Spot Removal Stops

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Spot Removal Stops

Postby Real Ale » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Hi, I am editing an old B &W photo. It has many spots needing removing. Unfortunately after a while Spot Remover stops working. I am using a small radius in order to preserve detail. I am only about a ¼ (may be a little less) through completing the whole photo.
I am guessing it has something to do with the number of spots covered, as when I move one of the rings from one spot to another, the spot it is put on disappears and the one it was taken from reappears.
In the Spot Removal Box within the Local Adjustments section it states 100 of 100. Is this the max it will go to :?:
Is there a way in which I can prevent it from stopping :?:
I have identified 3 layers to work in, (1) person 1, (2) person 2, (3) background.
I am using Capture Pro One 9.3, Windows 10.
Thanks for any advice or help you are able to give.
Real Ale

Re: Spot Removal Stops

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:45 pm

100 is the maximum for C1.

Really I think you need a different approach or a graphics editor rather than a RAW converter - something that has been developed with major "fixing" of a graphics file as the basis for its existence.

HTH.

Grant
SFA

Postby Real Ale » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:56 pm

Thanks for letting me know that 100 is the max - that is fine - could not find the limit in their "help" or "Q & A".
The rest of your comment is not particularly helpful and was not really relevant or required. If any product includes a function it is there to be used. For myself I am using C1 for converting RAW files, but will also use any other facilities it offers before sending the photo to a editor. If there are limitations restrictions that is fine and these should be easily found and I have no problem with that. Whilst C1 is a converter it has moved on from being a converter only and does have a number of editing features that are very useful to use whilst in RAW format.
Real Ale

Postby SFA » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Real Ale wrote:Thanks for letting me know that 100 is the max - that is fine - could not find the limit in their "help" or "Q & A".
The rest of your comment is not particularly helpful and was not really relevant or required. If any product includes a function it is there to be used. For myself I am using C1 for converting RAW files, but will also use any other facilities it offers before sending the photo to a editor. If there are limitations restrictions that is fine and these should be easily found and I have no problem with that. Whilst C1 is a converter it has moved on from being a converter only and does have a number of editing features that are very useful to use whilst in RAW format.

Hmm.

I was merely suggesting that, as things stand and based on your description of the task you face, for your spot and dust repair you would very likely be better off going straight for an application that has the capability and capacity you need rather than attempting to make some aspect of C1 functionality perform a task for which it may well not have been intended.

However, if you really want to seek a solution within C1 you could possibly attempt to do something with local adjustment layers and masks that would augment the sort of spot and dust fixing that is available but using a different approach.

Personally I would not attempt that, based on the work that you have described.

Yes, I have looked into it previously.

It would be very useful if you could try it out anyway to discover whether I was wrong.

Grant
SFA

Postby Real Ale » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks for your reply and suggestion. I will try it out but I am inclined to agree that doing more on this aspect of the process may be better left for another application.
The reason for so many spots is because it is a 75+year old B & W photo of my folks wedding, which was kept in an old photo album. My multifunction whilst meeting my everyday needs is rubbish at copying / scanning photos. On the rare occasion I do want a copy or play around with a photo, I photographic it using my Pentax K3 and a fixed 55mm lens. - hence me using C1 to process the RAW file.
Real Ale

Postby Keith Reeder » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:20 am

Real Ale wrote:Whilst C1 is a converter it has moved on from being a converter only and does have a number of editing features that are very useful to use whilst in RAW format.

But it is not intended as an alternative to PhotoShop and the like.

Honestly, Capture One is the wrong tool for the job you're doing.
Keith Reeder
Keith Reeder

Postby Real Ale » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:50 pm

Hi, I appreciate what you are saying and in fact I have now completed the project in Affinity. Putting it through C1 for a conversion I have ended up with a better end product than taking the RAW format through Affinity or even Elements from beginning to end, which I did for comparison of the conversion part of the process. (I have both but am dropping Elements now that Affinity for windows is out. I have never used photoshop and will not as I do not want a subscription system).
I understand what you are all advising and it is sound but, all I was trying to explain I do only use C1 as a converter then pass it on to Affinity, but I do like using all the facilities offered in C1 and in this case it was spot removal and I was not aware there was a limit on this and nothing came up about it in the Webinars, Q & A, or in this forum, so I thought I would ask. Now I know
Real Ale

Return to Capture One 9.x Software