XF shutter problem?

Discussions regarding Phase One XF and XT
Also lens discussion for Phase One, Schneider and Rodenstock lenses.

XF shutter problem?

Postby Bill9 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:13 am

My XF/IQ 380 combination has stopped working. It powers up properly and makes all the right sounds when taking a picture - but nothing shows up on the 380 screen. The image area is just black, although everything else is there - the focus and exposure boxes, the level indicator,the histogram etc.

The CF card is likewise a collection of black "pictures" when uploaded to Capture One on my Mac. I've changed the card, the lens and the batteries to no avail. Pictures on another card inserted in the back do show up in "Play" so I'm fairly sure its not the back that is at fault. Seems as if the shutter is not opening.

The mirror does go up as it should. Whether the camera is set for FPS or LS makes no difference. Returning both camera and back to factory defaults makes no difference. I have updated the firmware for both and it was fine for at least 500 exposures so I don't think that is the issue.

Before I send it back to my dealer (300 kms away), has anybody any suggestions?
Bill9

Re: XF shutter problem?

Postby Christian Gruner » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:51 am

Before you send it back, provide our Support Team with a raw file (when it is black). The raw file contains a lot of information about the camera, that can be used for troubleshooting.
Christian Gruner
Crew
Crew

Postby Bill9 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:12 am

I have already sent it to my dealer, but with the CF card and its RAW files. I'm looking forward to hearing what the problem is!

Thank you for responding. I'll update this thread when I know more.
Bill9

Postby Bill9 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:25 am

Turns out the problem was solved by complete resets of the body and back with lens and back removed. Seems (from my dealer) there have been a few cases of this issue since the firmware upgrades.
But all is well now!
Bill9

Postby jtremblay » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:52 pm

I've had an issue with the XF attached to IQ180 back where in the middle of shooting it records a complete black frame. The frame prior and the frame after the all black frame exposes correctly. They have asked me to re-install the firmware upgrades to both the XF body and the IQ180 back. The update to firmware on the body stalled halfway through and I'm not stuck -

arghhhhh

waiting to hear back from support.

I've also had an issue with the prism not being recognized - also in the middle of shooting the prism suddenly stops working. Shutting off camera and turning back on (reboot) solves the issue. I'm hopeful if and when I get the firmware re-installed it takes care of this issue as well
jtremblay

Return to Phase One XF and XT