Merge Panorama & HDR like in Lightroom 6

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One PRO(For Sony), Capture One DB and Capture One Express(For Sony) 8.x.

Merge Panorama & HDR like in Lightroom 6

Postby NNN635022403475152212 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:09 pm

I consider CO8 to be the greatest tool for Photographer currently in the market....
nevertheless i always love looking at what the competition is doing and after playing a few days with the new Lr 6 there are only 2 things i wish very strongly
Merge HDR and Merge Panorama
Its really awesome that you can merge multiple RAW images in to a RAW file and you can do it without using Photoshop or converting the files as Tiff!!

Could that be integrated in a future CO8??

Thanks for listening

Ettore
NNN635022403475152212

Re: Merge Panorama & HDR like in Lightroom 6

Postby NNN635158767546269381 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:35 pm

Hallo,

This news features in Lightroom 6 are indeed impressive. However, I do need this most of the time. Sometimes Panorama which I handle with PS oder PTGui.

For myself, I would prefer that the PhaseOne team first consolidate the current features:
- increase catalogue performance
- even more optimize the software in term of speed, memory consumption, cache, IOs, ...
- even better (when possible) quality: Noise reduction, Dynamic's tool, etc...
- even better workflow: Keywords, etc..
- bugs fixes
- "compatible" PSD support. :-P

Maybe this feature would be nice for my workflow. Then I could remove Bride.
- Be able to *browse" directory without the need to add them to catalogue. brows such like Bridge do.

My wish: Keep CaptureOne a high quality picture management and picture/raw processing software. It is sometime dangerous to add too much stuff into a software.

Thanks for listening as well :-)
Last edited by NNN635158767546269381 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NNN635158767546269381

Postby Lars Broberg » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:30 pm

I totally agree with NNN635158767546269381.

Yes, the panorama and HDR stuff in LR6 is cool but I rather prefer the stuff NNN635158767546269381 asks for.
Performance and optimization is much more interesting, for me.
I would also like to have more lenses supported.

I use PTGui for my panoramas, and Photomatix for HDR.
Lars Broberg

Postby HansB » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:25 pm

I agree with NNN635158767546269381 and NN635513306989742303UL. CO is my RAW development tool, the results are excellent, and they keep improving it. That's better than having one tool that can do everything and results are just good. The stitching and stacking capabilities of PS never impressed me (starting with CS4), and for the LR users I only hope LR6 performs better than PS did and does.
Panorama and HDR are not my usual images, but I keep doing them. Focus stacking is more interesting for me, but I haven't got a great tool for that yet. Macro focus stacking in PS it means an awful lot of rework.

I am not a photo professional, I just love to do photography, and I am using
+ CO for RAW development
+ PS to retouch and for 'artwork'
and, as a long term Linux user, still using
+ Hugin for panoramas
+ Luminance HDR for, indeed, HDR

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby HCS » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:24 pm

+1 to the users supporting not to add more cool features, but focus on the hard core RAW conversion.

I believe that RAW conversion is a specialty task, just like HDR merging is, as well as focus stacking etc.

What i would welcome, is a tool (for me this may be added to CO) that can do all of those merge functions and create a new RAW file out of it. I don't mean DNG, because that isn't a RAW file if it doesn't come from the camera. I mean a proper RAW file of the type that the stack or sequence was started with, so nef, or cr2, etc. That would be really cool, but i feel we're not going to see this for a long time to come due to all sorts of reasons.
HCS

Postby NNN635222953796387171 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:49 pm

The market N.1 rule to be competitive is do what they other are doing ....but better

Merging multiple RAW images in to a DNG is a killing feature!
no question about that!
and yes i wish we could get that...now :cry:
you get that flexibility that a Tiff file won't give you not to mention the fact that personally i could finally ditch Adobe :evil:

said that i also wish first of all the CO will give us a better metadata toll
...the dead Apple Aperture is still the King for that!!

Cheers
Paul
Paul Berry Studio
NNN635222953796387171

Postby 6BQ5 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:58 pm

These new features begs the question : what does it mean to be a raw converter/processor? We know what it used to mean in the past but what will it mean in the future? It seems like the lines between Photoshop and Lightroom are starting to blur. Where will C1 stand in the future? I don't have an answer and I need time to form an opinion. It's very easy to come up with an impulsive answer that doesn't address long term growth.

I think being innovative and competitive means doing something that nobody expected you to do but turned out to be needed and now people can't live without.
Boris

See my photos on flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/50111087@N05/
6BQ5

Postby SFA » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:27 pm

6BQ5 wrote:
I think being innovative and competitive means doing something that nobody expected you to do but turned out to be needed and now people can't live without.

Interesting.

A few years ago I felt I really needed panorama merge as a differentiator and experimented with quite a few of the tools available at the time. But then decided it was not really such a big thing for me.

HDR .... maybe, but in most cases I can already do what I feel comfortable with seeing as an end result within C1.

Of course from a product marketing point of view being able to tick a box for functionality that people may think they want (even if they hardly ever use it) becomes a big deal. For users who have worked with a product over a longer term .... maybe not so much. There is an interesting balance to consider.

If there was an huge commercial demand for both features, especially from the MF back world, then Phase would surely put their quality reputation on the line to satisfy that need. But if there isn't and the feature is mainly for advanced amateur use is there still a good case to be made?

Consumers sort of expect their cameras and phones to have Panorama and even HDR built in these days and what is available (or will soon be available) probably satisfies the mass market. I note that Sony are advanced with that type of functionality.

It will be interesting to see (if we ever hear) what this new functionality offers in terms of Adobe's results for their Creative Cloud proposition.

Grant
SFA

Postby NNN635222953796387171 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:22 pm

6BQ5 wrote:These new features begs the question : what does it mean to be a raw converter/processor? We know what it used to mean in the past but what will it mean in the future? It seems like the lines between Photoshop and Lightroom are starting to blur. Where will C1 stand in the future? .

Evolution of a product is the key to long prosperity

There was a time when Adobe Camera Raw was a piece of junk and Capture One the only high quality converter to deal with raws

Today things are dramatically different, the simple fact that Adobe Lightroom 6 can stitch panorama and merge multiple exposure without having installed Adobe Photoshop in your computer it tell us the all story

Cheers
Paul
Paul Berry Studio
NNN635222953796387171

Postby Ian3 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 pm

NNN635222953796387171 wrote:
Evolution of a product is the key to long prosperity

Well, up to a point, as long as it doesn't become bloated with "features" at the expense of doing its core job really well.

Ian
Ian3

Postby 6BQ5 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:46 pm

@Grant,

HDR and panoramic stitching are examples of applications that turned out to be fads considering the marketing hype that went behind them in the past. People saw something new and were blown away it by it but then a lot of people grew tired of it. The popularity waned and now sits at some equalized level. Photographers understand what the tools really are about and use them when appropriate for what they are.

When I think of innovation some of the classic inventions that come to mind are the transistor, the hard drive, and the television. The modern world is practically built on and around the transistor. Hard drives are littered around the world storing nearly the entirety of the internet, and television evolve from fuzzy images on a CRT in the early 20th century to the razor sharp displays we have on our computers, iPads, and HDTV sets.

I'm all for new features where it makes sense. Ian brought up a good point about avoiding bloatware. Capture One does what it does very well and it's important for Phase One to stick to the core features. I would agree with Nicolas that Capture One may be better served by improving performance, the DAM tools, and the noise reduction/clarity tools. Going beyond that takes Phase One into adjacent markets. Maybe that is where they will go one day but then another question comes up.

Build or buy?

Should Phase One spend a lot of time building "me too" tools with a slightly different twist or should they (us?) buy them elsewhere for integration into Capture One? Phase One must have looked at their raw conversion technology, benchmarked it against the competition, and said that what they have is unique enough for building. Hence, we have Capture One out of it. Perhaps they could do the same thing with HDR, panoramic stitching, etc and asking the same question. The answer could be plug-ins.
Boris

See my photos on flickr : https://www.flickr.com/photos/50111087@N05/
6BQ5

Postby SFA » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:41 pm

Buy or build is always an interesting debate. Along with plug-ins.

In the background for this particular discussion on this forum are the Phase MF products and, presumably, a corporate philosophy that suggests a significant degree of control needs to be retained over products and development in order to retain the quality products image.

It's not really an easy task at all balancing the requirements of image against the realities of a fluctuating market ans the whims of the "buying public" - or even the whims of the targeted commercial professional markets.

In the end it rather depends on whether one can find a technically matching product (both technology and competence) that offers a quality matching reputation and looks to have a long enough life to make it worth the effort of getting involved. Once at that point one has to consider whether to buy (if that is an option) or partner with the developer.

It's tricky.

Buy and grow has worked for some but not all.

Just my observations.

Grant
SFA

Postby fandrei » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:43 am

HCS wrote:+1 to the users supporting not to add more cool features, but focus on the hard core RAW conversion.

It's not that you have to choose only one.
As for me, I'm not a hardcore pro photographer and the need to buy an extra application to make panoramas is a drawback.
So now I'm thinking if I should upgrade to v10 or go for Lightroom instead.
fandrei

Postby AiDon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:16 pm

fandrei wrote:As for me, I'm not a hardcore pro photographer and the need to buy an extra application to make panoramas is a drawback.
So now I'm thinking if I should upgrade to v10 or go for Lightroom instead.

Why don't you use Hugin for stitching panoramas? Much better than LR and it is free!
AiDon

Return to Capture One 8.x Software