Capture One Pro 9.1.2 very slow

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 9.x

Capture One Pro 9.1.2 very slow

Postby col_du_aspin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:53 am

Just wondering if anyone can help me work out why Capture One Pro 9 seems to be running so slow on my Mac. I am currently running a trial version but for the last 13 days I can't explain why this software is slow and unresponsive at times.

Problems:

1) For example whether the images are stored inside the catalog or in a folder running of the computer's internal hard drive, it's extremely slow to click from one thumbnail to another (you can see the spinning beach ball). Only happens on TIF files which have been edited from Nikon Raw files (D4 or D810).

Additionally switching from Catalog Collection to User Collection, there is a long pause and the spinning beach ball appears.

2) Also when I am using the computer only on battery mode, changing between different tabs i.e from colour to exposure, it seems to take seconds and you can see the spinning beach ball.

3)Is there a way to edit RAW files as PSD instead of TIF when editing via Photoshop link in Capture One ?

My computer specifications are:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) with 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16GB RAM.

I have disabled software's ability to use GPU but makes no difference. Even the preview image size has been reduced to 2048 pixels.

I'm scratching my head as to what else could be causing the problems ? Any guidance would be appreciated.
col_du_aspin

Re: Capture One Pro 9.1.2 very slow

Postby fotojenic777 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Well documented that COP is not quick. However after horrendous times of spinning beachball and endless disk thrashing I raised a case and they shadowed my iMac whilst it was having these issues. They did acknowledge that there was an identifiable issue and a bug reference has been raised. No indication of which release the fix will be in. Currently using 9.2 Beta 2 and there are some improvements in that version but still waiting for my issue to be fixed.

Just like to add how good it is to see the support guys going to the lengths of shadowing a users mac/pc - can't really see Adobe doing that...
fotojenic777

Postby tenmangu81 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi,

My config is about the same as yours (MBP 15" Retina mid 2014) and I don't experience such flaws.
Yes, switching from "All images" in Catalog Collection to an "User collection" may take some seconds (less than 5, and I have 16000 images), i.e. slower than the other competitors (Lightroom for instance), but it's OK for me.
Even on battery mode, the switch from one tool tab to another doesn't take any delay.
I guess something is wrong in your computer configuration, or the previews haven't been created correctly ?
tenmangu81

Postby col_du_aspin » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:42 pm

thanks for the feedback. I might uninstall and reinstall the app and see if it makes a difference.

The software itself is amazing, highlights and shadow recovery is probably my favourite feature.

Additionally, I will look into installing Windows 10 on my mac and see if that makes a difference otherwise I might end up exploring options for a cheap PC based editing computer. If Capture One is going to struggle on a macbook pro, it doesn't instil much confidence running it on an iMac.

Anyone running this application on a Mac Pro and still experience lags ?
col_du_aspin

Postby NN635948345757624830UL » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:57 am

I have a Mac Pro End 2016 3,5GHz 6-Core 16 GB and the same problems. Capture One is extremely slow and it is not possible to work with it. I imported about 60000 pictures from Lightroom. With Lightroom, I had no problems in respect of speed. I am very disappointed. The support does not answer.
NN635948345757624830UL

Postby col_du_aspin » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:15 pm

6 core processor and it still runs slow. Sounds like a bottleneck somewhere in the code. thank god my software days are behind me.
col_du_aspin

Postby col_du_aspin » Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:07 am

turns out i have worked out my slowness problem with TIF files. From my experience If you have a lot of layers in your TIF files then jumping between thumbnails is going to be slow as opposed to TIF files with a few or no layers.

This is a rather rudimentary experiment on a small catalog but makes me wonder why the difference in speed if all Capture One is showing is a rendered thumbnail ?

Phase One staff what's going on with your software ?
col_du_aspin

Postby NN635763134542939057UL » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:50 pm

I found outputting tifs to a subfolder within Output made a big difference to overall speed in C1. Comes at the expense of not being able to view the files within C1, but I'll take that over them slowing the whole program down.
NN635763134542939057UL

Postby Wilddog66 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:39 am

I use a late model iMac with maxed specs, 32Gb RAM and fusion drive.
I normally work with 20+ Mb files from Canon SLRs, but find at times the machine slowing significantly after image cropping, but particularly after significant local adjustments have been made. I frequently re-start the machine in an effort to get rid of the rolling colour "please wait" ball. Most frustrating!
Wilddog66

Postby col_du_aspin » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:13 am

I'm surprised you are having that problem because I dont experience problems like when I am editing within Capture One on RAW files.

If it comes to TIF, that is a world of pain I am not sure why I need to put up with.

Even with 9.2 switching between tif files is still slow.

Why these problems ?
col_du_aspin

Postby tenmangu81 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:30 pm

col_du_aspin wrote:I'm surprised you are having that problem because I dont experience problems like when I am editing within Capture One on RAW files.

If it comes to TIF, that is a world of pain I am not sure why I need to put up with.

Even with 9.2 switching between tif files is still slow.

Why these problems ?

I have read somewhere (but I don't remember where) that C1 had troubles when opening multilayers TIFF files, coming from Photoshop for instance. To be confirmed.
tenmangu81

Postby Wesley » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:18 pm

Has slow TIF load up been a CO9 thing or prior? I started with v9.0.1
Wesley

Postby dredlew » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:48 am

For me, TIFF file selection has always been slow in every version of 9.x. The amount of layers in it really shouldn't matter as other applications don't have a problem with it, they just read the embedded preview. It's actually quite the annoyance when trying to import new files; since the previous folder I imported from now contains several TIFF files, C1 just locks up and blocks me from changing the import folder until it has loaded all the TIFF files. Depending on how many TIFFs are in the folder, I just sit there and wait for a minute before I can do anything.
Fuji X-Pro2 - C1 11.3.0 on OSX 10.14.1 - MacPro (Late 2013) / 3.7GHz Xeon E5 / 64GB / 2x AMD FirePro D300 2GB / BenQ SW320 31.5in 4K
dredlew

Postby col_du_aspin » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:54 am

tenmangu81 wrote:I have read somewhere (but I don't remember where) that C1 had troubles when opening multilayers TIFF files, coming from Photoshop for instance. To be confirmed.

It's been my experience as well. For the life of me I dont understand why though Capture One would struggle, if it's just changing thumbnails which means the software shouldnt be reading the full file.

When you execute a complex task on the main thread, it normally locks up the entire application which is the case here. I know it's easy to criticise without having an indepth look at how the software is engineered.

It would be great to chat with the Phase One software team to see how they are using multi-threading/multi-core cpus to handle various operations.

Wesley wrote:Has slow TIF load up been a CO9 thing or prior? I started with v9.0.1

I only just started using Capture One with 9.0.1 and it has been slow but no experience with prior versions of CO9.
col_du_aspin

Postby picman2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:38 pm

I find version 9 considerably slower than previous versions. Changing folders, changing tools, all take about 2 seconds. Previous versions used to be snappy, that is totally gone I am sorry to say.
picman2

Next

Return to Capture One 9.x Software