Saving and transfer of adjustments

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 10.x and 9.x

Saving and transfer of adjustments

Postby duskwind » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:48 pm

I've been using C1 for some time now after switching from Lightroom and I'm still not quite sure how adjustments are being saved.

In LR there is a XMP file for every image and even though I did not use autosave, I could just save my adjustments to the XMP files every now and then with Ctrl+S.
As long as I always kept the XMP with the RAW file I was able to read the adjustments with LR after moving the files or after importing to a new library.

How does that work with C1? Is it true that adjustments can only be saved in the catalogue and not in a sidecar file?

I now have one catalogue into which I import all my photos, view them, cull and delete. Then I export selected images for editing as originals and import those to a catalogue that I only use for editing.
I would like to be able to transfer those adjustments to the original catalogue too.
Is there a way to do this?
duskwind

Re: Saving and transfer of adjustments

Postby David532 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:09 pm

First I am surprised you are using sidecar files with Lightroom, it is predicated on using the catalogue to store all its data. Capture One can be used in 2 modes, catalogue similar to Lightroom and session. Neither require sidecar xmp files. That being said Capture One like Lightroom can read and write to xmp and this can be handy for moving things like keywords from one app to the other. But to be clear you can only transfer some metadata using xmp you cannot transfer any develop settings.
David532

Postby duskwind » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:19 pm

Catalogues can go corrupt, which has happened to me twice during almost ten years of using Lightroom. I was lucky that I had been saving all my adjustments to the sidecar files. I could just start new catalogues and import all my images with their adjustments from the XMP files.

So I gather this is not possible with C1? If I were to start a new catalogue and import some RAW files that had been edited in another catalogue I'd have to start from scratch?
duskwind

Postby AiDon » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 am

duskwind wrote:So I gather this is not possible with C1? If I were to start a new catalogue and import some RAW files that had been edited in another catalogue I'd have to start from scratch?

No, like Lightroom, you can import from another catalog.
AiDon

Postby gusferlizi » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:18 pm

Just back up your catalogs frequently...
gusferlizi

Postby NNN634221267024107395 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:21 am

This is highly disturbing. What it really means is that migrating from Capture One to another RAW converter/DAM solution would lose all develop settings.

Lightroom plays nice and makes it possible to write all your adjustment settings to the XMP.
The same goes for Darktable, the developers of Darktable even recommend you save all your settings to XMP for migration and to prevent data loss in case of database errors. (https://www.darktable.org/usermanual/en/core_options.html)
NNN634221267024107395

Return to Capture One 10.x and 9.x Software