Product photographers assemble

Discussions regarding Phase One XF and XT
Also lens discussion for Phase One, Schneider and Rodenstock lenses.

Product photographers assemble

Postby NNN637023511302796991 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:48 pm

I have had a studio for a while and have recently had an influx of product photography request. I was watching a video and the guy snagged a piece of plexiglass and spray painted the bottom black turned it over and had a reflective black surface to shoot on and I thought it was a pretty good idea. I know a lot of people use old pieces of wood, tile, marble, granite, cutting boards and things like that. does anybody have some cheap recommendations of things you can either get for free or relatively cheap that go a very long way with shooting products?

Any other small tips or tricks that you wish you knew when you started? I know to polish most things, focus stacking etc.

Weird part for me is messing around with flagging and shooting through things to get nice reflections and glows to them.
NNN637023511302796991

Re: Product photographers assemble

Postby NNN637042721829208140 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:14 pm

NNN637023511302796991 wrote:I have had a studio for a while and have recently had an influx of product photography request. I was watching a video and the guy snagged a piece of plexiglass and spray painted the bottom black turned it over and had a reflective black surface to shoot on and I thought it was a pretty good idea. I know a lot of people use old pieces of wood, tile, hosterpak, ctrentacar, resellerboards and things like that. does anybody have some cheap recommendations of things you can either get for free or relatively cheap that go a very long way with shooting products?

Any other small tips or tricks that you wish you knew when you started? I know to polish most things, focus stacking etc.

Weird part for me is messing around with flagging and shooting through things to get nice reflections and glows to them.

If you want some wood, for a base or background, you can get a sheet of laminate flooring at Home Depot pretty cheap, and it usually looks good. They will also sell, or just give away, broken/chipped tile. You can also get brick/stone veneer siding, its made of plastic but looks like real brick, you can also get brick flats, which are like the first 1/2" of a brick face cut off, then just glue it to some plywood and voila, a custom brick wall!

Anytime you see old barn boards for sale, maybe snag a few of them. People love the look of that old, dried out, semi-rotted, splitting wood, lol.

Keep a sheet of clear plexiglass on hand, if you mount it inbetween 2 stands with a white dropcloth behind it, then point a flash at that backdrop from underneath, while simultaneously lighting the object sitting on the plexiglass, it will look like it's floating against a pure white background, no need to do any selecting in photoshop. This bottle of slime is a quick test I did, it's sitting on top of a piece of clear plexiglass, with a white backdrop, I had 1 light against the backdrop from underneath, and then 1 strip box in front on either side.
NNN637042721829208140

Re: Product photographers assemble

Postby NN635007834153997953UL » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:54 pm

ikea kitchen furniture walls are great for the shiny surfaces ! Come in different colors and very cheap.
NN635007834153997953UL

Return to Phase One XF and XT