Capture One Session on NAS crashing: "database is locked"

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x and 9.x

Capture One Session on NAS crashing: "database is locked"

Postby RJKP » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:52 am

Please help..

I'm trying to use Capture One Sessions from a new QNAP NAS/DAS, I'm connected via Thunderbolt to get the best connection speeds for editing, and it's also connected to my home network via 1Gb/s Ethernet cable.

All other file access (speed tests, streaming movies, editing huge files in Photoshop, etc) seems to be working fine, but Capture One keeps crashing while using a session from the NAS server location.

I start using a Session in Capture One 9.2.1, everything normally works fine on my/any Mac, but when I start using a C1 Session that's stored on the QNAP NAS/DAS via Thunderbolt, all seems to be working fine, scrolling images, editing images, then after about 10 or so minutes.. bam! the Capture One Session crashes with this error:

"An error occurred and the session "2016_08_27 - MISC" must close." "An unrecoverable error was encountered while working with the session database. database is locked. The session will now close."
and with WiFi (network) off, only connected via Thunderbolt:
"An error occurred and the session "2016_08_27 - MISC" must close." "An unrecoverable error was encountered while working with the session database. cannot start a transaction within a transaction. The session will now close."

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?!?!

Thanks!
RJKP

Re: Capture One Session on NAS crashing: "database is locked

Postby Albertopetro » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Hallo, did anyone told you how to solve the problem?
I know it was few years ago, but I have the same problem with C1 20 using a new Qnap was connected via thunderbolt 3.
Did anyone has a solution?
Albertopetro

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:54 pm

When you open a catalog, it places a writelock file in it. The existence of this prevents other users from opening is, for example from a network share.

When you close the catalog, the writelock file is removed.

However, sometimes the writelock file is not removed, for example when Capture One has crashed or you disconnected from the network storage before closing down Capture One.

As a result the file stays locked.

To resolve this, open the catalog folder. On Mac, right-click and choose Show package contents. You will immediately notice the writelock file. Delete it. Yes, this is completely harmless. Next, open the catalog again from Capture One.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN636922346021249284UL » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:16 pm

Paul_Steunebrink wrote:To resolve this, open the catalog folder. On Mac, right-click and choose Show package contents. You will immediately notice the writelock file. Delete it. Yes, this is completely harmless. Next, open the catalog again from Capture One.

I am getting this error message as well. However it only happens if I leave the C1 window to i.e spotify, open a file in photoshop etc. And I am working on a session, not a catalog. Can't seem to find a writelock file? Does the same apply for this?
NN636922346021249284UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:11 pm

NN636922346021249284UL wrote:
Paul_Steunebrink wrote:To resolve this, open the catalog folder. On Mac, right-click and choose Show package contents. You will immediately notice the writelock file. Delete it. Yes, this is completely harmless. Next, open the catalog again from Capture One.

I am getting this error message as well. However it only happens if I leave the C1 window to i.e spotify, open a file in photoshop etc. And I am working on a session, not a catalog. Can't seem to find a writelock file? Does the same apply for this?

With a session there is not writelock file. However, if you work with a session on a NAS, latency of the network connection might cause issues. Try to open the session on your local drive to resolve the issue.

If you work on a local drive already, try to fix this with a verification. If that does not help, replace the session file. There is an article on the web that explains this. Do a search for 'fix a corrupt session file'.
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Capture One 10.x and 9.x Software