big negative scans are locked and cannot be edited

Discussions, questions, comments and suggestions regarding Capture One PRO, Capture One DB and Capture One Express 8x and 7.x

big negative scans are locked and cannot be edited

Postby Hybrid » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:56 pm

I just imported a buch of negative scans from a SD card, scanned with Fuji SP-3000 and edited in Photoshop CS4 for Mac. Some of those jpegs are readonly (they have are strikethrough pencil in the lower right corner of the thumbnail preview). When I do "show in finder and hit cmd+i) finder says it is not readonly. Some other image of the same import are not readonly. Why is that so, and what can I do against it?

Another interesting observation is that in the import dialog the preview thumbnail is not generated but after the import the thumbnails are actually there in capture one.

The option "enable JPEG editing" under preferences is checked (on).

Update:

It seems it is related to this issue.

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=16322

The behavior is pretty similar, just that my scans images are rather big.
Hybrid

Re: big negative scans are locked and cannot be edited

Postby SebastianS » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:37 pm

Scans or images need to be in a colorspace and have a profile assigned to them. Save the scan as a RGB or CMYK file and assign a color profile (AdobeRGB or sRGB .etc) to it and it will work.
SebastianS
Crew
Crew

Postby Mark BCN » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:04 am

I use a Photoshop batch script to convert grayscale TIFFs into RGB format. If you use 'zip' compression when saving from Photoshop the resulting files are more or less the same size as the originals, and can be edited in C1.

When editing monochrome images in this form make sure to check C1's 'black and white' processing option. For some reason using auto-adjust gives a colour shift - not something you might expect with binary identical RGB channels. Presumably there is something not quite right with the auto-white balance adjustment.
Mark BCN

Postby Hybrid » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:49 pm

I can confirm that it indeed was because of a missing colorspace. I have one problem now: I only have the JPEGs and I do not have access to the scanner anymore. What would be the least destructive way to add a colorspace to the image as SebastianS describes? I really would like to avoid that the images are run through another JPEG compression, ideally I just want to add the metadata to the file without touching the actual pixels, is that at all possible?
Hybrid

Postby HansB » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:14 pm

If you are not afraid of the command line, you can try this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6740 ... h-exiftool
It will only attach the profile and not re-compress the image.

There is an exiftool .dmg for Mac OS X install here:
http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Hope it works.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Postby HansB » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:27 pm

An addition just to the ease the use:

exiftool can apply changes to all JPEGs in a folder using the option '-ext jpg' and it will work recursive with the option '-r'.

Make sure to use the right profile.

Regards,
Hans
HansB

Return to Capture One 8.x and 7.x Software