballs in C1. This is with the catalog on an SSD and the image masters on a decently fast internal software RAID. If the library/catalog is on the spinning drive then it's marginally slower in Aperture, but agonizing in C1. I'm glad I already break out my catalogs on a per-year basis, but it's still pushing the limits of acceptable performance. PhaseOne needs to do some SQL optimization here, I think it'd help a lot.
jjakucyk

Postby BeO » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:20 am

I agree optimization is something P1 should do for the catalog.

1. But I have doubts C1 uses a lot a SQL, not even for filtering.

If I have "All images" in the browser and set a filter, i can see images vanish from the browser more or less one by one.
I take this as an indication that C1 does not execute the filter on the database but rather loads all "images" into memory as C++ object in a list, and then walk through this list one by one and evaluate the fitler criteria.
This is a different concept, and usually inferior than filtering on the database when it comes to performance.

2. Loading "All images" or any other large collection seems to verify if an image is online or offline.
And this also seems to be done on an image by image basis (or folder by folder basis and the images vs. available folders are verified image by image). It is slow when the NAS (or disk?) is mounted. It is much faster when the whole network (or disk?) is not availbale at all. Even if the NAS is OFF but the network is ON then it is slow.
Having the raw images on a network drive is not a good idea.

I don't have an idea how this can be improved other than not checking online status on collection loading, imho it would be sufficient to check online status when needed (for adjusting images or exporting).

3. What's also probably costly is the sheer amount of files C1 probably loads (I/O is costly).
For 4000 images I have 12.000 files in the folder "Cache" (a .cof, a .cop and a .cot file for each raw). If you have variants you have at least another .cot file (thumbnail) for each. I guess this is fair and can't be improved much.

4. Database content: A fresh catalog with 1 image imported and 2 variants, you'll find 6 records in several tables (in each of them) plus 1 record for each additional LA layer.
Wow, it seems that EACH LAYER has its own record for METADATA.

Maybe they prepare a future feature where each layer can have a keyword, and a contact sheet etc.? :?

I assume the C1 catalog is not a database catalog in the classical sense (and "normalization" and "proper" database design for an agile growing application is a beast:-). It is used to store some data for the C++ object oriented application.

And a lot of file I/O based operations have to be done due to the nature of the application (being an application to acutally show the content of files (thumbnails) to the user, not only listing a table of image attritutes).

However, other DAMs like Aperture / LR seem to have better catalog performance, that is probably due to the origins of C1 (smaller sessions instead of big catalogs) and therefore legacy code and concepts.

If not a full revamp of the code and basic concepts, P1 could at least do some optimizations here and there (conceptually).
BeO

Postby EnderWiggins » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:41 pm

BeO wrote:4. Database content: A fresh catalog with 1 image imported and 2 variants, you'll find 6 records in several tables (in each of them) plus 1 record for each additional LA layer.
Wow, it seems that EACH LAYER has its own record for METADATA.

Maybe they prepare a future feature where each layer can have a keyword, and a contact sheet etc.? :?

I assume the C1 catalog is not a database catalog in the classical sense (and "normalization" and "proper" database design for an agile growing application is a beast:-). It is used to store some data for the C++ object oriented application.

And a lot of file I/O based operations have to be done due to the nature of the application (being an application to acutally show the content of files (thumbnails) to the user, not only listing a table of image attritutes).

Wow. If that is indeed true, it explains a lot. If there is really a metadata record for every single variant, this is either the most moronic data model in the history of data models or - more likely - C1 does not use the SQL database for the catalog at all.

This would also explain why some user found out, that C1 has a very small number of index tables in the SQL database compared to Aperture and LR.
EnderWiggins

Postby BeO » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:21 pm

EnderWiggins wrote:Wow. If that is indeed true, it explains a lot. If there is really a metadata record for every single variant, this is either the most moronic data model in the history of data models or - more likely - C1 does not use the SQL database for the catalog at all.

Having a metadata record for each variant is correct, as each variant can have its own metadata and that's a good thing. But why 2 records for each variant, and why a metadata record for each layer? These are not filled with values as far as have seen, yet it seems far from being a decent usage of database techniques.

The LR database looks totally different, they have much more tables for example.

My guess is that C1 algorithms work mainly on memory objects, once all information is loaded from the database it's all done im memory.
That's not a bad thing a priori, but C1 performance proves that either this approach or its actual implementation it is behind its competitors.

Also, why is there a keyword table but the keywords of the variant seem not to refer to these records? (the variants metadata records have the keywords as a string....?) Probably because a relation table between keywords and variants could grow very much. Instead it is likely managed in the application, less records needed (for the relation) but usually more prone to flaws in the application.

It all has its pros and cons. WIth respective care and investment the catalog of C1 could work like a charm, either way.

Cheers,
BeO
BeO

Postby SnappyMcGee » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:31 am

BobRockefeller wrote:212143
Show the actual camera's focus points as an overlay to the image with the active focus point highlighted in some way. This Lightroom plug-in is an example: http://www.lightroomfocuspointsplugin.com. And Aperture used to have this as a built in feature.

Totally agree. I was a bit shocked that this isn't an existing feature.

Once you've seen it in Aperture, you understand why this should be a default feature. So useful.
SnappyMcGee

Postby dancar » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:09 am

Good stuff oliver11.

As a shooter coming from Aperture and also uses Photomechanic and GIFT for certain clients there's a few little things that would make C1 a really good all round program. Agreed, the RAW engine is far far superior to Lightroom.

1/ 100% agree on the "Do not Import Duplicates".
If people don't see the merit in this instance you are extremely lucky that you are afforded the time to split your cards / imports. The rest of us that need to just jam in a card and import, this is incredibly useful.

2/ View Original Image key.
Agreed. Creating variants is also time consuming and you can lose track of your images this way in the thumbs. Again, if you have a lot of time on your hands you may not need it. Those needing a single second to review a WB correction this is a great feature.

3/ Focus Point Display. Not critical at all, but really useful.

A REALLY massive one for agency shooters:

4/ Metadata Editor Panel / Dialogue box for import.
Being able to edit your Metadata on the fly on import is again super important. Having all your images setup correctly and Keywords added on import save a huge amount of headaches down the track. For those that need to alter the Captions, this is great rather than having to copy and past the Presets to already imported images and maybe over-writing image or text edits. Yes I know you can make User Presets, but it's a very long way around to doing it.

5/ Option to use Return or Enter to finalise a Crop
This could already be an option but I've not found it, sorry if that is the case. Just so natural to hit Return to finalise a Crop or rotation adjustment.

C1 is a great program and already seen a huge set of changes to capture the Aperture market, it's by far better than that other option out there.

Note: I have put these thought a support ticket :)
dancar

Next

Return to Capture One 9.x Software