LAB Colour Readouts

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

LAB Colour Readouts

Postby Denyer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Hey all,
I'm trying to have my colours display in LAB values to allow for better cast analysis and colour correction. Am I being ignorant, as I cannot seem to find a way to display it next to / in place of the RGB/HSV readouts.

Can't imagine that CaptureOne would be missing something so fundamental, so I can only assume I'm doing something stupid.

Kindest regards,
Den
Denyer

Re: LAB Colour Readouts

Postby Denyer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm

(Also, if there is any way to have pinned colour readout bubbles display in HSV/LAB that would be a tremendous help, RGB readouts are next to useless)
Denyer

Postby deejjjaaaa » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:34 pm

C1 sells CH edition for several thousand $$$ where you can have Lab readouts, but really it is time to give a regular C1 Pro users a simple feature - if you place a color readout when you have RGB color space for proofing then display (optionally) not only RGB, but also Lab or if C1 dealers are so greedy to lock the Lab readouts for CH edition then at least some of HSV/HSB/HSL representation of the current RGB proof space... RGB translation to HSV/HSL/HSB forms is simple, easy to code... C1 already have HSV indication in Color Editor - what is matter to add to regular color readouts ? beats me...
deejjjaaaa

Postby Denyer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:01 am

Even Lightroom has LAB readouts, I thought I was escaping the clutches of the ever-laggier Adobe to a better place. You'd think with the sophistication of C1's grading tools that some useful readouts would have been par for the course.

Troubling indeed, looks like I might be still be stuck using C1 for demosaicing and then Photoshop for the colour work.
Denyer

Postby Bryce » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:59 am

I've found a possible solution. See my post:

Missing CIE L*a*b* color readout – a real workaround

viewtopic.php?f=61&t=24362

Sorry, but it only works on a Mac. Maybe a Windows user could contact the author to ask if he could create a Windows version?
Bryce

Postby NN635464888934308424UL » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:20 pm

In the Windows world there is something called the Instant Eyedropper which does that for you, but it is far from ideal because (like the Mac version), it reads values off the screen, not off the processed file, and these can be different depending on your color management choices.

I am stumped as well as to why PhaseOne would deliberately cripple an otherwise great product.
NN635464888934308424UL

Postby Dinarius » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:40 pm

Am I right in thinking that C1 v.10 doesn't have Lab readouts, but the new v.11 does?

Thanks.

D.
Dinarius

Postby Tibor » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:38 pm

Dinarius wrote:Am I right in thinking that C1 v.10 doesn't have Lab readouts, but the new v.11 does?

Thanks.

D.

You are correct. The v11 release notes says:

Phase One wrote:Lab Readouts
Due to popular request, the Lab readouts function has been added to the application, giving Lab values at the cursor point in the image. Enable Lab readouts from the View menu.

Hope this helps.
Tibor

Using C1 Pro 11 on El Capitan 10.11.6 (production Mac Pro) and High Sierra 10.13.2 (home iMac).
Tibor

Postby Dinarius » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:24 pm

You are correct. The v11 release notes says:

Phase One wrote:Lab Readouts
Due to popular request, the Lab readouts function has been added to the application, giving Lab values at the cursor point in the image. Enable Lab readouts from the View menu.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thanks.

Though I think you can't edit in Lab; is this correct?

i.e. In Curves, at the moment, you can edit individual R,G,B, channels, as well as just Luma.

But, you can't select L, a, b, in Curves after switching to Lab view, can you?

Thanks again.

D.
Dinarius

Return to Capture One 9.x Software