Help choosing my next Phase One system

Discussions regarding Phase One 645 XF
Also lens discussion for Phase One and Schneider lenses.

Help choosing my next Phase One system

Postby NN635503104733533977UL » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:29 pm

For years I have been a Canon man, but about a year ago I took the leap into Phase One. Bought a second hand Hasselblad 500 CM and a second hand P30, and a 50mm FLE and a 80mm as well. I am now (naturally) addicted to the image quality of the Phase One back, and I really don't see myself not using Capture One either. Love the combination!

I wanted the HB body so that I could do analog art projects on the side, but it also leaves me crimpled. It is just to slow to set up and shoot at professional jobs, so most of the time I end up bringing my 5D MK2 instead. I am not a "fast shooter", so I don't really need a camera that is all that fast, I just need something that is a bit closer to the 5D MK2. If it could make decent pictures up to ISO 400 it would help too, since I do some low light work.

By the way, see my shooting style and portofolio at http://www.raymondengmark.com

I don't want to invest more into any of the two systems that I have today, I want to find a combination that works, and most important - I want to find a system where I can keep the lenses and upgrade back and body.

I work and live in a small town above the artic circle and don't have a big-spender-budget. My limit for a second hand system is 5000 to 10000 euros. Leaf shutter and auto focus is a must, however it's not a problem if some lenses are manual focus.

What should I aim for?

PS! Sorry if this was the wrong part of the forum, could not find any place better
NN635503104733533977UL

Re: Help choosing my next Phase One system

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:49 pm

You could consider trading in your P30 (with V mount) for a P or P+ back with P/M mount (P/M means Phase One/Mamiya) plus a Phase One 645DF or -DF+ back. Both may be available refurbished through a Phase One dealer.

You have to re-invest in lenses for auto focus, although you can use your current Zeiss lenses through an adapter on the 645DF/DF+.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby NN635503104733533977UL » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:43 pm

Thanks for your input!

It's hard to find a website where I can see my different options. I assume that they make Phase One backs for Mamiya, Hasselblad H/V, Contax and Phase One bodys? Which means most upgrades will be a dead end street. It looks like the Phase One body is the way to go to avvoid buying and selling lenses and gear in the future.

Wikipedia says both 645DF and 645DF+ works with Hasselblad V backs - is this correct? When I read reviews it looks like only the DF+ does so? If I could upgrade the body now, and the back when it's due, that would be a nice solution. Does the DF/DF+ accept different backs, or do you need to order the camera to a spesific back? (in other words, can I buy a DF/DF+ and use the Hasselblad V back now, and one with P/M mount later?)

If I could sort out these issues, I think I know what to do. Thanks.
NN635503104733533977UL

Postby Paul_Steunebrink » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:33 pm

Wiki is in error. The 645DF/DF+ body accepts P/M mount backs only.
Best regards,
Paul E. Steunebrink, Image Alchemist (website All about Capture One), Capture One trainer
Paul_Steunebrink
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Postby aleksandryants » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:08 am

Hi,
With your budget you can get used IQ 140, the best way is to go with used DF+ body with you can find on Ebay for cheap or get it refurbished from PhaseOne. I recommend you to upgrade to IQ series backs over P/P+ as IQ series backs are way faster and they don't lag as often.
aleksandryants
Certified Professional
Certified Professional

Return to Phase One 645 XF